Samsung Note 8, TC, and QwikPic

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Samsung Note 8, TC, and QwikPic

Post by *JohnFredC »

After futzing around for a couple of years with an in-expensive Android tablet I splurged recently and bought a Samsung Note 8.

Samsung modifies Android to offer a bi-windowed environment. For supported apps, the user can tile two separate apps on the display, with a moveable splitter between them. TC for Android is supported. A graphics viewer I prefer called QwikPic is also supported.

When QwikPic is set to be the default viewer for image files AND TC is tiled with QwikPic, then selecting an image file in TC will automatically open it in the other (QwikPic) panel. This behavior is very similar to the behavior of the embedded viewer panel in desktop TC and is far and away the best approach to viewing images I have discovered for Android.

Here is a screenshot.

The screenshot shows TC tiled at the bottom and QwikPic tiled at the top, displaying an image present in the TC panel (not highlighted, unfortunately).

Very fast, too.

Other supported apps include video and music players. This method also works with Polaris Office for documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.

Unfortunately Adobe Reader doesn't appear to be supported in tiled mode.

There seems to me to be an opportunity for an "universal lister" app (compliant with the Samsung tiling function) to make a splash in the MarketPlace.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Nice, thanks for the screenshot! Yes I was asked by a Samsung tablet user to support this windowed mode. This is something that has to be done in the app, and the following line has to be added to the manifest file (to the activity):
<category android:name="android.intent.category.MULTIWINDOW_LAUNCHER" />
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
mdalacu

Post by *mdalacu »