64 bit.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Darth_Vader

Post by *Darth_Vader »

gigaman
Hey, I'm not a kid ;) what I'm talking about is not turning the filesystem and registry redirection totally OFF, even just for a single prog, I was just asking is there an option of tunnning the TC settings so that it still used 32-bit modules for its own functioning, but displayed the correct registry and filesystem for user operations.
Somebody called for an Exterminator?
gigaman

Post by *gigaman »

No, TC doesn't contain the necessary code (to turn off the filesystem redirection temporarily) yet - so it's not possible.
Darth_Vader

Post by *Darth_Vader »

Too bad. I hope the fix is planned for implementation in the nearest future.
Somebody called for an Exterminator?
juangelos

Workaround for Vista

Post by *juangelos »

You can workaround this creating (using Windows Explorer) a "sysnative" folder in C:\Windows

This somehow (I don't have time to investigate into MS' craziness right now) enables a native link to the native filesystem.

URLs in the next post.
juangelos

References

Post by *juangelos »

CAN'T POST URLS YET (phpBB)

google "msdn File System Redirector",
Starting with Windows Vista, 32-bit applications can access the native system directory by substituting %windir%\Sysnative for %windir%\System32. WOW64 recognizes Sysnative as a special alias used to indicate that the file system should not redirect the access. This mechanism is flexible and easy to use, therefore, it is the recommended mechanism to bypass file system redirection. Note that 64-bit applications cannot use the Sysnative alias as it is a virtual directory not a real one.

google "Monochrome Blog - Updating your hosts file in Vista 64-bit"
For some reason, in Vista 64-bit, 32-bit applications can’t see the 64-bit tree, meaning that the hosts file is essentially invisible. So, how the hell do we get round this?

Well, backdoor ahoy - there is a solution. In your C:\Windows folder (%systemroot%) create a “sysnative” folder and browse through that. Bingo! your good old 32-bit folder structure should now be present, and low and behold your hosts file.
NOTE: you need to do this in Windows Explorer (or maybe there's sone way to do it with tc but gave me an error when trying, don't have time now to find out).
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: References

Post by *m^2 »

juangelos wrote:(...)Starting with Windows Vista (...)
I think that this is by far the most important part of your post.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Re: References

Post by *HolgerK »

juangelos wrote:NOTE: you need to do this in Windows Explorer (or maybe there's sone way to do it with tc but gave me an error when trying, don't have time now to find out).
cd %windir%\Sysnative

HTH,
Holger