Compile totalcmd with /DYNAMICBASE /guard:cf

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Compile totalcmd with /DYNAMICBASE /guard:cf

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's not a Lazarus bug: I'm using quite an old Lazarus version which still uses UTF-8 for text in dialogs. Newer versions seem to use UTF-16 for compatibility with newer Delphi versions. So far I have been unable to port TC to newer Lazarus versions because of this change and some others.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
arko

Post by *arko »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-04-19, 08:16 UTC So far I have been unable to port TC to newer Lazarus versions because of this change and some others.
If you don't mind me asking, have you ever played with an idea of collaboration between "Ghisler Software GmbH" and Lazarus/FP/Doublecmd community?

I understand that question might sound controversial, but perhaps there is something to gain for all parties involved:
  • Lazarus community has quite a number of developers with practical first-hand experience programming using FP/Delphi.
  • Doublecmd (currently developed mostly single-handedly by Alexander Koblov) has proven itself as the drop-in replacement for Total Commander under *nix and working in 99% of cases under Windows.
  • Your product is known as "the one", true and only. With an impressive history of stable releases spanning back for two decades (!) and proven reliability.
Maybe you could offer something to the parties mentioned in exchange for an assistance with the further development? Including the modernisation and future-proofing of the codebase, etc.
arko

Post by *arko »

As we are getting closer to the 2 year anniversary of this thread, I wonder if there was/is any progress with the Lazarus update, etc?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's unfortunately impossible. I tried to switch to a newer FPC compiler during the Total Commander 10.52 beta test. It took a lot of hours to make the program compatible. Unfortunately some people experienced access violations during program start which I could never reproduce or find the reason, so I had to revert to the old compiler:
09.06.22 Fixed: Returned to old Free Pascal (fpc) compiler 2.5.1 because some users experienced access violations at program start with newer compiler (64)
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com