TC bug: disappearing dirs' counted size

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

qs_raven

TC bug: disappearing dirs' counted size

Post by *qs_raven »

1. i select {sort by size} - ctrl+f6
2. I press alt+shift+enter (to have sizes of all dirs counted)
3. ok it shows the sizes
4. I switch to another window (another application)
5. I switch back to TC
6. The counted sizes disappear!!!!!!!

This bug has been in TC since I can remember (v 4.x, I suppose)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clo

No bug at home---

Post by *Clo »

2qs_raven
:) Hello ! Welcome on board !
¤ I can't confirm : I made the same test, that works just fine at home under Win 98 SE -TC 6.03a
* I switched to another running program with Alt+Tab, when coming back to TC, all dirs sizes remained. I did that several times, even with three … four programs open.
* I checked too simply switching to the other panel, then displaying the dirs sizes of the other panel too : all is right; switching to / coming back from / another program doesn't act in anyway, the sizes are present still in both panels.
* I verified with an old 5.0 version : ditto.

¤ I use (W)/TC since the 3.51 version, I never noticed such a problem.
* Please, tell us what are the main PC-features (OS, RAM amount etc.), that could help to find the cause of that odd issue at your's…

:mrgreen:  Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
qs_raven

Post by *qs_raven »

I'm sure that this bug exists and ALWAYS occured and still ALWAYS occurs on my computer when the beforementioned circumstances occur.

Here are my specs:
Windows XP Pro (this may matter)
SP1a
All Latest Windows Update patches
AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz
512 MB SDRAM
Windows Virtual Memory OFF (this may matter)
Total "buggy improvisation" Commander v6.03a -Not registered
Clo

Still fine---

Post by *Clo »

2qs_raven
I'm sure that this bug exists and ALWAYS occured and still ALWAYS occurs on my computer when the beforementioned circumstances occur.
- I'm sure of the opposite at home… Since a screen-shot couln't be explicit, you might make a video of that handling (if possible).
* I tested now under XP-Pro too; I've a 2-CPU Athlon 2000+ MP - 1 GB DD-Ram - I guess that the swap file be on or off doesn't matter for my PC.
- That works fine, like under Win 98 SE. I can't reproduce the bug you tell.
- The dirs sizes are lost only whether : either you close TC, or you delete something from the other panel or another program, like it's related in that thread.
- Well, it's 3:50 AM here, I stay on watch on deck, but you'ld have to come back some hours later, perhaps other users would have more infos…
Total "buggy improvisation" Commander v6.03a -Not registered
:shock:  O! Shocking :!:   :lol:

:mrgreen:   Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I can confirm the bug.

@Clo:
Have you sorted by size first? The bug doesn't occur otherwise.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Clo

Of course !

Post by *Clo »

2icfu
:) Hello Jeff !
- Indeed ! I sorted by size, following exactly the handling described by qs_raven
- The dir-sizes display remained in anyway; and it's true, I never saw that, even in the old 16-bit versions. And I've not blessed PCs... :D
- The mystery darkens !  :twisted:
¤ Well, well, another bone of contention ! :lol:

EDIT :
:oops: I found why I couldn't see the bug!
- I sort dirs always by name (for years, I prefer that setting). So, even sorting by size, only the files are sorted.
- The bug occurs really when sorting the dirs like the files.
- Hence, a workaround is to sort the dirs always by name.
- Another trick : when you use <space-bar> to display the dir-sizes, these sizes remain in any case. :P (mysteries of TC still !)

:mrgreen:  V G
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2004-07-27, 16:23 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
MacQ

Post by *MacQ »

This also happens if you want to see the properties (right click -> properties) of the selected and ordered by size directories.
Clo

Ditto : space-bar

Post by *Clo »

2MacQ
:) Hello !
This also happens if you want to see the properties (right click -> properties) of the selected and ordered by size directories
• Right, but it's the same than when switching to another program : if you use <space-bar> to display the dir-sizes, the sizes stay.

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

If the bug didn't occur after having the list first sorted I would have assumed that it was intentional. Christian is very keen on speed issues and since in the current situation when focus is lost from TC, when you come back to it, it will have to recalculate the sizes of the individual folders.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

pdavit wrote
when you come back to it, it will have to recalculate the sizes of the individual folders.
you are right

2qs_raven
to prevent this add the following key under [Configuration] section in wincmd.ini

Noreread=list_of_your_drives

restart TC, now each time you return to TC window the dirs size will remain
but in this case you must refresh the files list manually when you need.

a new tool can help to add such keys need your opinion

thanks
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

It is still a bug as it makes no sense to autoreread a directory when nothing has changed.
It works with all other sorting options without any problems so what's the point in rereading automatically only when sorting by size is activated?

Icfu
This account is for sale
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

icfu wrote:It is still a bug as it makes no sense to autoreread a directory when nothing has changed.
It works with all other sorting options without any problems so what's the point in rereading automatically only when sorting by size is activated?

Icfu
Confirmed!
in this case i have a new solution: before switching to another application do not forget to sort the dirs by name. :lol:
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

before switching to another application do not forget to sort the dirs by name.
So true.... :mrgreen:

Well, I don't think that this needs 30 hours of work for ghisler so I hope he will fix the bug in the next release.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Clo

Proverb---

Post by *Clo »

2icfu
:) Hi Jeff !
…so I hope he will fix the bug in the next release
«Hope feeds the life !» :D

:mrgreen:  VG
Claude
Clo
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Hope dies last. :D

Icfu
This account is for sale