expand selection list glitch/bug?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tempest

expand selection list glitch/bug?

Post by *tempest »

I started editing a new color theme from the scratch, to enhance and expand the power color theme I've been using. This time I put all files into their own searches.

After I got 68 searches defined and started adding more I noticed TC didn't show more than that in "Expand selection" window. So 68 seems to be the maximum searches that window can handle. A small glitch or what?
The window is the one you get when you hit '+' on numpad.

However when I checked wincmd.ini those definitions were added. So I can edit the colors and searches manually in the ini-file and I guess they work too. But would be very good to see them all on the expand selection or figure a way to show only the one's you use with '+' and hide the one's made primarily for color coding.

Anyone else experience this?
tempest

Post by *tempest »

I found another limitation. 100 color filters is the maximum amount, it seems. Why such a limitation? After that when you add new filters in between the other's, the last one 101st will disappear from the color filter list. If you add 101st at the bottom of the "define colors by file type" list and hit ok, it will not show when you come back to check filters.

New filters are still listed on wincmd.ini at ColorFilter101... and so forth, but those filters unfortunately do not work.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

The problem may not be directly related to colour coding and/or searches but actually to a limitation in the size of the ini file. You may have probably exceeded that limit. Check this out: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=1489
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
tempest

Post by *tempest »

Ah, that seems more reasonable. Well, gotta get rid of unneeded stuff then. Kind of a stupid limitation, all because of compatibility.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

tempest wrote:Kind of a stupid limitation, all because of compatibility.
Yes, right! You do play CDs on your DVD Player, don't you?! ;) :D
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

pdavit wrote:Yes, right! You do play CDs on your DVD Player, don't you?! ;) :D
But there's a CD-Player built in the DVD Player. (You need another laser, firmware etc.) And some standalon Player don't play CD's at all.

@tempest
You can use this tool to clean your wincmd.ini

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

On Windows 9x, ini files are limited to 64k in size. On Windows NT/2000/XP, they are limited to 64k per section []. Try using shorter descriptions for your searches.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
There has been a similar thread in the german forum a while ago, where I made suggestion how to workaround for this os limitation could be made.
It could solve the problem on Win NT/2000/XP/2003 completely.

http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2577

Short summary for non german users:

Current situation:
There is a section [Searches] which contains 4 entries for each search filter; example:

Backup files_SearchFor=*.*~*
Backup files_SearchIn=
Backup files_SearchText=
Backup files_SearchFlags=0|00000200|||||||||0000

Suggestion for a new solution:
There could be a section for each search filter. In this case it would be [Searches_Backup files]. All sections starting with "Searches" would be actually search filters. There rest of the section would look this way:

[Searches_Backup files]
SearchFor=*.*~*
SearchIn=
SearchText=
SearchFlags=0|00000200|||||||||0000

In addition the new solution will save some valuable bytes if many sections are defined.

The old [Search] section should be converted automatically. The fact that old TC versions will not be able to read the new sections is not relevant from my point of view,

What do you think?
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Sheepdog wrote:But there's a CD-Player built in the DVD Player. (You need another laser, firmware etc.) And some standalon Player don't play CD's at all.
It's like I can never win with you Sheepdog!!... ;) :) :D :lol:
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

pdavit wrote:It's like I can never win with you Sheepdog!!... ;) :) :D :lol:
Of course you have still won - in soccer. ;) :) :D :lol: :P

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Clo

Achtung !

Post by *Clo »

2Sheepdog
2pdavit
:) Hello !
¤ WARNING : smileys abuse is irritating for someones (If the cap fits, wear it !) :lol:

:mrgreen: Friendly,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Achtung !

Post by *pdavit »

Clo wrote:smileys abuse is irritating for someones
I cannot believe this comment comes from you Clo! Simple because you are very keen on emoticons and you use them extensively more than anyone else in this forum!

Or was it a joke I didn’t get due to incorrect amount of emoticon usage?! ;)
Clo

Joke, indeed !

Post by *Clo »

2pdavit
:) Hello Panos !
¤ Clearly, the «  :lol:  » shows that is a joke, especially dedicated to some "wet blanket". An evidence that smileys are useful !

:mrgreen:  Friendly,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
tempest

Post by *tempest »

Well, my wincmd.ini was stuck to 41KB. It apparently can grow in size up to 64KB, but filters keep dropping before that. So have to try the section thing and see if it works alright. Or would try if it was implemented :P
Gotta try cleaning instead.