Shortcuts to icons on button bar

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

eugensyl
Power Member
Power Member

Shortcuts to icons on button bar

Post by *eugensyl »

I try assign a configurable shortcut to a button (icon on button bar), like *.lnk file, but I can't.

Is something I do wrong? Or I miss something?

Best wish, :D
My Best Wishes,

Eugen
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Buttons can't be assigned shortcuts unfortunately.
Shortcuts can be assigned to startmenu entries only and you can redefine them using the TC config.

cm_usermenu1 (first position in startmenu)
cm_usermenu2 (second position...)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vansumsen »

icfu wrote:Buttons can't be assigned shortcuts unfortunately.
Exact when I type it in the inputbox, but when I select (>>button) a shortcut (.lnk) for a button TC automaticly take the full path and name of the program itself instead of the shortcut... and it works fine. :D

Is yhis behaviour anormal :?:

Friendly,

Paul
Ouistiti, #11943

L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Is yhis behaviour anormal
I think that's intended and pretty normal.

But I thought eugensyl was talking about keyboard shortcuts here?

Well, confused, no idea. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
eugensyl
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *eugensyl »

icfu wrote:
Is yhis behaviour anormal
I think that's intended and pretty normal.

But I thought eugensyl was talking about keyboard shortcuts here?

Well, confused, no idea. ;)

Icfu
NO !!! 8)
I think it's useful sometimes to start any button from button bar with shortcut. When I use keyboard it's unconffortable focus on mouse. It's natural.
That it's! Simple...NO? Like *.lnk but inside TC.
Can be catalogated - "desire", if you like.
I appreciate "lnk" solutions. I give U one more: *.bat or compiled *.bat (*.com) or something else. Question is: "to be or not to be" in TC.

Maybe author (ghisler with simpaty) find this - like all forum subjects - interesting and useful ideeas for improuving his 'child'. Personal, I'm glad when somebody told me how I can be better than I am.
If you know what I meen... :wink:
My Best Wishes,

Eugen
Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vansumsen »

2 Eugensyl

It is possible to assigne the same command as those of one button to a usermenu (Start menu?) and to attribuate a shortcut key to this menu...

Can this resolve a little part of your whish :?:

Friendly

Paul
Ouistiti, #11943

L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

eugensyl
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *eugensyl »

Vansumsen wrote:2 Eugensyl

It is possible to assigne the same command as those of one button to a usermenu (Start menu?) and to attribuate a shortcut key to this menu...

Can this resolve a little part of your whish :?:

Friendly

Paul
Thanks 2U, Paul
Is little bit what I want. A good ideea. Thanks again.

Best wish,
My Best Wishes,

Eugen
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

That's what I have proposed above. ;)
Shortcuts can be assigned to startmenu entries only and you can redefine them using the TC config.
Well, of course I second the wish to assign shortcuts to buttons, no question.

Icfu
This account is for sale
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

icfu wrote:......Well, of course I second the wish to assign shortcuts to buttons, no question.

Icfu
If TC's buttonbar can get the focus like window's quick launch bar, that'll be great, then we can use left or right key to select wanted button, and then we can use the keyboard to control all the thing! 8). Although the assigned shortcut will be more efficient, but not enough. :)
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Assigning hotkeys to buttons, menu items or any other user interface element (UI) doesn't make sense. Hotkeys should be assigned to (custom) commands. UI elements shouls be linked to these commands.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Lefteous wrote:Assigning hotkeys to buttons, menu items or any other user interface element (UI) doesn't make sense. Hotkeys should be assigned to (custom) commands. UI elements shouls be linked to these commands.
I do not agree.
Currently you can assign shortcuts to the user-commands in 'starter' but you have to refer to the 'cm_usernmenuxx'.
When you add a new command in Starter with the inbuilt editor these numbers are changing (if you do not append the new command as very last entry). This way you can very easy mix up your shortcuts.

As long as there is no different way to manage user commands and their dependencys to shortcuts it makes very well sense to assign shortcuts to UI elements.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Sheepdog
I do not agree.
Currently you can assign shortcuts to the user-commands in 'starter' but you have to refer to the 'cm_usernmenuxx'.
When you add a new command in Starter with the inbuilt editor these numbers are changing (if you do not append the new command as very last entry). This way you can very easy mix up your shortcuts.

As long as there is no different way to manage user commands and their dependencys to shortcuts it makes very well sense to assign shortcuts to UI elements.
As you have pointed out the current system has some disadvantages. This is why I don't want to see more extensions to this system. I want to see a whole new action managing system.

As you are a german user you may take a look at: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=1074

Short summary:

I suggest a command managing system comparable to the system used in the Visual Component Library (VCL). Of course managing commands should be even intuitive for TC users.
At the moment there is no such a uniform system in Total Commander. I can assign a hotkey to a starter menuitem (for example Ctrl+Alt+F7). Then I go and create a user defined hotkey which uses the same hotkey. Now the hotkey assigned to the menuitem has a higher priority. In addition we have the possibility to assign hotkeys to use defined starter menu entries. A redesign should be done!

A command should have the following properties:
Name: Unique name for command.
Caption: A caption.
Event: The commando which will be executed.
Icon: icon
Hotkey: One or more hotkeys assigned to the action.
Tooltip: A hint.

Each command should be assigned to a category.

There should be a predefined list of actions, which can be extended by the user. The user can pick items from this list to extend or change the menu- or buttonbar. A command will be assigned to each button or menuitem. The UI element will now apply the relevant properties from the command.

These are just the basic ideas. There are many refinements in the thread, too many to list them all. Just one thing that is relevant in this case: If you drag a program from the filelist to the buttonbar a new button we be created. A new command will be created and assigned to the button automatically. The new command will be automatically categorized into the category "User Commands/Executing" and can be reused easily.
For the user this behavior it looks quite similar to assigning a hotkey to a button.
eugensyl
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *eugensyl »

=2Lefteous
...Now the hotkey assigned to the menuitem has a higher priority. In addition we have the possibility to assign hotkeys to use defined starter menu entries. A redesign should be done!

A command should have the following properties:
Name: Unique name for command.
Caption: A caption.
Event: The commando which will be executed.
Icon: icon
Hotkey: One or more hotkeys assigned to the action.
Tooltip: A hint.

Each command should be assigned to a category.
Yes, you be allright. Definetlly must be reconsidered posibility to use TC without mouse. Theoretical.
This is a way to increase productivity. Sure is not a real situation, but is an perception.
In button bar can be:
a) internal command - that can be assigned to a shortcut
b) external programs - the same
and ...
c) external programs with parameter - could be not assigned to a shortcut very easy.
d) folder entry - the same

Of course, I can make a *.bat file or other procedure. This isn't in TC or Ghisler spirit. All think must keep simple for uninitiated users.
We spoke here in order to find opportunity and neccesity of every new features. I appreciate anyway all advices. Thanks!

:D
Best wish,
My Best Wishes,

Eugen
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Lefteous wrote:I want to see a whole new action managing system.

A redesign should be done!
I agree.

Regarding to this it seems that every minute to try to improve the old system is wasting precious time.

One advantage of your solution were that the user_commands could be removed from wincmd.ini to a separate file.

I wish @ghisler would have a few more words this time than:
"That would be nice but mere the bunch of icons would increase the size of TC extremely..."

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
eugensyl
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *eugensyl »

If TC's buttonbar can get the focus like window's quick launch bar, that'll be great, then we can use left or right key to select wanted button, and then we can use the keyboard to control all the thing! 8). Although the assigned shortcut will be more efficient, but not enough. :)
I agree. Wonderful ideea.

:D
Best wish,
My Best Wishes,

Eugen