My Data Sources

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Duskycub

My Data Sources

Post by *Duskycub »

I have found a problem with a folder in my documents called my data sources i have the newest version of TC and it doesn't see the folder but the OS does if i delete it and recreate it it shows it. Now the other PC i have has the older 8.01 TC and it shows fine. both on windows 10 wondering if its a bug in code since its working on older version. I copied the files from 8.01 over the new version and same thing. wondering if its the upgrade vs the new install newest version is a install of windows 10 from scratch not an upgrade.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Open folder properties in Explorer and see its physical path. It seems that it is physically located in some other place. Maybe your Documents folder is a library folder and Explorer shows contents of multiple folders merged.
Duskycub

Post by *Duskycub »

Its not that i would post a link for a screen shot but im still not allowed yet will when i can.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I do not have this folder in Explorer on Windows 10. To see where it is located, please go inside the folder in Explorer, then click behind the path name in the address bar.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Duskycub

Post by *Duskycub »

I found that its a folder installed from MS Office on a disk which makes me wonder if its a win 10 thing with office but it works just fine on one of my upgraded versions of win 10. i thought it was permissions but i looked and nothing changed even after taking command of the folder. The only thing that worked was deleting it and recreating it. i have a backup of it i have a link to my side by side on the backup of the folder http://i.imgur.com/NedLWGH.png?1 but the only problem i see is with TC it will not read the old file strange
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2Duskycub
There may be even more files/directories missing. If you look closely, you can see that TC lists 49 items in total while Explorer lists 53 items. Showing hidden and/or system files in TC may help to see the missing directory/items since this directory might have some different attributes.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Duskycub,
I repeat that you should open My Data Sources folder properties in order to get its real location. Your Documents folder looks really like a virtual library folder (libraries in Windows 7 are located in separate group called Libraries but they could move them out there in Windows 10). Also you can open Documents properties in order to check which folders it combines if it is a library.
Last edited by MVV on 2015-08-16, 14:21 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Duskycub

Post by *Duskycub »

MVV wrote:Duskycub,
I repeat that you should open My Data Sources folder properties in order to get its real location. Your Documents folder looks really like a virtual library folder. Also you can open Documents properties in order to check which folders it combines if it is a library.
i repeat its in the right location it shows in explorer not in TC this is the link in properties D:\Users\Jondalar\Documents
Last edited by Duskycub on 2015-08-16, 14:23 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Is it so hard for you to do little thing that I ask for?
If you see that folder in Explorer it doesn't mean that it is really located in its parent folder like Explorer shows. Only folder properties show real physical location of items in Explorer.
Last edited by MVV on 2015-08-16, 14:24 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Duskycub

Post by *Duskycub »

MVV wrote:Is it so hard for you to do little thing that I ask?
If you see that folder in Explorer it doesn't mean that it is really located in its parent folder like Explorer shows. Only folder properties show real physical location.
D:\Users\Jondalar\Documents
thats the link and i moved it in the folder does not matter what drive or link its in its still only shows like the picture i linked to and the directories say this
http://i.imgur.com/GVmtdCI.png The biggest thing that boggles my mind is it works just fine on one of my 3 PCs
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

That's what I meant, you have a library that merges multiple locations in a single virtual place so you can see folders from different places in it.

This is a library in Windows 7, the same thing but in a separate group (folder location is different):
Image: http://imagehost.spark-media.ru/i4/0719092B-3D72-542A-69B0-712D28FBEB3F.png

And if I open Documents folder properties, I can see all locations that it combines, and I can add/remove items.
Last edited by MVV on 2015-08-16, 14:47 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Duskycub

Post by *Duskycub »

MVV wrote:That's what I meant, you have a library that merges multiple locations in a single virtual place so you can see folders from different places in it.

This is a library in Windows 7, the same thing but in a separate group (folder location is different):
Image: http://imagehost.spark-media.ru/i4/D9170406-A23C-AD17-5186-507E07348F1E.png

And if I open Documents folder properties, I can see all locations that it combines, and I can add/remove items.
Thats what i been posting http://i.imgur.com/knDqK31.png
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

It seems to be a properties dialog of standard Documents folder located in your user's profile (it has Location tab allowing to move entire folder to another place).
But what if you open properties of Documents folder that is on your Desktop? I believe it is not the same folder.
Duskycub

Post by *Duskycub »

MVV wrote:It seems to be a properties dialog of standard Documents folder located in your user's profile (it has Location tab allowing to move entire folder to another place).
But what if you open properties of Documents folder that is on your Desktop? I believe it is not the same folder.
I dont have a documents folder on the desktop and windows 10 may hide it. I also copied it to a new drive and it still missing as before, but I transfered folder to TC on Android and it worked on my phone just fine hmmm
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You're right, it is not in the Desktop, it is in This PC, I incorrectly understood it from screenshot.

So, I think that This PC\Documents is a library and it shows contents of D:\Users\Jondalar\Documents and some other folders. I don't know what happens if you copy entire Documents library to another location.