Lister Feature Request

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gazoz

Lister Feature Request

Post by *gazoz »

There are many times I work with many programs simultaniously and refer to small texts (via the lister of course!). Such as this setting.

Well no, and hell no, I will not suggest Always on Top one more time in this forum :)

When I open small text files (100's of them one after another) which usually contain a few rows and coloumns of data, I find myself going through this tedious sequence,
1 - Open the file (looks like this)
2 - Make it always on top with some shortcut (I am using AlwaysOnTopMaker from FadSoft)
3 - Reach out for the mouse (this is where I hate it)
4 - Move the pointer to the lower right edge of lister window
5 - Resize it by dragging it up and down to fit, until it looks like this

It would be very nice to have (and probably very easy to implement) a feature that takes care of the last 3 steps.
A suggestion, if I may, is that, triggered by the F key the lister in text mode would,
- Find out the maximum coloumn width (unwrapped), and number of lines
- And if these numbers are bounded in some prespecified limit, resize the lister window to encapsulate all text, nothing more, nothing less.

what do you say?
- Gazoz
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Lister Feature Request

Post by *Sheepdog »

gazoz wrote: A suggestion, if I may, is that, triggered by the F key the lister in text mode would,
- Find out the maximum coloumn width (unwrapped), and number of lines
- And if these numbers are bounded in some prespecified limit, resize the lister window to encapsulate all text, nothing more, nothing less.

what do you say?
- Gazoz
Nice idea, but I guess @ghisler will refuse to implement because:
Liste loads files without regarding 'tabs' or 'EndOfLines' for speedreasons. So Lister couldn't find max of columnwidht. :(

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
gazoz

Post by *gazoz »

Good point, which should have been clarified.

This extra functionality does not necessarily interfere with the load speed. Just the same way as having extra lister plugins: They are not there, unless you tell them so..

Hitting F would tell lister to parse the file one more time, this time counting the returns. And the good thing is that, this shouldn't take long either, because there is a file-size limit which this functionality is not needed anyway. If, say, you hit F while viewing a huge binary file (order of gigabytes), the feature simply returns without any action. Whereas counting lines, even in a very very huge text file (200k lines ~ 16 MB) is a matter of miliseconds (in a very modest machine).
===========================
I am in love with ghisler... no speculations please! you know why ...
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

2gazoz

That's a very good point.

To count at the very most 40 returns should be possible without decrease of Lister- speed.

I support your request.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams