So... will Microsoft finally make Mr. Ghisler switch to UWP?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MiloW

So... will Microsoft finally make Mr. Ghisler switch to UWP?

Post by *MiloW »

As Microsoft is trying to make companies switch to the Store, I am dreaming of the moment Mr. Ghisler will decide to switch to UWP architecture.

Can't wait for the modern look : )
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

There is no need for any modern look in a file manager :)
On a normal desktop UWP is of no need at all.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Re: So... will Microsoft finally make Mr. Ghisler switch to

Post by *HolgerK »

MiloW wrote:As Microsoft is trying to make companies switch to the Store,
Honestly, if it would come that the only way to use a program in windows is to install it from the store, it would take me less than one hour to completely switch to linux.
I am dreaming of the moment Mr. Ghisler will decide to switch to UWP architecture.

Can't wait for the modern look : )
What pros do you see for UWP apps compared to desktop apps, other than a "modern look" which is not a prerequisite for UWP apps and may be a personal and time limited matter of taste?

Regards
Holger
Make our planet great again
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I am dreaming of the moment Mr. Ghisler will decide to switch to UWP architecture.
That will be the day I'll stop upgrading my Total Commander :shock: :evil:
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Actually I wrote a UWP version of Total Commander - for Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile. It's still available in the store.

I also made a Windows version, but never released it, because:
- it's severely restricted compared to the desktop version
- plugins cannot be used
- file operations are terribly slow because of the delayed execution (await function) implementation in UWP. Especially reading directories is painfully slow.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MiloW

Post by *MiloW »

Well, I'm talking full functionality version : /

I will not start a discussion on pros of a "modern look". I know there are a lot of old school people here and if they are not already into it, then my time here is wasted anyway : )

In my opinion - a person's, who really likes this "modern stuff", the flat design (or its other incarnations - either Material from Google or Fluent from Microsoft), I simply would love to have it.

And I would buy another license just for this UWP version.

I am a customer, too, right? Just expressing my thoughts and needs.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

MiloW wrote:I will not start a discussion on pros of a "modern look". I know there are a lot of old school people here and if they are not already into it, then my time here is wasted anyway : )
My question was about the advantage of UWP-apps compared to desktop apps.
I did not talk about modern UI aspects, except that these are often part of personal taste.
Yes I'm an old school user but also part of a developer team with fresh UI design concepts. I guess I'm a little bit more open minded than you may think.

To give you some hints about aspects that should be considered before switching to UWP apps: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36286806/uwp-limitations-in-desktop-apps[quote]Security context. The UWP platform runs applications in an AppContainer security context. "Win32 desktop apps" on Windows Vista or later run as "Standard User" or as "Administrator". UWP apps have less access rights than "Standard User" and can never run as "Administrator". UWP apps can request additional capabilities to get a few more rights with permission from the user, but have limited access to the system and user data. For example, you cannot read most of the filesystem, only your installed location, an isolated application data folder, and an isolated temporary file folder. See File access and permissions (Windows Runtime apps). This also means UWP apps have limited access to devices. See Device and sensor overviews.[/quote]

It may be, that some people will live happy with a flat UI, but hey: "form follows function" and who want's to live with a modern form without (or noticeable less) function?

Regards
Holger
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I don't really understand why Microsoft doesn't provide a modern Windows Runtime and let applications decide which of the limitations are followed or not.
Or just divide them into application software and system software.

I don't think is a difference in the older and newer frameworks in terms of UI (beside the ease of implementation) but I want to add that the current modern for Microsoft is fluent not flat:
https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/uwp/design/fluent-design-system/index
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

but I want to add that the current modern for Microsoft is fluent not flat:
Yep, started with windows 10 fall creator update, bringing back some effects we already known from windows vista.
As i said: "and may be a personal and time limited matter of taste"

My personal impression is that Microsoft tries to focus on a single common UI for wide range of devices which are by nature so different (desktop, tablet, mixed reality, x-box, phones?) that a common unique interface is hard to reach.
Result for desktop users may be that the worst from everything is what the user may have to live with.

This constant evolving of new ui styling is something a programmer can hardly follow.
And this is not new: Ever tried to get a consistent UI with mixed controls from Windows Forms and WPF using default themes?

Regards
Holger
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2HolgerK
No I don't think this is the reason why Microsoft no longer follows its very own interpretation of flat. It was really a disaster from the start. Windows 8 totally failed and Windows phone... well.... and yes not just becuase of flat design but it was definitely an element of the failure. Flat design isn't flat design though. I'm talking only about Microsofts approch to it.

I don't think that a consistent UI language over platforms is actually difficult, technological issues aside.
Not having a mobile OS can be an issue here though... :twisted:
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Well, I'm talking full functionality version
You can forget that, there are just too many restrictions for UWP apps.

For example, you cannot even launch EXE files from UWP apps! You can open documents, but only with the predefined associated program, or "open with", not with a program of choice.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MiloW

Post by *MiloW »

I didn't know that. That's a pity.

So the narration could lead to not having a full UWP but just... a different skin for TC.
And to be honest, I don't know (I don't follow this forum so much) whether you would accept a "modern look" fork of TC?
"Modern Commander" or something ; )
That would be cool.