any way to display comments at passive pane (QuickVie mode?)

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

1) with Lister native capability (to get this we need to argue Christian to add the proper native view mode);
2) with a WLX-plugin, created by some volunteer.
Second one may be realised w/o problems so there is no need in first one.
Sorry, I don't understand, what do you mean... What files and why automatically?
E.g. when you have Imagine, it opens all images by default. Same thing may happen with comments plugin if it will tell that it supports all file types (because any file may have a comment).
oshizelly

Post by *oshizelly »

2MVV
Second one may be realised w/o problems so there is no need in first one.
I'm not sure, that WLX-plugin would make the corresponding TC native functionality totally obsolete.
However I agree, that it would partly solve the problem, at leasr for me.

Do you mean, that you are kindly ready to code the proper WLX-plugin for viewing file comments in the passive pane in QuickView mode?
E.g. when you have Imagine, it opens all images by default. Same thing may happen with comments plugin if it will support all file types
Yes, I see now, what you mean. But it seems, that you can easily bypass this problem, if you:
A) whether assign for a user-command and/or a custom hotkey other than default global F3;
B) or vice versa assign a user-command and/or a custom hotkey in order to open the selected files on your applications(-s) other than Imagine.

I think, that the same approach can be used for the WLX-plugin "Show comments in QuickView pane", which should utilize its own hotkey. Say, in order to see the file's comment in QuicView pane, a user needs to press the default Alt+Ctrl+Q, however the default Ctrl+Q would still show file's content via Lister.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Do you mean, that you are kindly ready to code the proper WLX-plugin for viewing file comments in the passive pane in QuickView mode?
I mean (just like Hacker wrote) that WLX plugins fully support such functionality. But I don't mean that I will write such plugin.
A) whether assign for a user-command and/or a custom hotkey other than default global F3;
B) or vice versa assign a user-command and/or a custom hotkey in order to open the selected files on your applications(-s) other than Imagine.
You can't start internal lister (which quick view uses) with specified plugin. When you start Lister, it opens file in text mode or using some plugin, you can change plugin priority but you can't tell to lister which plugin it should use this time.
oshizelly

Post by *oshizelly »

2MVV
I mean (just like Hacker wrote) that WLX plugins fully support such functionality. But I don't mean that I will write such plugin.
:(
Are there any volunteers, halloo!
you can't tell to lister which plugin it should use this time.
Hm-m... I don't quite sure. Have you reviewed this subject since TC version 7.50? Please look Help file (F1) - the section "Command line parameters", the key
/S=L:Pmy_plugin_title
for a specific plugin. Say, this command will open the selected file in the Lisdoc plugin:
cmd=%COMMANDER_EXE% /S=L:Plistdoc
param=%Z%P%N
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You're talking about lister in separate process (it is more an external viewer than internal). Quick view is only able to work with internal lister in same process, so there are no place where to put /S parameter.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

A nice solution (not only for comments) would be a quick view panel with a vertical splitter:
- The upper pane of the quick view panel would shows the lister-plugins content.
- The lower pane shows the content configured for tool tips using a simple text box.

Benefits:
You can see both at once (e.g. an image and its exif information).
You may copy the text from the lower pane into clipboard.
Configuration tool for the textual info exists already and could be called directly via context menu of the lower pane.

Regards
Holger
Vochomurka
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vochomurka »

I have proposed some other way to handle the directory description.
Single user license #329241
PowerPro scripts for Total Commander
oshizelly

Post by *oshizelly »

2HolgerK
A nice solution (not only for comments) would be a quick view panel with a vertical splitter:
IMHO this is a nice idea.Have any specific design concept, how it should be implemented?

2Vochomurka
I have proposed some other way to handle the directory description.
Thanks for your hint. However it is applicable to directories only, but file comments are more important.
Vochomurka
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vochomurka »

it is applicable to directories only, but file comments are more important
Not at all. I've proposed to start the directory description with two dots because it is a forbidden character for file/directory name and thus this description can't be confused with a file/directory description. Two dots mean "directory level up" from the DOS era (see the "cd .." command). Therefore it is a mnemonically perceived and expected sign
Single user license #329241
PowerPro scripts for Total Commander
slavne

Post by *slavne »

I should join to oshizelly to his wish this plugin be implemented. The file commenting system would be much more complete if some sort of QuicView LongComments feature is implemented.
Still in 2017 this is very appealing!
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Re: any way to display comments at passive pane (QuickVie mode?)

Post by *hi5 »

I was looking for a "quick view" comments method - I would find it really useful.
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Re: any way to display comments at passive pane (QuickVie mode?)

Post by *hi5 »

Proof of concept in AutoHotkey (not really a plugin of course) QuickView descript.ion viewer
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)