Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SailorMax

Open Network folder freeze Total Commander

Post by *SailorMax »

Steps:
1. enter "\\", press Enter
2. enter in "Network" folder
3. enter in "Network (DOMAIN_NAME)" folder

Exp.: reading of "folder" content in separate thread with possibility to stop this process

Act.: Total Commander "Not Responding" while process will not finish. Some times it can take long time... Plus if leave this process in background and switch back to Total Commander after time, it try refresh directory => "Not Responding" again :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is not a bug, it's a limitation of the current TC design: Currently all virtual folders except for the "Network Neighborhood" are read in the foreground. In TC9, they will be read in a background thread too. This has already been implemented.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
mbluett

TC 8.52 and Network Slowness

Post by *mbluett »

I don't know whether this will help or not but I installed an app called Double Commander 0.6.6 beta and it functions as expected; whereas, TC 5.52 does not. It may help putting the thread in the background, but it looks to me there is some other problem afoot.

Using DC, there is a delay when clicking on WORKGROUP (which is to be expected). But once it lists the servers (within about 10 secs) it happily opens the filesystem without delay.

Using TC 8.52 and clicking on "Network Neighborhood", it presents a network snapshot almost immediately. The snapshot contains a list of media servers (which obviously cannot be opened). So, you have to click on "Network (WORKGROUP)". When you do this TC, in roughly 10 to 15 secs you see the server list but TC continues to bounce back and forth between Not Responding and responding with the busy icon going round and round. It continues like that for a long time, sometimes never ending (until I kill TC). This occurs whether I am connected wirelessly or directly connected to my router via a Gig interface. Also TC will flash (like it is refreshing it's screen) during this cycling.

For example, I started TC checking the WORKGROUP when I started writing this and it is still in the checking cycle even now. That is some 10 minutes now. I go back to check if it has completed periodically while I am writing this and the little wheel is still going round and round. This is one of those times that I am going to have to kill TC to get it to stop.

When I restart TC fairly soon it presents the WORKGROUP servers and then I can click on the server and immediately the filesystem displays.

As I said before DC does not have any problems (out of the normal). So that tells me there is something wrong with the way TC is written. Since the code for DC is open source perhaps you could look to see what function they are using and perhaps change TC so that it uses the same function.

Just a consideration.
Zygus

Post by *Zygus »

I can confirm that opening Network Neighbourhood will make TC 8.51A to be put into infinity loop. TC is refreshing list of hosts and when finish it starts refreshing again. There is no way to stop this, no way to close tab, or to change tab. It makes program totally unusable, ready only to kill. Workaround is to known full hosts name and do not enter into NN main folder (by cd \\).
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Zygus wrote:I can confirm that opening Network Neighbourhood will make TC 8.51A to be put into infinity loop. TC is refreshing list of hosts and when finish it starts refreshing again. There is no way to stop this, no way to close tab, or to change tab. It makes program totally unusable, ready only to kill. Workaround is to known full hosts name and do not enter into NN main folder (by cd \\).
Did you test it in the actual TC 9.0a
or why do you post in this old thread ?
Error reports to old version make no sense for a Tool like TC
which allows you to upgrade at no cost.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

TC 8.51a is too old for Windows 10. Microsoft made various changes which broke some TC functions. Please update to TC 9.0a.
Zygus

Post by *Zygus »

Horst.Epp wrote:Did you test it in the actual TC 9.0a
or why do you post in this old thread ?
TC9.0a seems to be free from the buggy behaviour of TC8.5x.
And i am not using Win10 but Win7.
ovavounda

Open Network folder freeze Total Commander

Post by *ovavounda »

And another thing.. Everytime I quit the game and try to re open it, It has to update to july 2nd build and takes up to an hour. Why cant I just quit the game and re-open it like normal. Why does it have to update everytime I try to play it? like wtf seriously....
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

ovavounda = is this a troll?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It could be a spam bot. I googled "Everytime I quit the game and try to re open it", and it seems to be a 1:1 copy of the following post:
http://forum.willyousurvive.com/index.php?/topic/11275-you-cant-even-open-the-gi-or-the-store/#entry75364
Zygus

Post by *Zygus »

Rather troll bot. Spam bot would be trying to advertise something, this entry is just out of context.