How to synchronize Android device?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

t_arn

How to synchronize Android device?

Post by *t_arn »

I have TotalCommander 8.52a and I'm trying to synchronize a directory tree from my PC with the one on my Android phone (MTP connection)

I can browse the Android phone by choosing the phone from ("Computer") and copying files is working but the directory synchronizer is not working, neither F2, nor the Diskdir plugin.

Am I missing something?
Is this working with TC 9.0 ?
If it is not working: is there a plugin that can do this?

Thanks
Tom
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, Synchronize dirs isn't working with internal MTP function. It uses virtual folders, and Windows only gives very limited access via MTP this way.

You can instead use my MediaAudio2 plugin, it uses low level MTP functions. Or use Android ADB plugin.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sidefx88

Post by *sidefx88 »

I use a Samba file sharing server app on my Android phone and mapped two drives on my Windows (one for the internal phone memory and one for the SD card on the phone). Then I can synchronize between drives and folders on the phone and PC.

BTW: I do this using no cables, just over WiFi!
I Love Total Commander!
t_arn

Post by *t_arn »

ghisler(Author) wrote:You can instead use my MediaAudio2 plugin, it uses low level MTP functions.
Yes, this works better. But here, I have following 2 issues (I have a Samsung S4)
1. when I copy a file to the phone, the timestamp is 2 hours off (Swiss Summer time...)
2. the plugin does not run stable on my machine and hangs very often. The reason might be that my PC is a zeroclient virtual machine :-(

I'll try the ADB plugin now.

Tom
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

1. Unfortunately there is no standard what timezone MTP uses. Some devices return local time, some UTC, and some their own time.
2. Can you give me more details of when it hangs?
t_arn

Post by *t_arn »

ghisler(Author) wrote:1. Unfortunately there is no standard what timezone MTP uses. Some devices return local time, some UTC, and some their own time.
2. Can you give me more details of when it hangs?
1. Then, maybe the time difference could be configured by the user?
2. When I copy from one panel to the other, it works very well. But when I do a "Synchronize dirs" and then start the synchronize process, it starts off ok, but then, after some time, it often hangs and TC becomes unresponsive.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

1. This would be difficult because it would have to be done separately by device, but multiple devices cannot be easily recognized.

2. I haven't seen that here yet. When does it happen? During the compare step, or during the copy/delete step (after clicking on 'synchronize' button on the right side)?
t_arn

Post by *t_arn »

1. Yes, the time diff option would probably need to be in the "Synchronize directories" dialog itself...

2. It happens during the copy/delete step
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will make some more tests. What are you copying? Are you copying from Android to Windows, or from Windows to Android? Are you trying to overwrite files on the Android side?
hhgygy

Re: How to synchronize Android device?

Post by *hhgygy »

This thread is quite old but I just wanted to thank you for the tip.
I have to synchronise 10.000+ documents (my work) regularly onto my Android phone.
It seemed to me it takes hours or even days to do that on Windows so I gave up on it but then I found this thread and installed the MediaAudio2 plugin and it does MIRACLES. Thanks once again for suggesting it. I hope others with the same problem will find this thread and this post via Google.