Slow moving files on external SD

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bartgrefte

Re:

Post by *bartgrefte »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2017-06-15, 08:42 UTC Are you on Android 7? Older Android versions do NOT have the move function.
I'm on Android 8, ran into this issue last night.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Slow moving files on external SD

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Strange, works fine for me on Android 8. Did you try to move files between different volumes, e.g. from internal /storage/emulated/0 to sd-card or USB-stick (/storage/1234-5678)? This will always be slow because it requires copy+delete operations.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
bartgrefte

Post by *bartgrefte »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-08-29, 10:24 UTC Strange, works fine for me on Android 8. Did you try to move files between different volumes, e.g. from internal /storage/emulated/0 to sd-card or USB-stick (/storage/1234-5678)? This will always be slow because it requires copy+delete operations.
Woops, missed the reply. This was moving on the same volume (micro SD).

I'm using a Galaxy S7, maybe Samsung changed something that keeps this slow?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, it it has Android 8, it should work.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Eimaster

Post by *Eimaster »

I think it is a problem or a feature drawback of newer Android. I have six mini SD cards which I'm using without any problems on my Android mobile phone. Moving and/or deleting thousands of files is very fast and equal for internal and external memory and the bigger the files the faster the moving/deleting and the smaller the slower. I use ES Explorer. My mobile specs are as follows:
Model: LT971
Manufacturer: LT
OS Version: Jelly Bean MR2 (4.3)
SDK: 18
CPU: ARMv7
RAM: 1024 MB
Internal Memory: 13.2 GB
External: (depends on the plugged mini SD card size) i6think my mobile can handle up to 32 GB maximum mini SD card.

But because my mobile is slow in opening apps because it is old I had to buy a more modern mobile (actually I bought two, one for me and another one for my wife). My wife's new mobile is an LG (Stylo 4) with Android 8.1, and mine is a Huawei (honor) with Android 8.0. When I plug any of my mentioned mini SD cards in my wife's or my new mobiles I discovered that deleting and moving files is too slow on both mobiles. So I guess the problem of slow delete/move processes occurs only on Android versions newer than 4.3, so I think it cannot be fixed. I think it is Google mistake.

I think that Google did it to minimize memory cards failure or to expand its life cycle. The worst thing is, if I am wrong.