I can not preview some mp3 files

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

aksmfakt132

I can not preview some mp3 files

Post by *aksmfakt132 »

Recommend the best Lister
I do not play some mp3 files (most mp3s play)
And I want to preview as many kinds of files as possible

And I want to make sure that when I press 'ctrl + enter', it works the same as when I press 'enter'. how?

And I would like to run the file in the compressed file
(with the appropriate program for each file).
(I have not decompressed yet)

However, if you type Enter in Total Commander to run it, the attributes of that file appear
What should I do?
Last edited by aksmfakt132 on 2018-06-07, 00:52 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
nn1k3

Post by *nn1k3 »

As you know, Ctrl+Q will preview mp3 files (and several other file types) without the need for any plugin.

If it fails on a particular file, that file may have the wrong file extension. In that case, press tab and then "1". You should see "ID3" for mp3 files.
aksmfakt132

Post by *aksmfakt132 »

nn1k3 wrote:As you know, Ctrl+Q will preview mp3 files (and several other file types) without the need for any plugin.

If it fails on a particular file, that file may have the wrong file extension. In that case, press tab and then "1". You should see "ID3" for mp3 files.
My mp3 file works perfectly on all music players
It is obvious that the mp3 file
In Total Commander it is marked as 'mp3'

However, in the total Commander (Alt + Q) 10 to 20% of the files will not work
What is the problem?
Can I help if I let you download the file?
j7n

Post by *j7n »

This is possibly caused by very large ID3v2 tags, for example with Artwork, prepended to the MP3 files. Windows (at least old versions) will give up if they can't sync to MPEG data within a few dozen kilobytes. The ID3v2 format is poorly designed; other tag formats are saved at the end of the data, and don't break compatibility with old software.

You might want to install a plugin that plays music files better. This example plugin is fairly old, maybe you can find a better one.

But it doesn't seem to be very useful to do this. Windows OS or a file manager aren't good programs for playing music. With a multimedia viewer active, I can't interact with the file manager to view other files or their parameters, or playback will be interrupted.

I would install a small music player that starts instantly, for example, XMPlay, and associate music files with it (keeping associations for a full-featured player or sound editor within the context menu), and play them as normal by double-clicking.
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a
aksmfakt132

Post by *aksmfakt132 »

j7n wrote:This is possibly caused by very large ID3v2 tags, for example with Artwork, prepended to the MP3 files. Windows (at least old versions) will give up if they can't sync to MPEG data within a few dozen kilobytes. The ID3v2 format is poorly designed; other tag formats are saved at the end of the data, and don't break compatibility with old software.

You might want to install a plugin that plays music files better. This example plugin is fairly old, maybe you can find a better one.

But it doesn't seem to be very useful to do this. Windows OS or a file manager aren't good programs for playing music. With a multimedia viewer active, I can't interact with the file manager to view other files or their parameters, or playback will be interrupted.

I would install a small music player that starts instantly, for example, XMPlay, and associate music files with it (keeping associations for a full-featured player or sound editor within the context menu), and play them as normal by double-clicking.
So the conclusion is,
Do I have to give up trying to play all mp3 files using the total commander?
j7n

Post by *j7n »

Try the plugin. Biggest issue I have with it is that I was unable to add more recent formats to it (flac, wavpack, etc.), despite trying to copy bass 2.4 dll files into its folder. But for MP3 it works.

Not much point in having a player inside Lister in my opinion. Right-click and choose "View (Lister)" or right-click and choose "XMplay" with the same effect.

There is TCPlayer, but it is incredibly bloated (compared to bass that does the actual work), has ugly fake DOS flat design, requires NET Framework and Windows Seven.
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a