F4MiniMenu (AHK): F4Menu w. Drag&Drop, filelist, cmdline (XYPlorer, Everything, Explorer, Double Commander)

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Re: F4MiniMenu (AHK): F4Menu w. Drag&Drop, filelist, cmdline (XYPlorer, Everything, Explorer, Double Commander)

Post by *AntonyD »

Just like F4MiniMenu-64i.exe, F4TCIE-64.exe also has to be renamed to end with an i
If you are using the INI format to store your settings be sure to rename the script to end with an "i" (see 'XML or INI' above)
For me, as a non-native English speaker, after the translator, this text in the help does not carry an unambiguous interpretation that "BOTH executable FILES for each bitness must be simultaneously renamed." Please then state it exactly as I suggested.
Also about this second executable file it is said - that this is just an auxiliary/Helper element, which should work only for the case of use "when the active panel is in an Archived file (ZIP panel) or FTP connection".
But my case of calling the "right editor" didn't fit that description. It was just an active panel of TC with the easily available files on the disk. So this helper shouldn't even have been used, according to the description on the github site. But was this particular error that still occurred?

Also, I would appreciate it if all questions/suggestions were answered sequentially. Even if it's some kind of stupidity - it's better to see this fact in the answer from you than to think that my suggestion/questions were simply missed, because... therefore....
In particular, there are two of my posts above the replied.
#146217 personal license
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Re: F4MiniMenu (AHK): F4Menu w. Drag&Drop, filelist, cmdline (XYPlorer, Everything, Explorer, Double Commander)

Post by *hi5 »

F4TCIE is only used for:
* if F4MiniMenu isn't running at all and you press F4 it will of course also use F4TCIE as it is setup IN total commander as editor to use, it will then try to read the settings (xml or ini) to try and find the preferred editor in the settings
* shift-F4: create new file -> after the file has been created it will try to open the file in the editor it tries to find in the settings (xml or ini)
* try to edit a file with f4 when you try to edit a file from in an archive (zip for example) or FTP panel

F4TCIE uses first come, first serve, if none can be found, it will try to open the associated program defined by Windows, and as a last resort simply open notepad.
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

F4TCIE is only used for:
All of the options mentioned didn't work in my case. That is, the error, the screenshot of which I showed - clearly got out along some other way of executing the AHK code. Since I did not try to work with the file in the archive, or on the FTP panel, I did not press shift+f4, and the main program F4MiniMenu was launched BEFORE pressing F4 on a regular txt file.
#146217 personal license
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

If F4MiniMenu is running with F4 as the main hotkey to simply edit files, it should work, unless TC is running as Administrator and F4MiniMenu isn't, then it will use F4TCIE (obviously) - it should still work as it would then simply try to find the editor from the settings (provided it has the correct name for ini or xml depending on the preference).

F4TCIE can only be started with shift+f4 OR F4 by Total Commander if F4MiniMenu is not "running" (F4 is used by total commander as you know).
If you use another shortcut in F4MiniMenu e.g. anything but F4 to edit files, it will of course use F4TCIE as F4 is the built-in default shortcut of Total Commander.

If you don't need to edit files in archives or FTP panels or open preferred editors after shift-F4 just remove F4TCIE from TC as editor and you won't have any problems/errors - either nothing will happen or open another program you've setup. You can set your preferred editor for such cases or keep notepad

As you have so many problems other people have not reported in the past 10 years I suspect there is something special with the way you've setup your computer and/or run programs and would therefore suggest you try another program that better suits your needs as it is pretty clear F4MiniMenu/F4TCIE aren't working as intended on your computer - which is not something I can solve I'm afraid.

I wrote it for myself and share it in the case other finds it useful, if they do that's great, if not, try something else to see if that does serve your needs.
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

F4MiniMenu v1.1 @ https://github.com/hi5/F4MiniMenu and compiled https://github.com/hi5/F4MiniMenu/releases/tag/v1.1
  • Fix: TRY to catch all empty hotkeys to avoid errors at startup
  • Change: Double click on an "editor" in Configure Editors listview now opens modify window
  • Change: Settings - replace Radio controls for Esc/Win with DropDownLists (not thoroughly tested)
  • Fix: WinMin/Hide/Maximize and Sleep function should work better (or again)
  • Fix: additional check to prevent Modify Gui throwing "The same variable cannot be used for more than one control" error; modify window now always on top of editors window (); sysmenu removed
  • New: TRY, catch -> revert to standard editor if defined editor can not be found, show notification using OSDTIP_Pop() for both F4MiniMenu and F4TCIE
  • New: support %windir%, %A_ScriptDir% and other path variables (see list "Path variables" in readme.md) https://github.com/hi5/F4MiniMenu/issues/25
  • New: Filtered foreground Menu - setting to launch program directly if only one program is found https://github.com/hi5/F4MiniMenu/issues/26
  • New: Global setting MaxWinWaitSec to prevent stalling F4MM
  • Fix: INI when reading a global setting as "Error" set as empty (lib\iob.ahk)
st

Post by *st »

F4MiniMenu v1.1 + Double Commander 1.0.11 + Windows 10
If config is set to F4MiniMenu-64.exe, F4 invokes an empty Notepad;
If config is set to F4TCIE-64.exe, F4 invokes Notepad with current file.
No popups for config. Did I miss anything please?
snippet of generated config,

Code: Select all

<MatchList>
	<Invalid_Name id="settings" ahk="True">
		<BackgroundHotkey>F4</BackgroundHotkey>
		<ForegroundHotkey>Esc & F4</ForegroundHotkey>
		<FilteredHotkey></FilteredHotkey>
		<FilteredMenuAutoEdit>1</FilteredMenuAutoEdit>
		<TCPath>D:\doublecmd\doublecmd.exe</TCPath>
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

@st

You don't setup F4MiniMenu-64.exe as "editor" in the configuration.

F4MiniMenu is a program that runs on its own and sit in the tray menu waiting for Total Commander (and others if you've set it up) windows to be Active and defined hotkeys to be pressed to take action.

So, in your case remove any "editor" settings in Double Commander. Start F4MiniMenu-64.exe, in the tray menu click on the F4MM icon, settings, and press ctrl-shift-c in the Double Commander control (at the bottom, Other programs group). Click OK.

Now the F4 and Esc+F4 hotkeys should work in Double Commander. It might be easiest to setup your first (few) editors via the Tray menu (right click, configure editors) - or you can use Esc+F4 and a popup menu with options (incl. an option "Add new editor") should appear.

Now you can work with F4MM in Total Commander and Double Commander. Note that not all functions may work correctly with Double Commander.

You may not need F4TCIE-64.exe at all, but you could try use it and define it as editor in Double Commander, I haven't actually tested it with files in archive and FTP so no guarantees - details here https://github.com/hi5/F4MiniMenu#helper-script-f4tcieahk
But you need to define the editors using F4MiniMenu-64.exe first, if there are no editors, F4TCIE-64.exe won't be able to find them and you can't use F4TCIE-64.exe to set them up. (Although in theory you could manually create an ini file but that would be tedious)

Hope this helps.
st

Post by *st »

great work, @hi5
comvox

Post by *comvox »

@hi5 F4MiniMenu is a great program, and it shows attention both to usability and attractive design. Thank you for it!
One issue -- the current F4MiniMenu-master.zip from Github seems to have accidentally left out a file from the lib directory, namely OSDTIP.ahk, and the line "#include %A_ScriptDir%\lib\OSDTIP.ahk" from F4MiniMenu.ahk. On my setup, the program wouldn't run until I fixed that, but once fixed, the program ran well and I am impressed by it.
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

:oops: @comvox thanks for the bug report, just added it to the GH repo.

There will be some (bug)fixes as the last update I made introduced some errors :cry:
KozakMak

Post by *KozakMak »

omg, this thing looks so complicated
i understand nothing from readme
what should i put in Editor= to show menu ?
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

KozakMak wrote: 2023-10-18, 07:47 UTCwhat should i put in Editor= to show menu ?
Nothing actually, just start the program (either AutoHotkey script or the compiled version (F4MiniMenu-64.exe or F4MiniMenu-32.exe) - then you can access the "configure editors" via the tray menu or by pressing Esc + F4 so it shows the foreground menu https://github.com/hi5/F4MiniMenu#screenshots -- see a few posts above as well viewtopic.php?p=437522#p437522

You can (but don't have too) use F4TCIE (script or exe) as "Editor=" in the Total Commander settings so it uses the same editors for files in archives and FTP.
KozakMak

Post by *KozakMak »

hi5 wrote: 2023-10-20, 17:14 UTC You can (but don't have too) use F4TCIE (script or exe) as "Editor=" in the Total Commander settings so it uses the same editors for files in archives and FTP.
---------------------------
F4TCIE-64i.exe
Error: Failed attempt to launch program or document:
Action: <D:\Downloads\F4MiniMenu-Compiled\notepad.exe>
Params: <D:\Downloads\F4MiniMenu-Compiled\license.txt>

Specifically: Не удается найти указанный файл.

Line#
---> 083: Run,GetPath(matchlist[1].exe) A_Space file

The current thread will exit.
ОК
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2KozakMak
show the screen of Customized Editors dialog.
#146217 personal license
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

KozakMak wrote: 2023-10-30, 13:32 UTCError: Failed attempt to launch program or document
I made some changes in v1.1 which lead to such errors, this will be fixed in the next version.

Try to change notepad to your preferred editor and it should work. If you do want to use notepad, change the path.

In v1.1 it is not possible to use programs that rely on the path environment such as notepad, write, wordpad, or command line tools which are often rely on a path environment to work - you will have to use relative or absolute paths. To solve the problem for the time being so you can test it, edit the notepad entry and instead of notepad.exe enter the full path:

c:\windows\notepad.exe

In the next update you can simply use notepad.exe again

Edit: I see that you are using F4TCIE-64, just to repeat you only need to set it up if you want to edit files in archives (zip files); and not for regular files in normal panels - https://github.com/hi5/F4MiniMenu#helper-script-f4tcieahk