Customize TC Title Bar

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It was fun while it lasted, but maybe, now it is time for a more constructive dialog
I agree. :oops:
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

HerbieH,
now it is time for a more constructive dialog
I agree but unfortunately there is not much room for discussion when someone claims something (in this case a UI feature) is important for absolutely everyone who runs both the x86 and x64 versions in parallel. You simply cannot claim to speak for all people, especially if your statement is wrong, since I don't need it.
Back to the constructive dialog - for instance I'd welcome if the 32-bit version would show (32-bit) or (x86) so, since the 64-bit version is my default version with an occassional need to run the 32-bit one (because of 32-bit-only plugins).

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Hacker wrote:... I'd welcome if the 32-bit version would show (32-bit) or (x86) ...
Support+ (I'd prefer (x86)).
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Hacker wrote:HerbieH,
now it is time for a more constructive dialog
I agree but unfortunately there is not much room for discussion when someone claims something (in this case a UI feature) is important for absolutely everyone who runs both the x86 and x64 versions in parallel. You simply cannot claim to speak for all people, especially if your statement is wrong, since I don't need it.
Back to the constructive dialog - for instance I'd welcome if the 32-bit version would show (32-bit) or (x86) so, since the 64-bit version is my default version with an occassional need to run the 32-bit one (because of 32-bit-only plugins).

Roman
I don't know what was so exiting of my first comment that you and others discuss it over and over ?
If you don't like it say you disagree and thats it.
I don't think hours about every post before sending it.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Horst.Epp,
Nothing exciting, nothing to like or not like, your statement was simply factually wrong and I corrected it.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Anncey

Re: Bitte

Post by *Anncey »

petermad wrote: 2017-09-30, 02:28 UTC
Here is a suggestion:
Instead of static text it would be nice to have variable text like e.g.:

%CURRENT_TAB_NAME%
%CURRENT_FOLDER%
Support+++
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2017-10-02, 08:11 UTC "I will consider it for a future version.
Grüezi, Kommandos :mrgreen:
Just want to pitch in my 2ȼ ...
that (imo) TC really should have the above "functionality" ...
TC is the only FileManager (among those that I use)
that does NOT "generate" any "useful" info in the TitleBar ...

Today I'm writing some AHK (AppsKey/ContextMenu) scripts
whose functionality are "ContextSensitive"
to which Folder/File is "selected" ...

I realize I can find/extract the (necessary) info
from the "VisibleText" that TC generates;
however, (imo) TC would be (much) more "user friendly"
with the suggested functionality 8)

Support+++
Anncey

Wir werden sehen ...

Post by *Anncey »

Anncey wrote: 2021-05-26, 16:59 UTC "Today I'm writing some AHK (AppsKey/ContextMenu) scripts
whose functionality are "ContextSensitive"
to which Folder/File is "selected" ...

I realize I can find/extract the (necessary) info
from the "VisibleText" that TC generates;
however, (imo) TC would be (much) more "user friendly"
with the suggested functionality 8)
"In the meantime" I (just) might write
an AHK script ~ that will (in "RealTime") write to the TC-TitleBar
the "Folder/Text/Info" ~ to achieve the "desired result" :mrgreen:
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Customize TC Title Bar

Post by *HolgerK »

Inspired by https://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php?title=AutoHotkey:_Show_the_active_path_in_the_title_bar
ActivePathInTheTitleBar.ahk

Code: Select all

#Persistent

SetTimer subTimer, 250

subTimer:
	if WinActive( "ahk_exe TOTALCMD64.exe" )
	{
		ControlGetText sPath, Window5
	}
	if WinActive( "ahk_exe TOTALCMD.exe" )
	{
		ControlGetText sPath, TMyPanel3
	}
	if ( sPath != "" )
	{
		StringMid sPath, sPath, 1, StrLen(sPath) -1
		WinGetTitle sWindowTitle
		if ( sWindowTitle != sPath )
			WinSetTitle %sPath%
	}
	Return
Regards
Holger
Make our planet great again
pleasedToMeetYou

Post by *pleasedToMeetYou »

I have the same request as @Anncey

How are we supposed to know which open window has which contents? It looks like "[1] Total...", "[2] Total...", I can't tell the difference. At this point I'm only using one window of TC, and windows explorer for other windows...
I understand you're using the title for anti-piracy measures, but you can just append the name / NOT REGISTERED, right? We could have both.

