Bug? In Icon Cache

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

romulous

Bug? In Icon Cache

Post by *romulous »

Hi,

On my PC, everytime I open TC, it will lose the icons for a particular file extension (for example, .xls files) & rather than displaying the normal icon that is associated with that file extension, it will just display a generic "white window with blue title bar" icon. However, if you double click on the file, it will still open in the associated program, it just displays the icon incorrectly. Once you close TC & reopen it, this extension will be fine, but another will have lost its icon & will display as the generic icon (for example, jpg). Has anyone else noticed this? You can of course go into Files-Associate With & just click ok (this will somehow refresh the display so that the correct icon is displayed), but this is terribly annoying as TC loses the icon for a filetype every time it is opened on my PC. I've noticed this problem on the last few vesions of TC.

CM
Clo

Infos, please...

Post by *Clo »

:) Hello!
• I'm using the newest TC 6.02 under Win 98SE and XP-Pro.
• I didn't noticed such a problem. Maybe have you a program running in the same time, like a virus scanner ? In some cases, that could disturb some functions in TC.
• You might watch the icons in Win Explorer, in order to compare and see if all file-types icons are present...

• Please, tell us what version(s) of TC you are using, what OS, and the main infos about the PC, network (if existing) etc.
Glad to hear more,
:mrgreen:  Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
GaMMa

Post by *GaMMa »

I have A PIII, 1000Mhz, 384MB RAM, WinXP with all Updates and TC6.01. I have the same problem. I already had it with TC6.00 on Win2000, it was just the same.
I don't think that my antivirus program is the problem (F-Prot). I don't wanna test it, because i had to disable it for a very long time then, to be sure that it doesn't happen anymore.
romulous

Post by *romulous »

And I have a different AV program (Norton AntiVirus), so it's not that. My PC is an AMD Athlon XP 2100+, 512MB of RAM running XP Home, no network & TC v6.02 (but it happened on previous versions as I said). When the icons in TC are changed, the icons for the same file extensions in Windows Explorer are fine - they show the icons they are meant to, indicating that it is a TC problem.
Clo

Plugins ?

Post by *Clo »

2romulous
• Well, we have to wait and see whether other users had the same issue.
• An idea : have you many plugins for TC / Lister installed ? If you have, please try to disable them one by one, maybe the problem should disappear...
• I don't think that TC itself be faulty, since I never see that, and don't hear anything like this...

:mrgreen:   K R
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

TC loses the icon for a filetype every time it is opened on my PC
Maybe this is related to the windows icon cache, which is pretty small by default.

Try to increase the value (default: 512) at :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Max Cached Icons
Last edited by sqa_wizard on 2004-03-08, 11:42 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#5767 Personal license
romulous

Post by *romulous »

2 sqa_wizard: Wouldn't this mean that Windows Explorer is affected by the problem too? It's not on my PC - only TC has the problem.
romulous

Post by *romulous »

2Clo:
-At least one has (see post above) :-)
-no plugins for TC itself, 2 for Lister...but wouldn't Lister plugins only affect TC like this if Lister was running all the time?
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

As ghisler described in http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2908 Total Commander uses it's own icon caching mechanism.

In http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=3420 ghisler provides a workaround. Files/Associate/OK rebuilds the TC icon cache.
romulous

Post by *romulous »

Well, that explains why the problem only affects TC. The "Files-Associate With" workaround is what I've been using, but it quickly gets annoying doing this everytime you open TC (filetype icons disappear everytime TC opens on my PC) - a fix for the problem itself would be better. I wonder if it is listed in Christian's "list of bugs to be fixed"? Maybe something as simple as TC dropping its own cache & using the Windows one?
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 08-03-2004 13:20:59 +0000 romulous wrote:

r> I wonder if it is listed in Christian's "list of bugs to be
r> fixed"?

Well, AFAIK no - it looks like Christian just refused to do something with this problem. Actually it's well-known, I have reported about it rather long time ago.

CG> Sorry, no idea what the problem could be. Sounds like a
CG> corrupted shelliconcache. Try to fix it with tweakui.

BD> As you see, not only I have this situation. I do rebuild
BD> shelliconcache not ones but Commander still have this
BD> problem, while explorer shows all icons perfectly.

CG> Unfortunately I don't have any other similar reports, sorry.
CG> Btw, which file types are affected?

BD> Just any type, Christian. Today TXT, tomorrow JPG or MP3,
BD> or all of them at once.

CG> Hmm, this is very strange because Windows Commander
CG> extracts their icons only once and then keeps them as BMPs
CG> in an internal cache!

BD> Hmm... Is it possible to force Commander rebuild this
BD> cache?

CG> Yes, Files - Associate - OK. But I guess that the icon
CG> extract handler crashes on your system because of an
CG> explorer extension which isn't thread-safe.

BD> Yeah, one by one - the way I do it all the time. I mean is
BD> it possible to rebuild the whole cache at once? Like in
BD> explorer?

CG> When you do this, Wincmd discards all loaded icons and
CG> starts to reload them.

BD> I mean, is it possible to and an internal command for cache
BD> rebuilding?

CG> Hmm, currently it's not planned. Is this really needed?

etc.[/face]
romulous

Post by *romulous »

Thanks for the info Black Dog. Looks as though we will just have to put up with it for the time being & hope that it does make it onto the list sometime in the future...
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

Black Dog wrote:[face=courier]On 08-03-2004 13:20:59 +0000 romulous wrote:

CG> Hmm, currently it's not planned. Is this really needed?
[/face]
Sometimes, I also have the file type association icon problem, and in Chinese forum I've seen some ppl reported this problem too.

So, Yes! we really need it. :!:
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

I've had this occur a couple of times, but its very rare for me. I usually just restart Total Commander, since I notice it seconds after I open it.
Because until now, it's only affected filetypes in the startup directories (the last used directories from last session).
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
Gingo

Post by *Gingo »

I too have had this problem for quite some time, a couple of years at least I think. For me, just restarting TC usually fixes it.