New beta plugin: WebDAV (WebFolders)

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Hurdet
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Hurdet »

You can not do this with standard gpg and public and private keys?
Andrey67

Post by *Andrey67 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I have thought about this myself, but unfortunately there is no standard format - the files would only be readable by Total Commander.
Of course! But this is not a problem. There are many different encryption software. And encrypted files can only be opened the same program. And all is well. They are widely used.
Moreover, the encryption function I suggest to make it optional. I.e. if you have encryption - you have selected the check-box in the settings of the connection. And uses encryption. If encryption is not necessary - check-box is not selected. And the plug-in WebDav is used as usual. Encryption is the only option in its settings.
As well as: 1) With this option, the user can select which accounts will be to use encryption, and which will not. 2) Even using a single account (turning on and turning off encryption) - you can have access to different files. Encrypted and unencrypted files do not interfere with each other.
And finally: this functionality does not exist. Yet. There are programs which encrypts file names and their contents (clouds), but with a bad interface (as CarotDAV). And there are programs that encrypt and mount a virtual disk in the system, but are not synchronized with cloud storage. The plug-in WebDAV might be the first program of this kind, all-in-one. Simple and convenient. It seems to me, to add such functionality in the plugin WebDAV is not very difficult.
If you are worried about the non-standard format, here is a good output. The user can tell the password of the second user. The second user to enter this password to configure your TotalCommander in the plug-in WebDAV and will be able to access the files.
The main advantage WebDAV with encryption: encryption and easy access to the files. And no third party will be able to access them. Even by a court decision. Our files are really ours, and only ours in this case.
We hope for Your understanding!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have thought about using zip - one zip file per file, named filename.ext.zip. The downside is that the file names are not encrypted. On the other hand, when the file names are encrypted too, how should I show the original names to the user without actually downloading each file?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Andrey67

Post by *Andrey67 »

Hurdet wrote:You can not do this with standard gpg and public and private keys?
I think this is a bad idea. Or, at least, that this type of encryption was a separate option. To use the password - just for all. Use of pgp-key - difficult and uncomfortable. That is why the password is widespread in any applications. And pgp keys - no. There are many cases, reliable and convenient encryption truecrypt, CarotDAV. And there is only required knowledge of the password. Without any pgp keys that need to be stored somewhere separately.
Andrey67

Post by *Andrey67 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I have thought about using zip - one zip file per file, named filename.ext.zip. The downside is that the file names are not encrypted. On the other hand, when the file names are encrypted too, how should I show the original names to the user without actually downloading each file?
Very Dear author! I cited the example program CarotDAV. There is made simple and genius: a file name prefix, such as "^_". In this case, if the program sees that the file name starts with "^_", such as "^_gfFggfF56fF" - this means that the name of the file is encrypted and must be decrypted. Brilliant and easy ! I beg You to look at the description of this program on the website of the author. There are all described. Everything has been designed. You only get this functionality and integrate the plug-in WebDAV. Profit!
P.S. No zip! AES is great, as in CarotDAV.
Last edited by Andrey67 on 2014-06-30, 12:12 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Andrey67

Post by *Andrey67 »

Please try the program CarotDAV and You will understand how it works. You will only need to implement a similar feature in WebDAV.

I used the program CarotDAV. Its functionality is good. Encrypted files do not prevent unencrypted. Encrypted files are regular files from the point of view of the cloud. And only the encryption software can convert to normal files. You only need to enter the password.

And the most important thing in this approach: that would not claimed the owners of the clouds, You only have real access to the contents of Your files. And it is wonderful!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, the idea was to have something which could be decrypted also by other programs, not something proprietary. Otherwise people on iOS, Windows Phone etc will complain that they cannot access their files...
Andrey67

Post by *Andrey67 »

Well. In this case, if these people can't install Total Commander with the plugin WebDAV them, you can transfer the files in an encrypted archive. The password pass separately. Let them use uncomfortable way. It as an option. Or write a simple cross-platform application, like CarotDAV, with the standard interface. But as the same task encryption is solved programs: ZIP, RAR, truecrypt ? Similarly, in the case of the truecrypt container to gain access to your data, you need to install truecrypt. And this is normal.
And most people will be happy to use (as always) Total Commander.
In any case - you need proprietary software. Otherwise it will not be reliable encryption, because to trust the cloud is impossible. To encrypt names are also necessary.
Adding encryption function does not limit WebDAV, and Vice versa - is expanding. If people can't use WebDAV, may use other methods.
Last edited by Andrey67 on 2014-06-30, 10:24 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Andrey67

Post by *Andrey67 »

The difficulty is that this cloud. It is specifically works with files. You can not use an encrypted container is as it should be downloaded and upload a whole. You want to save the file structure of directories, but the contents of the files and the names of the files and directories must be encrypted. This unusual task, so hard to do so in order to decrypt the files could other software. I don't know this software, except CarotDAV, encfs4win, BoxCryptor ... It's a unique program. They are also not common for iOS, WinPhone and other.
We need to develop something of their own. For example plugin for TotalCommander and simple tool for those who do not have Total Commander, as CarotDAV.
If there is a task to have access to their files. To do this, WebDAV with encryption is ideal. This is necessary for a large part of the people. Another part of the need to give access to their data to other people. This is another area. You at least to solve the first part.

And most importantly: the encryption algorithm can be open (this is useful so that people had confidence in the algorithm). In this case, other authors will be able to write simple applications or integrate support this encryption without using Total Commander. So it will be solved support iOS, WinPhone etc.
Andrey67

Post by *Andrey67 »

Dear author! Please inform us about Your decision by adding encryption to the plug-in webdav. We can do something to hope in the near future ? Or You are not going to do it ?
Just need to use the clouds, but no encryption to do it unsafe. If You don't give us joy by making the encryption, we need to look to other (inconvenient) ways, unfortunately. But we are so used to Total Commander ...
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

are you realy talking about security and then about putting the files Into a cloud? ^^

why not just decrypt the files with winrar?
Hoecker sie sind raus!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2Sir_SiLvA
The idea was just to encrypt the file within the plugin (or Total Commander) before the upload, and decrypt them again after the download. This way the cloud would always see only the encrypted data.
Andrey67

Post by *Andrey67 »

2ghisler(Author), That will tell us the author ?
How about encryption plugin WebDAV?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm considering a different approach: Encrypt the data BEFORE it goes to the plugin, and decrypt it after downloading. This way it wouldn't be limited to WebDav, but would work also with other plugins like SFTP.
Andrey67

Post by *Andrey67 »

This is a good approach. But I did not understand the details. Who will encrypt and decrypt the data that goes to the plugin WebDAV ?
I understood You so: in the left pane, Total Commander displays the contents of the cloud (via plug-in WebDAV), or the contents of the remote ftp server (via plug-in SFTP) or other content through another plugin. The right pane displays the contents of my hard drive (e.g. C:\). I copy the files from the right pane, to the left. I.e. I copy your unencrypted files to the cloud (or ftp and the like). As they will be encrypted on-the-fly before they come to the cloud (ftp, and so on) ? If the module encryption and decryption is not built into the plugin ?