Using a script that runs every 250ms like users above have written is a very inelegant solution (and fragile, it's broken atm).
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2017-10-02, 08:11 UTC I will consider it for a future version.
In 2017 you wrote that you're going to consider the this, please give us an update. @ghisler(Author)
ankyzop

Post by *ankyzop »

I would conservatively guess that 99% of TC users have no reason to ever be running both the 32bit + 64bit versions of the program side by side for long enough to ever have the need to know at a quick glance which is which from the title bar. Even if that guess is wrong, then there now exists the capability to add such a notation to the end of the title bar to distinguish them anyway

Edit by Mod:
User added a URL as Spam to his signature in tiny tiny font size (looks like just a dot) > Signature removed > user banned.

Please help us and report such posts (via the [!] button) if you find them on browsing the forum, thanks.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re:

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Hacker wrote: 2017-10-26, 23:01 UTC You simply cannot claim to speak for all people, especially if your statement is wrong, since I don't need it.
He obviously can forsee that MORE people want to see then dont want to see so "YES, it is" :twisted:
(apart from the fact that the icon also shows if you run 32 or 64 bit)

But yes make it more configurable. The ONLY thing that should stay is the name if you bought TC, that should be fixed and not changeable - everything else should be able to be replace by the user as he/she/it wishes :D

I would conservatively guess that 99% of TC users have reasons to run both the 32bit + 64bit versions of the program side by side for long enough to ever have the need to know at a quick glance which is which from the title bar :P especially with TC still having some good 32bit only Plugins like https://totalcmd.net/plugring/tlister.html (11 years and no one made a 64bit version although the source is there... :( )
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

TLister 64-bit links

Post by *Usher »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2022-09-04, 21:16 UTCsome good 32bit only Plugins like https://totalcmd.net/plugring/tlister.html (11 years and no one made a 64bit version although the source is there... :( )
Wrong. You can find 64-bit TLister version mentioned here:
viewtopic.php?p=357478#p357478
https://tbeu.de/forum/wlx_tlister_1.2.0.1.rar

And now TLister is hosted on github:
viewtopic.php?p=360331&hilit=tlister%2A+github#p360331
https://github.com/a-ilin/tLister/releases
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TLister 64-bit links

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Usher wrote: 2022-09-06, 19:27 UTC
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2022-09-04, 21:16 UTCsome good 32bit only Plugins like https://totalcmd.net/plugring/tlister.html (11 years and no one made a 64bit version although the source is there... :( )
Wrong. You can find 64-bit TLister version mentioned here:
viewtopic.php?p=357478#p357478
https://tbeu.de/forum/wlx_tlister_1.2.0.1.rar

And now TLister is hosted on github:
viewtopic.php?p=360331&hilit=tlister%2A+github#p360331
https://github.com/a-ilin/tLister/releases
thanks for that but
TC x64 is still looks not very usable due to missing menu and issues with window resizing.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2Sir_SiLvA
Just try both linked versions (they are different) and report which one is better for you, please.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
pleasedToMeetYou

Post by *pleasedToMeetYou »

pleasedToMeetYou wrote: 2022-06-24, 11:07 UTC In 2017 you wrote that you're going to consider the this, please give us an update. @ghisler(Author)
I asked Ghisler via email to provide an update here. He didn't, but was kind enough to respond via email.
My suggestion was to add something like: `TitleExtraText=*[folderName]`
My summary of the exchange:
Ghisler provided some reasons (imho all excuses) why this is not a good idea for TC:
(1) Window title is limited to 64 chars on some versions of windows (don't know which; not on mine)
(2) TC has two open windows (could default to left or make it configurable)
(3) Changing the title bar on each directory change can be very annoying (friendly rebuttal: this could be opt-in)

It seems to me that Ghisler does not want this feature, so don't expect it to show up in a future version of TC...