Wanted: new / modified / integrated "tabed Lister" function

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Wanted: new / modified / integrated "tabed Lister" function

Post by *Peter »

The plugin TLister displays all lister windows (F3) in one single window with tab.

https://totalcmd.net/plugring/tlister.html

Great idea, but it has some bugs and is not maintained for some years.

So - wanted (I suppose there is a common interest behind this request):

a) Someone who maintains and fix the current version
or
b) Someone who creates a new / better / quicker / greater / more awesome / more fantastic plugin
or
c) someone special (@Ghisler :wink: ) who integrates a tab-function into TC

Would be fine if a plugin-dev sees a challenge here ..
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
Vingolf

Re: Wanted: new / modified / integrated "tabed Lister" function

Post by *Vingolf »

corporator wrote: 2019-10-17, 23:50 UTC I did some attempts to fix the plugin, and now it works on my setup: Windows 10 x64 1809, TC 9.22a (both x86 & x64).
You could download the plugin and source code here:
https://github.com/a-ilin/tLister/releases
Does tLister 2.1.0 has become a replacement for tLister 1.2.0 which is no longer maintained 🤔
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Tlister was a buggy plugin and if you read the comment in the link its still unusable in x64 windows.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
beb

Post by *beb »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-02-22, 16:26 UTC ...its still unusable in x64 windows.
Version from GitHub is usable for TC 64-bit/Win 64-bit; though the plugin is still buggy and its practical usage won't go much beyond testing purposes so far.
#278521 User License
Total Commander [always the latest version, including betas] x86/x64 on Win10 x64/Android 10
Helix751

Post by *Helix751 »

A tabbed interface in Lister is a must, imho. Given the available real-estate in modern computers, with many opened windows and programs, the usage of a file manager like TC, with 2 windows in 1 leads straightforward to a tabbed Lister that hosts open files for viewing, with or without plugins.

This should already be a built-in feature of TC and not work for a buggy and outdated, seemingly abandoned plugin.
Regards,
Sergio

TCmd license #12059
TC11.00x86/x64 | Win11 Pro
beb

Post by *beb »

2Helix751
I agree.
#278521 User License
Total Commander [always the latest version, including betas] x86/x64 on Win10 x64/Android 10
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

Helix751 wrote: 2024-03-07, 18:26 UTC A tabbed interface in Lister is a must, imho. Given the available real-estate in modern computers, with many opened windows and programs, the usage of a file manager like TC, with 2 windows in 1 leads straightforward to a tabbed Lister that hosts open files for viewing, with or without plugins.
You already have tab in TC, and you can open as many lister window as you want... If you want to tab them, you have some tools to do like cmder attaching as many windows as you want..
This has nothing to do with modern computer nor the ease of use but more a way to work keeping unnecessary windows opened, locking files, spending time trying to find where is the right window instead of just opening a new one when you need and close it just after.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Helix751 wrote: 2024-03-07, 18:26 UTC and not work for a buggy and outdated, seemingly abandoned plugin.
Up to 9 tabs on the TC x32 work fine, there are enough for my needs.
If Christian makes tabs for Lister, it will be great, of course.
nsp wrote: 2024-03-07, 20:48 UTCbut more a way to work keeping unnecessary windows opened, locking files, spending time trying to find where is the right window instead of just opening a new one when you need and close it just after.
😄 Do you also open one tab per session in browsers and all kinds of editors?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

😄 Do you also open one tab per session in browsers and all kinds of editors?
This is the same as TC, I have multiple tab and save tab settings. For editor, i use IDE so only one window, same for putty mobaxterm and virtual desktop....
About lister for me this is just unnecessary as if i want to quickly view i use quickview or for a limited time open a sticky Lister.
I always fight with new team member having tons of tab in browser switching from personal to professional one and never focused to one task at the time and responding to private message on phone... I'm from the past century and even started computer with punched card waiting for a day before having compilation result/log.... (It was already past techno but at University, this was a learning challenge to write code that compile and work directly in your head and being optimised to fit in just few hundreds of Octets.... Instead of using compiller ans hitting check and compile like an epileptic).
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

nsp wrote: 2024-03-09, 06:54 UTCFor editor, i use IDE so only one window
Well, IDE is only for development, but for everything else (editing docs/tables/databases/books/photos/media/etc)?
About lister for me this is just unnecessary as if i want to quickly view i use quickview or for a limited time open a sticky Lister.
What is sticky Lister?
Lister can be used for both reading and editing. And if it gives the same capability as a standalone program, then why should it only be used for quick viewing? I read documents, books, manuals in Lister, look through databases and tables, edit ini files, so I often don't have to talk about a quick view. And nothing prevents you from listening to music or an audiobook at the same time as reading a book through Lister. I do that a lot. And all in one window, extra windows do not flash before your eyes and you do not have to press Alt+Tab/Esc several times to switch to the Lister window with an book open. This is called usability.
I always fight with new team member having tons of tab in browser switching from personal to professional one and never focused to one task at the time and responding to private message on phone...
You write as if the browser is used only for professional needs and only at work. But overwhelmingly this is not the case.
I'm from the past century
Well, this won't surprise anyone here. Maybe not everyone used punched cards, but many managed to work on *86 stones.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

What is sticky Lister?
It is a regular Lister windows i automatically sick on right of TC using power-pro. I'm also using lister for ini, images, sqlite dbs,...
You write as if the browser is used only for professional needs
About Browser, I've never said that you have to only use it at work. I just do not manage developer out of work and do not care how they use personal computer. I'm very focused on efficiency (at work) and when you start to search to much windows, file, this is bad and waste of time affecting productivity.
So back to lister, i prefer for lister to have windows more than tabs...
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

using power-pro
Now it's clear.
About Browser, I've never said that you have to only use it at work.
You have taken the workflow as a basis, ignoring the more popular approach.
and when you start to search to much windows, file, this is bad and waste of time affecting productivity.
So back to lister, i prefer for lister to have windows more than tabs...
I see a direct contradiction in these two theses. If you don't like a lot of windows, then obviously you should prefer tabs as a more compact option, where the taskbar is not clogged with a bunch of windows, and the number of Alt+Tab/Esc toggles is reduced, as I wrote above. Read the whole 3rd paragraph, maybe you didn't get the gist of the arguments.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

The contradiction could be to have 5 or 6 opened Lister windows at the time, it is not my case also tab takes space inside the lister.
But anyone can use TC or computer as he want just to say that whats seems common to some is not to others. In my case TC is a wonderful productivity tool, I use it for works (and i works a lot) Side to it, I use powerpro to add scripting, additional hotkey and TCBL to do specific conversions, cleaning,... from saved serch result.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

No one suggests replacing the current behavior with tabs. Obviously, we are talking about an optional solution. Therefore, it will not make anyone worse.
The fact that the tab takes up space in Lister is a weak argument. That's what it's a tab for, to occupy some place that can be identified and selected if necessary. It is important to understand that it is much more convenient to immediately go to the last file opened in Lister, rather than making a bunch of switches between windows.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
beb

Post by *beb »

nsp wrote: 2024-03-10, 18:09 UTC But anyone can use TC... as he wants...
Only those privileged ones can enjoy life for whom a good ol' windowed Lister is a one love.
Those pioneers who'd like to have a multitab Lister interface option are doomed to inhumanly suffer until the end of time (until the option becomes implemented).
Cheers.
Last edited by beb on 2024-03-10, 21:42 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#278521 User License