Wish: clear FTP log-file(s) automatically…

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Clo

Wish: clear FTP log-file(s) automatically…

Post by *Clo »

:D Hello All !

• Everyone knows that the FTP log-files are very useful !
- However, they can be filled very quickly, becoming even huge : once, I found out a 1.3 MB one (!), hum… my Dear Son's job in the workstation he uses at home. :P
- Such huge files aren't easy to edit in order to remove large parts of their contents "by hand".
- Hence, to prevent so big sizes, I thought to a feature able to clear - either totally or partially - the FTP log-file(s), following a chosen threshold size, and by a certain percentage, chosen too.
- This could be indispensable for Companies having a big FTP traffic; I bet that actually some resign the FTP-log use, because the files become huge in two days or so…
- Plus : on the FTP configuration page, we cannot set directly a summary FTP-log file currently; it must be set by adding the entry :

Code: Select all

[General]
LogFile2=path/file-name.txt
in the file <wcx_ftp.ini> by hand.
• So, you may see HERE that the FTP setting-page could be with these options.

:roll: Of course, I would prefer personally a built-in feature in TC… If really impossible :| an external tool or plugin / addon could do the trick… All infos about this are welcome. :)

- I didn't find out any similar feature request in the board; but our Search engine is a bit temperamental sometimes…

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vansumsen »

I'm suprised of the absence of reaction to this usefull proposition...

I hope that it is not regarding his author who works hardly voluntarily for this forum and for TC is beyond doubt !

Perhaps all your attention is focused on other exiting non technical topics ?

Paul
Ouistiti, #11943

L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

IGL

Post by *IGL »

Hello,
I have just entered the forum.
I do sign under this.
Normally such logs do not hurt me, I do not make too much FTP traffic and I have a few GB of free space on my HDD.

This is a good idea, and actually all the log files which are created should always have the size limit to configure. That prevents uncontrolled growth.

2Vansumsen
The person posting this topis is one of the most active person on this forum and support TC very hard.
I am really grateful and I would not ignore his post.

I think that this idea is good and maybe others had nothing more to add :) . Or maybe thay have not experienced any problem from this - 1.3MB file may not be too large file.
:-)
Clo

Garulous servers---

Post by *Clo »

2IGL
:) Hello Chris !
¤ Glad to see you again on the board !
- Thank you very much for your support and these compliments…
- 1.3 MB was the summary log-file ! I'd to delete / recreate the main file (with details) ! Some servers are very "garulous", while others are rather "sober" - even too much !-.
- This feature to limit the logs sizes exists in some programs, I think isn't very complicated to implement, or else to realize as a plugin / tool.

:mrgreen: Friendly,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Limiting the log file size is a bit problematic. What when the limit is reached?
1. Delete the oldest log entry. This would be slow because TC would have to copy the entire file on each entry.
2. Don't append any new entries. This wouldn't be good because usually the newest entries are the most interesting.
3. Open a new file. This could also be done with a batch file at startup, e.g.

del totalcmd.ba2
move totalcmd.ba1 totalcmd.ba2
move totalcmd.bak totalcmd.ba1
move totalcmd.log totalcmd.bak

Any other suggestions?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Clo

User's choice !

Post by *Clo »

2ghisler(Author)
Limiting the log file size is a bit problematic. What when the limit is reached?
:) Good evening,
¤ TC could display a message like :

---------------------------------------------------------------------
The limit-size(s) of the FTP log-file(s) is(are) reached.
Clear the file(s) :
[Now] [When closing TC] [At next start-up] [Ignore]
------------------------------------------------------------

• What do you think ? In anyway, that should be much handier than "by hand"…

:mrgreen: Best regards,
Claude
Clo
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm, not a very nice solution to kill the entire file. What if the user says no? Warn him on the next start? I mean, with computers shipping with 40 GB harddisks and larger these days (you can't buy smaller ones!), a 2 MB log file doesn't really count that much - even a 100 MB log file would be just 1/4 % of the total disk space...
Clo

Nor free space

Post by *Clo »

2ghisler(Author)
:) Good evening,

¤ There is not [No] option above; and nobody is bound to clear the whole file; please, view again the pic in my first post.
- The issue isn't the free space on the disks - though some have not very big HDs like you say. The problem is to clear the percentage you want, and to keep the percentage you want, without the difficulty to edit huge files by hand. With a 2-CPU @ 1.65 GHz and 1 GB DD-Ram, it's still long for 1.3 MB file, and impossible for much bigger ones (the editor hangs).

:mrgreen:  Best regards,
Claude
Clo
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm using PFE, it has absolutely no problems with big text files.
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe/

Notepad on Win2k/XP doesn't have any problems either...