Newbie: Moving files

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gurba

Newbie: Moving files

Post by *gurba »

Is there a way I can get the move command (F6) to create the specified path?
Say I want to move a set to a file to "c:\my music\Artist - Album"
I mark the files and type in the wanted path where the "Artist - Album" part does not exist. Can TC ask me if I want to create the path instead of "The given target path "...." is invalid"?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Currently this isn't possible because it's not always clear what is meant. Example: You copy a single file called 'test' to c:\somedir. TC will show the following name:
c:\somedir\test2

Now, is test2 the name of a directory or of a file? Both is possible. By never creating dirs when copying, the case is clear - the file will be copied to c:\somedir and renamed to 'test2'.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

2christian

i was curious to ask for this feature myself, but did'nt want to
bother you with "yet another" wish from us greedy users :)

since gurba could'nt hold his breath, let me add the following...

in the dos based filemanager dosnavigator II you can find this option already.
the solution of its developers was, that if the destinationname ends with a backslash,
you definitely mean directory and it will be created, if targetdir does'nt exist.

if backslash is omitted, you mean filename and the file will be copied to given target
with targetname. if more than one file is to be copied, you will be asked to append
all files to the targetfile (which is always a selectable option in the copydialog btw.)

now, how about that... ;)

p.s.: anyone curious, take a look at dosnavigator II open source , which is freeware!