question about (windows) commander version 4.0

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

itsmenow

question about (windows) commander version 4.0

Post by *itsmenow »

I am still using version 4.0

WC always opens in 2 windows for 2 different drives. Of course that is the charm of the software to copy, move and handle files on your hard-drive(s)

I would like to know if there is a possibility to open WC in ONE window.
I sometimes use WC as a real commander to start up files. With mp3-files I cannot read long filenames with 2 screens. Maximum I can read is 22 characters....If I have one screen then there is space for long file names I think.......Any key or command to do this?

Thanks in advance for helping
Clo

Antiquated !

Post by *Clo »

2itsmenow
:) Hello !
- In the newer versions - even W-C 5.0 in example, you can enable : Configuration >> Options >> Display >> "Show filename in filelist as tooltip if truncated"
So, the very long names are displayed as an info-text.
- Isn't possible to display one window, but you can set the width to maxi by hand. In 5.0 and newer, there is a small context menu by a right-click on the separator-stripe, to choose the average of windows widths.
- You might upgrade to the newest version 6.03a, where HUGE improvements have been brought; the downloaded updates are quite free of charge.

:mrgreen:  Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
itsmenow

Re: Antiquated !

Post by *itsmenow »

Clo wrote:2itsmenow
:) Hello !
- In the newer versions - even W-C 5.0 in example, you can enable : Configuration >> Options >> Display >> "Show filename in filelist as tooltip if truncated"
So, the very long names are displayed as an info-text.
Claude thank you very much for your kind and fast answer!
Quoted text above helped me: this is exactly what I want, and it works fine in WC version 4.0 too!! Now all my wishes are fullfilled...... :D
Perhaps I am going to download a newer version....
Thanks again! Many greetings!
Clo

Nice to hear---

Post by *Clo »

2itsmenow
:) Hi again !
• Glad to hear that this workaround does the trick for you;
I have no version older than 5.0 (because some pretty PC-crashes) to verify what functions existed and worked already in 4.0…

• I should be great to upgrade to 6.03a. In addition, you could get the free Tutorial (link below) to refresh your knowledges about T. Commander ;)
- Note : whether you have a registration key (1 KB), it'll be valid still, its name stays unchanged. Besides, the EXE name has changed, so a quite new installation should be more suitable…

:mrgreen:  Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Re: question about (windows) commander version 4.0

Post by *Sheepdog »

itsmenow wrote:I would like to know if there is a possibility to open WC in ONE window.
Clo wrote: - Isn't possible to display one window, but you can set the width to maxi by hand.
If you open 'configuration->save settings' TC opens next time with this 'outfit'.
Otherwise you could set the panels in vertical arrangement by cm_VerticalPanels or [alt]+[w] [v].

2 Clo

Hello Claude,

If you are interested in older versons you can find them at Maxwishs site: http://clubtotal.free.fr/index.php?dir=Releases/

best regards

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Clo

No collection---

Post by *Clo »

2Sheepdog
:) Hello Stefan !
If you are interested in older versons you can find them at Maxwishs site…
¤ Not especially, but I missed one in that case; I have some 16-bit old ones somewhere in old HDs, but I can't mount again this old PC (no space enough @ home !).
Thanks for the info, always useful.

:mrgreen:  Friendly,
Claude
Clo
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

Excuse O.T:
Not especially, but I missed one in that case; I have some 16-bit old ones somewhere in old HDs, but I can't mount again this old PC (no space enough @ home !).
Install Windows 3.11 in a Virtual Machine a test the 16 bit version! You can use QEmu (faster) or Bochs.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

CoMiKe wrote:Install Windows 3.11 in a Virtual Machine a test the 16 bit version! You can use QEmu (faster) or Bochs.
Guess you didn't understand the prob of Clo. while it is no problem to use the 16bit version under XP he has not enough physical space (in his flat/room) to install several old PCs. And the old versions are on the HD's of these PCs. So the prob is rather how to get the content of these HDs into the new PC if there is no HD -changing frame available.

Once I had a MX 300 Mainframe (a SIEMENS with 80186 CPU) it roared like a tank and you had to connect a terminal station to it. But unfortunately there was not enbough room for this lovely piece of Computer history - so I had to put it away :(

sheepdog
Douglas Adams
Clo

Good sight

Post by *Clo »

2Sheepdog
:) Hi Stefan !
• Right, this is the problem. I've an old (but nice) Packard-Bell -P1@150 MHz, but no free location to reinstall it.
* Moreover, I fear that my diskettes of Win 3.1 be damaged to install like CoMiKe said… :(

:mrgreen: V G
Claude
Clo
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Good sight

Post by *Sheepdog »

Clo wrote:* Moreover, I fear that my diskettes of Win 3.1 be damaged to install like CoMiKe said… :(
When it comes to that you want to install win 3.1 or win3.11 you can send me a mail, I can probably help you. ;)

sheepdog
Douglas Adams
Clo

Remove the disorder---

Post by *Clo »

2Sheepdog
¤ Thank you, I will not forget ! ;)
Not soon, but I'm thinking about how to free some space in my cave !

:mrgreen:  V G
Claude
Clo
vlado

Re: question about (windows) commander version 4.0

Post by *vlado »

Hi,
itsmenow wrote:I would like to know if there is a possibility to open WC in ONE window.
No, but you can use almost perfect workaround - making one of the panels invisible:

1. Install current version (6.03a).
2. Check Vertical Arrangement in Show menu.
3. Drag panel divider to the topmost position and drop.
4. That's it.

Just don't use Tab to switch panels. Cursor disappears - it is somewhere in invisible panel. In such case - hit Tab again or click mouse into the visible panel.
You can still use Tabs for visible panel.

Vlado