Windows 10: Photos app can't browse previous / next photos!

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ace960

Post by *ace960 »

I just lost my whole reply because it contained URL. So I'll make it short this time. Then I almost lost it second time because it was too soon to post it after the first one which was rejected. Going back in browser is not good idea. I used to copy the message to clipboard before posting. I obviously did not do that for the first attempt with the URL.

Execute the following two parts from powershell (as administrator) to help yourselves:

# Set Photo Viewer as default for bmp, gif, jpg, png and tif
If (!(Test­Path "HKCR:")) {
New­PSDrive ­Name HKCR ­PSProvider Registry ­Root HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT | Out­Null
}
ForEach ($type in @("Paint.Picture", "giffile", "jpegfile", "pngfile", "TIFImage.Document")) {
New­Item ­Path $("HKCR:\$type\shell\open") ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path $("HKCR:\$type\shell\open\command") | Out­Null
Set­ItemProperty ­Path $("HKCR:\$type\shell\open") ­Name "MuiVerb" ­Type ExpandString ­Value
"@%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\photoviewer.dll,­3043"
Set­ItemProperty ­Path $("HKCR:\$type\shell\open\command") ­Name "(Default)" ­Type ExpandString ­
Value "%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe `"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo
Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll`", ImageView_Fullscreen %1"
}

# Show Photo Viewer in "Open with..."
}
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\command" ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\DropTarget" ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\command" ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\DropTarget" ­Force | Out­Null
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open" ­Name "MuiVerb" ­Type String
­Value "@photoviewer.dll,­3043"
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\command" ­Name "(Default)" ­
Type ExpandString ­Value "%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe `"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\DropTarget" ­Name "Clsid" ­
Type String ­Value "{FFE2A43C­56B9­4bf5­9A79­CC6D4285608A}"
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\command" ­Name "(Default)" ­
Type ExpandString ­Value "%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe `"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\DropTarget" ­Name "Clsid" ­
Type String ­Value "{60fd46de­f830­4894­a628­6fa81bc0190d}"

dalvder

Post by *dalvder »

[/quote]
You can make an TC internal assocation which is show on context menu.[/quote]

If you would care to go into a bit more detail/depth about what you suggest I should do there, I would appreciate that very much!

I think this is probably a good time to say that I'm no advanced user when it comes to writing lines of code or whatever. I am however able to comprehend how things work, having quite a good grasp on computers. So all I ask for is a little bit more context or a kind of a more detailed walk-through of what you've suggested I do earlier on.

P.S.
Hope you won't think I'm too much work, I'd really love to make this picture-viewing issue go away!
dalvder

not working

Post by *dalvder »

Thank you very much for you suggestion! Initially it did not work because I was running an older version of TC (6.02). After a bit of brainstorming I figured I might want to try a newer version (8.52a) on which your quick fix worked great! Thank you ever so much for that!

Execute the following two parts from powershell (as administrator) to help yourselves:

# Set Photo Viewer as default for bmp, gif, jpg, png and tif
}
ForEach ($type in @("Paint.Picture", "giffile", "jpegfile", "pngfile", "TIFImage.Document")) {
New­Item ­Path $("HKCR:\$type\shell\open") ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path $("HKCR:\$type\shell\open\command") | Out­Null
Set­ItemProperty ­Path $("HKCR:\$type\shell\open") ­Name "MuiVerb" ­Type ExpandString ­Value
"@%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\photoviewer.dll,­3043"
Set­ItemProperty ­Path $("HKCR:\$type\shell\open\command") ­Name "(Default)" ­Type ExpandString ­
Value "%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe `"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo
}

# Show Photo Viewer in "Open with..."
}
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\command" ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\DropTarget" ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\command" ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\DropTarget" ­Force | Out­Null
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open" ­Name "MuiVerb" ­Type String
­Value "@photoviewer.dll,­3043"
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\command" ­Name "(Default)" ­
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\DropTarget" ­Name "Clsid" ­
Type String ­Value "{FFE2A43C­56B9­4bf5­9A79­CC6D4285608A}"
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\command" ­Name "(Default)" ­
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\DropTarget" ­Name "Clsid" ­
Type String ­Value "{60fd46de­f830­4894­a628­6fa81bc0190d}"

[/quote]
tosbsas

Post by *tosbsas »

do I have to do this only once?
A New Generation transformed by the Power of God
gewone

Post by *gewone »

Hi guys!

I bump this old thread with my experience. I just installed Windows 10 for the very first time in my life. Having built up some expectations, I was sad when I ran into the image viewer bug mentioned in this thread. To be honest, I just missed the good old "Windows Photo Viewer" that has been with Windows all the way from the XP era. This app-based "Photo" thing introduced with Windows 10 just seemed messy, not the least because of this issue with left/right arrow key not functioning when opening a photo from inside another software, e.g. Total Commander.

Now, instead of trying to fix the issue, I started doing research to find a way to get the good old "Windows stock" photo viewer available in Windows 10. I know for a fact that it's DLL- rather than EXE-based stuff, but it should still be doable, I thought. After quick research I found that this little .REG entry solves everything:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Y9NvUQRfxcOVNFY05CSzJJUU0/view?usp=sharing

For those curious on what's in it, hereunder I post the actual code from inside the file.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Change Extension's File Type
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpg]
@="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpeg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.gif]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.png]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.bmp]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.tiff]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.ico]

After applying this patch, all of a sudden Windows Photo Viewer is available to choose from in the list of apps under Windows Settings / System / Default Apps, and after you've chosen it, all sorts of image files will from here on be treated as in the good old days, and voila, the problem has vanished.

Cheers!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

You can make a button to launch the Photo Viewer like this:

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
%P%N
%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll
Windows Fotofremviser

Once you have used that, it will be on the list of programs under the context menu's "Open with..." where you can set it as default for the current filetype.

The button works for Windows XP, 7, 8.x and 10.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
aleontiev

Post by *aleontiev »

I found a little trick how to make arrows active: just open a folder with images in the Quick View Panel (CTRL + Q) and then open images from there. Of course, this solution isn’t ideal and it’s a bit annoying, but it works.
mmakz

Win 10 Photo viewer Total Com

Post by *mmakz »

I was looking for the way to open/scroll multiple image/video files thru Win 10 Photo viewer using Total Com - and got here. Since I've got my trick after reading the topic, felt obliged to post the trick here.

In the folder with the images I'm hitting Ctrl+A and this selects everything (if there are another folders - yes, have to deselect them...), then simple right-click and select OPEN - now in Photo viewer one is able to scroll thru all the contents of particular folder!

My idea might not be new, but thanks for giving me a clue!
ashzdw

Re: Windows 10: Photos app can't browse previous / next photos!

Post by *ashzdw »

Now it's 2020-4-12.
I have installed the latest win10 home edition, and total commander 9.51.
This issue is still there. I guess that's because Photos app knows the directory when open it from Explorer, so it can browse previous/next photo.
But it doesn't know the directory when open it from Total commander. Maybe missing some parameters when call it? I did research that in File->Associate With in Total commander, but I don't know what parameter Photos app has. :(
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Why wouldn't it know the directory? TC sets the current directory when opening a file to the directory of the file.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-04-14, 09:48 UTC Why wouldn't it know the directory? TC sets the current directory when opening a file to the directory of the file.
And what about files opened from Windows Library (virtual folder)? What directory is set in this case - virtual or real?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No directory is set because there isn't one in a virtual folder.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

So in this case all filenames should be passed with full paths, otherwise some programs won't properly navigate. Am I right?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
deckard

Post by *deckard »

I also wish this was fixable. :(

Also at first, I couldn't find a way to start the legacy Windows Photo Viewer on my Windows 10 (1909). But weirdly enough, when I in TC associated the Photos app (right clicked on a photo, selected "Open with" and selected "Always use this app" for Photos) it started opening in Windows Photo Viewer instead!
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

cyberzip wrote: 2020-05-04, 09:11 UTC I also wish this was fixable. :(

Also at first, I couldn't find a way to start the legacy Windows Photo Viewer on my Windows 10 (1909). But weirdly enough, when I in TC associated the Photos app (right clicked on a photo, selected "Open with" and selected "Always use this app" for Photos) it started opening in Windows Photo Viewer instead!
The button petermad posted above starts Windows Photo Viewer on Windows 10 version 1909 without any problems.
Please read and try first before you complain.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64