@Ghisler: Will there be a cursor in Lister?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

@Ghisler: Will there be a cursor in Lister?

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Please Christian, answer me! Pretty please! :oops: :shock:

http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=45485#45485
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, not in TC 6.5, other new functions had higher priority. You will have to use SynUS or hpg_ed or similar if you need a cursor...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Thanks for the answer! Is there a hope it will be implemented in the future? Lister is indispensable for me, because i often check large (1-2G) logfiles. No other standalone tool can match the speed and ease of Lister. Really the only problem is the lack of a cursor. Have you ever tried to copy a large part of a large file by using the mouse???!!! :twisted: :evil:
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, it's on my wish list, and I'm seriously considering it - but only as an option, to be activated via a hotkey and/or the menu.
Have you ever tried to copy a large part of a large file by using the mouse???!!!
Yes, it's not that difficult - you can even use the keyboard while selecting with the mouse, e.g. PageUp/Down and Home/End.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

Is it possible to add "copy on select" feature to Lister?
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2ghisler(Author)
Yes, it's on my wish list, and I'm seriously considering it - but only as an option, to be activated via a hotkey and/or the menu.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you this is exactly how I would like to have it! :-)
you can even use the keyboard while selecting with the mouse, e.g. PageUp/Down and Home/End.
No comment :twisted:
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

Raymond wrote:Is it possible to add "copy on select" feature to Lister?
I support this one.
nevidimka

Post by *nevidimka »

That would be nice. AFAIK there is a extra (and most-used ;)) key for such things - Scrl Lock. :D :P
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is a knowledge of our own ignorance. Benjamin Franklin
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

AFAIK there is a extra (and most-used ) key for such things - Scrl Lock
Sounds good, the only problem would be, that the ScrollLock is turned off by default, and Lister has it on now, and I guess that would be the default for Lister.
nevidimka

Post by *nevidimka »

2SanskritFritz
Hotkey ScrlLock could be activated via an option/menu entry - or so. Scroll lock has got its own status led - therefore there is no need for an additional status indicator (ok an active cursor indicates it anyway) :D :P
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is a knowledge of our own ignorance. Benjamin Franklin
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2nevidimka
What I meant is following:
Supposing we have the new version of TC with a cursor in Lister turned off by default. Now Lister is in ScrollLock mode already. So the ScrollLock led should be on. Turning the cursor on by pressing the ScrollLock key will turn off the led. This means, Christian would have to turn on the ScrollLock state programmatically when starting Lister (I suppose, mostly everyone has it turned off systemwide by default), and turn it off when returning to some other window.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

SanskritFritz wrote: This means, Christian would have to turn on the ScrollLock state programmatically when starting Lister (I suppose, mostly everyone has it turned off systemwide by default), and turn it off when returning to some other window.

This is not a big task. I did it sometimes with a friend of mine - I wrote a few lines Assembler and he built it into a Windows prog. IIRC it's only to wrtie a particular value to a particular address.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
nevidimka

Post by *nevidimka »

2SanskritFritz
Supposing we have the new version of TC with a cursor in Lister turned off by default.
Of course, default behaviour is the same like today - for compatibility reasons only.
Lister is in ScrollLock mode already. So the ScrollLock led should be on.
1st yes, 2nd it is not imperative.
I imagine Lister has 2 modes:
1st default mode like today without a cursor
2nd cursor mode and in this mode only Lister evaluates ScrlLock-state. This 2nd mode would be activated by an option/menu entry.
BTW: In the case of my person I would choose 2nd mode permanently.
This means, Christian would have to turn on the ScrollLock state programmatically when starting Lister (I suppose, mostly everyone has it turned off systemwide by default), and turn it off when returning to some other window.
I disagree. IMHO this should not be realized in this way: this is not the "standard behaviour" of any Lock-key. All Lock-keys (Caps/Shift-Lock, Num-Lock, Scrl-Lock) work systemwide - they are states of the keyboard and no states of a single program. Yes, this systemwide behaviour could be interpreted as a disadvantage. (IMHO the real disadvantage of ScrlLock-key is its location in keyboard layout).

However I will be happy if we have an optional cursor in standard lister - regardless of its activation.
Helix751

Post by *Helix751 »

It's a matter of assigning this function to the "C" key and voilà. It is intuitive and easy to implement.
Regards,
Sergio

TCmd license #12059
TC11.03x86/x64 | Win11 Pro
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »