Feature Request: options when clicking on directory title

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

superboy

Feature Request: options when clicking on directory title

Post by *superboy »

I saw this feature on xplorer2 and thought it would be really useful for TC. What it does is allows you to click on the title showing the directory path (in the case of TC, the path showing under the tab), and depending where you click it would open that directory. For example, if the tab is open to c:\Windows\System32\com I could click the mouse on the word Windows and it would take me directly to c:\windows.

Although this is a minor feature, I thought it came it quite handy. What do you guys think?

I also recently tried Speed Commander, and was going to mention for TC to have more tree features similar to regular Windows Explorer, but I was thinking about it and I don't see how trees are practical in TC.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

You can edit that path (Shift F6 on [..]), thus delete any text in it. Most TC users are keyboard users, so this feature is not often requested.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

SanskritFritz wrote:You can edit that path (Shift F6 on [..]), thus delete any text in it. Most TC users are keyboard users, so this feature is not often requested.
or hit Backspace to move one level up is more easier :lol:
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

ts4242 wrote:
SanskritFritz wrote:You can edit that path (Shift F6 on [..]), thus delete any text in it. Most TC users are keyboard users, so this feature is not often requested.

SanskritFritz is actually talking about: cm_editpath=2912; Edit path field above file list
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

pdavit wrote:
ts4242 wrote:

SanskritFritz is actually talking about: cm_editpath=2912; Edit path field above file list
yes, but superboy asking for an easy way to go one level up, so hitting Backspace is more easier than editing the path field in order to to move one level up :wink:
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ts4242
but superboy asking for an easy way to go one level up
No, not just one level, multiples levels with a single click by clicking on the desired upper directory. The example c:\windows\system32\ to c:\windows is not very well chosen to convince people that it could be a nice feature.
Please consider that you'll need somekind of modifier to distinguish a mouse click into the text field to edit the path and the "change path click".
jb

Re: Feature Request: options when clicking on directory tit

Post by *jb »

superboy wrote:...
For example, if the tab is open to c:\Windows\System32\com I could click the mouse on the word Windows and it would take me directly to c:\windows.
Good idea! It was already suggested by fabiochelly in topic "New function: hyperlinks in panels titles".
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2lefteous
No, not just one level, multiples levels with a single click by clicking on the desired upper directory
for easy multiple levels up creating a start menu entry or button bar with the following commands can help
cd .. for 1 level up
cd ... for 2 level up
cd .... for 3 level up
cd ..... for 4 level up
cd ...... for 5 level up

and so on
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ts4242
for easy multiple levels up creating a start menu entry or button bar with the following commands can help
cd .. for 1 level up
cd ... for 2 level up
cd .... for 3 level up
cd ..... for 4 level up
cd ...... for 5 level up
Thank you for your suggestion, but I don't this can be a good solution. here are some reasons why:
Please keep in mind creating such buttons or using cd ...................................................................................................................................... (68 levels up) directly is not intuitive and there is another disadvantage: I don't see what I'm doing. Clicking on a upper directory name directly is intuitive. Should I count the number of directories I want to change? -> Not really. Should I create one button for each level? I don't think so.

Here is a reason why multiple pressing the well known backspace is not always good solution: In a directory tree where directory change is slow I have to wait after each backspace press.
A direct directory change prevents unwanted entries in the directory history list.
I guess there are many more reasons for such a feature.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2lefteous
I guess there are many more reasons for such a feature.
i'm not against the feature but i'm offering a different ways to superboy to use it until Mr. Ghisler support it. :)
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Servant Salamander supports the requested function. It works absolutely great to skip levels when moving back "up" the folder tree.

http://www.jfcinc.net/Interfaces/sal01.jpg (16k)

Notice in the screen snap that a portion of the path being pointed to is dimmed. This indicates the navigation destination when one clicks the mouse. In this example, clicking the mouse would navigate directly to U:\Images.

It works so insanely well that I don't understand why such behavior isn't implemented in other file managers (including TC).

For mousers only though... TC already supports the keyboard crowd.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

JohnFredC wrote:Notice in the screen snap that a portion of the path being pointed to is dimmed. This indicates the navigation destination when one clicks the mouse.
That is a brilliant approach! Please, Christian support a similar behaviour!

Edited: The good think is that TC (i.e. Christian actually) is very keen on using delayed clicks on many functions. So, in the current situation he can adopt normal left-clicking on the path field for a behaviour like Servant Salamander and a delayed left-click for the existing path editing feature. Right-clicks (delayed or not) are already assigned to some function over the path field so they can easily be overruled.
Last edited by pdavit on 2004-06-13, 13:51 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

By the way, I was playing around lately with the Frigate file manager which acts in the same way over the path location. Such a simple and clever solution. Very flexible and time-saving. It is true that brilliant ideas are the simple ones! ;)

Please, Christian support the feature if you can. Have a look on the aforementioned two file managers and you’ll know what we mean.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I took a look on how this behavhior is realized in Servant Salamander.

Servant Salamander:
single click: "Dir up"-feature
double click: Path editing

Total Commander:
single click: Path editing
double click: directory menu

Do you still think we don't need a modifier, a way to configure the behavior, a new default behavior (what happens to the directory menu, is the button in the titlebar enough) or something similiar? A questions that should be answered.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

2 Lefteous + All

I didn’t suggest a double-click because I knew it was bound to a function so as: right-click, delayed right-click and left-click (double right-click is something I never had the chance to meet in any application).

But left-click and delayed left-click have the same action over the path field currently for TC. So, I suggested that left-click can be used for the suggested feature since the immediate response is vital due to the nature of the feature, and a delayed left-click should be linked to the current behaviour i.e. for editing the path field.

Edited: One thing we didn’t consider is how will TC tread cases where the path becomes so long that not every sub-division is directly visible. Servant Salamander starts cutting the initial bit of the path making sure that the end is always visible. While this is ok since going into so many levels deep is rare, I have another suggestion which can be even better (alternatives are as always welcome):

A left arrow icon at the beginning of the path field will appear automatically when the path is too long to fit and with a mouse-over-left-arrow function you will get a rapid scrolling to reveal the starting bit of the path. When the mouse looses focus over the left-arrow icon the path field will jump back again in displaying the last portion of the path. Of course, when going back the tree structure and reaching the point where the whole path is visible the left-arrow icon will disappear automatically.

Frigate on the other hand starts cutting a portion close to the end of the path making sure that the starting bit is always visible as well as the very last folder name on the path. Its behaviour is a bit buggy since sometimes the folder(s) just before the last one become hidden in the path and there is not direct way of going back. That is because the cutting starts at a specific point close to the end of the path and since the application also keeps the last bit of the path visible you loose the intermediate folders.
Last edited by pdavit on 2004-06-13, 16:12 UTC, edited 2 times in total.