Plese post here, it is a Hotmail test

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Thorz

Post by *Thorz »

Yeah, I was thinking the same, it is very stupid from their part. This is the first time that this happens with Hotmail, even small forums that I subscribe are not affected by these issues.
Lesmo16

Post by *Lesmo16 »

@icfu and deus-ex:
... late thanks for your help with WebDAV plugin - works fine now! :)

@Thorz:
As icfu wrote - come to GMX! No problems since years!
It's a POP3 account, which can be monitored with a tool like PopTray.
And finally, the access to the 1GB web space is really comfortable with the mentioned WebDAV plugin.
Everyone believing in telekinesis, raise my hand!
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

icfu wrote:GMX is one of the best email providers in Germany:
http://www.gmx.net
Very reliable, fast, 1GB storage capacity directly accessible from TC via WebDAV plugin.
I tried to sign up, but it requires a real german address. How can I fool the system?
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Quite simple, search german websites for one real address, look in the "Impressum".

Keep postal code, city and street and choose a different house number and name. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2icfu
Even this trick doesnt help, they are smarter than i thought. Looks like they even have the names and the addresses in their database :-(
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Looks like they even have the names and the addresses in their database
The only thing they have is cities with postal code and streets. Names can't be in their database because people permanently move to new addresses without informing the authorities...

Maybe the house number you have chosen is not existant in that street because it's too high or the address you tried was invalid.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Thorz

Post by *Thorz »

I will change the address in the forum settings for another of my acounts, maybe one of my gmail ones. This Hotmail account is really old and I manage with it all my web subscriptions then I cannot abbandone it.

Thanks for the help and ideas.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

2SanskritFritz than what about telefonbuch.de ;-)
Hoecker sie sind raus!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This bondedsender stuff looks really interesting, but I will probably not use it as long as it is used only by a few companies:
1. It it's quite expensive, $375 setup plus $500/year, that's more than I pay for web hosting...
2. There is a $20 fee per spam complaint. I'm on shared hosting, so if any of the other users starts to send spam, I would have to pay $20 per complaint, which could go into the millions of $$$.
3. Same problem when a security hole in the phpbb script code would allow spamming - and there have been very bad bugs in phpbb in the past, and I'm sure that there are even more. This would affect me even with a dedicated server...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
piranha

Post by *piranha »

ghisler(Author) wrote:2. There is a $20 fee per spam complaint. I'm on shared hosting, so if any of the other users starts to send spam, I would have to pay $20 per complaint, which could go into the millions of $$$.
You were planning to change the hosting to dedicated? And spam complaint<>spam complaint. If it's proven that user signed up for forum or services, it's not really UCE. It only depends on your hosting provider and the trust they put in you as a customer.
3. Same problem when a security hole in the phpbb script code would allow spamming - and there have been very bad bugs in phpbb in the past, and I'm sure that there are even more. This would affect me even with a dedicated server...
That again depends on solution used. Use properly tweaked mod_security + some additional protections and you are trouble free. Even new vulns discovered will not be a headache.

With Hotmail sending emails to Junk, it's quite easy. Add forum address to your addressbook and select level of protection you want, and it will be delivered to your inbox directly.
Gmail may be a solution, but again, if they tighten up their spam filter, or their users will begin reporting emails from the forum as spam, you will have the same situation. Gmail and hotmail uses "adaptive" filters based on the response of their users, so it's only a matter of time when someone reports forum emails as spam.
After all, computers crash, people die, relationships fall apart. The best we can do is breath and reboot.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

SanskritFritz wrote:2icfu
Even this trick doesnt help, they are smarter than i thought. Looks like they even have the names and the addresses in their database :-(
Hey partner,

they definitely do not know (or check) the names. I've got an account for R.Mustermann ( it's like Charles Anybody ;) )who definetely does not exist.

If you like I can email you a program (1,3 Mb) wich finds the valid ZIP-Code for a a street in each town in germany.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2Sheepdog
Thanks partner, but i have found many addresses, but now the problem is more general now. I managed to sign up, but it does not let me in now, maybe only german ip addresses are allowed, i dont know. Not so important, i have GMail anyway. I just was impressed by the webdav plugin, so i thought why not use it with free 1G. Thanks anyway.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

do you realize that you have to use the complete email address for login?

E.g Username: R.Mustermann@gmx.de
Password:xxxxxxxxx

It's different from other providers, because you may choose different extensions like gmx.de gmx.net etc.

sheepdog
Last edited by Sheepdog on 2005-04-23, 06:48 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Adams
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Yes, i even tried it with all low caps, etc.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

pls try above mentioned account.

sheepdog
Douglas Adams