Show archive is opened by which plugin somewhere

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Show archive is opened by which plugin somewhere

Post by *AntonyD »

Probably the best way to fully discuss this thread is to move it to the "10.x bug reports" sub-forum.....
#146217 personal license
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Another but closely related thing:
Sometimes, TC hangs or simply shuts down when entering an archive. Though TC cannot be blamed for buggy plugins, it should at least show the name of the currently/last used plugin. This way, the user can see which plugin has caused the problem.

However:
1. If several packer plugins are tested for a file (one after the other), the currently tested one should always be visible in the UI.
--> The user can immediately see which one causes TC to hang.

2. If the plugin simply shuts down TC, the UI obviously disappears too fast to see anything.
--> Put the name of the lastly tried plugin into the log file, so the user can at least to a post-mortem check.

Please also check a related suggestion here: https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=76550
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC tries to catch exceptions in plugins and show the culprit. However, this isn't always possible, e.g. when a plugin completely damages the call stack.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-05-06, 14:00 UTC TC tries to catch exceptions in plugins and show the culprit. However, this isn't always possible, e.g. when a plugin completely damages the call stack.
The last sentence is exactly the point that could be solved by (1) displaying the plugin name *and* (2) putting some log before loading/using the plugin.
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Is there any news on this topic?
I just ran into this problem again with two files: TC 10.50rc1 simply stopped responding when entering these files with ctrl+pgdown. Unfortunately one cannot see which plugin is in use when this effect shows up. This is really unpleasant as it happens not that rarely...
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

AntonDudarenko wrote: 2022-04-23, 07:36 UTCRegarding your first idea - I think this places is not really suitable - because I can convert it into the editbox - from which I can copy the full path. And IF this element will now contain some additional info ...
This is a delusion. After using the filter by Ctrl+F12, the cm_EditPath call removes additional filtering information. It's not a problem to do the same here.
Only I would prefer to leave the path display on the left, and specify the plugin name on the right, similar to how it's done for quick view.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2Fla$her
I understand that if something is added somewhere by a person, it can then somehow be automatically removed;)
BUT I emphasized those fields and places for which the change would not require additional corrections AFTER implementing the new information display. So in this field AND you will also need to add new data AND make sure that you can remove it at the right time. The code can get complicated and the developer might not want to implement something like that at once.
Last edited by AntonyD on 2022-06-10, 17:12 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#146217 personal license
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2AntonDudarenko
I doubt anything will need to be removed at all. The function of reading current paths is not related to the function of reading headers of file panels. When we take a path through WM_COPYDATA, it is clearly not taken from the panel header. The same goes for %P/%T. And the same should apply to displaying the path in edit mode. Therefore, there will likely be no additional difficulties here.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Sorry for bringing this up again...

Is there any news on this topic?
I run into this problem more and more often: TC (10.52) simply stops responding when trying to enter some files with ctrl+pgdown.
Unfortunately one cannot see which plugin is in use when this happens.
This is really unpleasant and it would be extremely helpful to see the problematic packer somewhere...
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2funkymonk
One way (and the only way I see) to find the culprit is to disable packer plugins, especially ones that are associated with the files causing TC to hang when opening them.

The suggestion(s) discussed in this thread would show the packer somewhere after the archive has been opened, but from your description I guess you don't get this far. This leads me to believe that the suggestions - even if any of them was implemented - wouldn't help you.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Dalai wrote: 2023-04-25, 21:37 UTC 2funkymonk
One way (and the only way I see) to find the culprit is to disable packer plugins, especially ones that are associated with the files causing TC to hang when opening them.
Well, this is not an acceptable option for daily use...

My suggestions (also in *this* thread) are always about showing the packer plugin that will be tried next.
This way, the plugin that causes the problem would be visible when TC hangs.
(For me it would also be ok to see the plugin from a log file post-mortem -- that's still better than no information at all.)
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

My suggestions (also in *this* thread) are always about showing the packer plugin that will be tried next.
(For me it would also be ok to see the plugin from a log file post-mortem -- that's still better than no information at all.)
Support +++++++++++++++++
#146217 personal license
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

funkymonk wrote: 2023-04-26, 11:54 UTCWell, this is not an acceptable option for daily use...
But necessary once a plugin has been identified as unstable.
Showing this piece of information somewhere right before a plugin is used on an archive is fine. But this won't help if TC crashes (obviously) and it might not even help if TC hangs. It depends on how TC opens the archive. If TC's GUI is frozen ("Not responding"), you might not be able to see the information you need. However, it might be worth a try.
That's a really good idea. Support++.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Is there any news on the suggestion to display the packer plugin that will be tried next on an archive?
My TC hangs quite often when entering archives and I would really like to see the problematic plugin more easily.

Bump for next TC11 beta...
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

funkymonk wrote: 2023-06-28, 11:20 UTC Is there any news on the suggestion to display the packer plugin that will be tried next on an archive?
My TC hangs quite often when entering archives and I would really like to see the problematic plugin more easily.

Bump for next TC11 beta...
Just for interest, what packer plugins and formats do you have,
which crashes TC so often ?
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64