Quick Search floating window, "Go to anything"

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

arko

Quick Search floating window, "Go to anything"

Post by *arko »

With the proliferation of the "one search to rule them all", it would be excellent to further support Voidtools Everything by adding the floating window a-la Windows Search, OSX application Alfred or Sublime Text "CTRL+P" tool.

Currently one has to launch Everything separately, perform search and then use custom mappings to get the desirable files back into TC.

How about a small input window that would pass user's input to "Everything", get the results back and immediately display them in one of the panels?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Quick Search floating window, "Go to anything"

Post by *Horst.Epp »

arko wrote: 2020-07-05, 02:14 UTC With the proliferation of the "one search to rule them all", it would be excellent to further support Voidtools Everything by adding the floating window a-la Windows Search, OSX application Alfred or Sublime Text "CTRL+P" tool.

Currently one has to launch Everything separately, perform search and then use custom mappings to get the desirable files back into TC.

How about a small input window that would pass user's input to "Everything", get the results back and immediately display them in one of the panels?
Thats not necessary using the Everything integration into the search of TC.
Also you can use the following AHK script from the Everything forums user NotNull
which allows to let TC jump to any file or location by an Everything search PopUp.
http://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31358#p31358
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

arko,
What a nice idea. A simple QuickFilter-like window where only Everything syntax is used and directly passed on to Everything which in turn returns the files with which to populate the file list (like Search results, but in real time).
Support++

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
arko

Post by *arko »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2020-07-05, 10:13 UTC Also you can use the following AHK script from the Everything forums user NotNull
I would rather not allow AHK on the system, it is a Pandora's box: dark, cold and lonely rabbit hole you can easily fall into.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

I think that the AHK-tool of NotNull can not be compared now as a reference to this proposal,
because he also wanted such a function at that time.
NotNull » 24.11.2019 16:35 - 'Everything-forum' wrote: https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=28874#p28874
... the (very optimstic) idea to integrate Everything in a file manager.
I would love to have a dual pane filemanager where one pane could be used to run Everything (including Search as you type).
I also support arko's proposal.
Support +++

EDIT: Link to post of NotNull added.
Last edited by tuska on 2020-07-05, 14:43 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
arko

Post by *arko »

tuska wrote: 2020-07-05, 12:16 UTC Support +++
Hacker wrote: 2020-07-05, 11:20 UTC Support++
Thank you! Created related topic at Voidtools: https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9173#p31950
arko

Post by *arko »

Got a reply at Voidtools. Summary: it is already implemented and IPC interface is exposed on their side. See the link above for details.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Here are suggestions on this topic:
1. Show the 'Everything' Search bar in a TC window - Picture *)
2. Show the 'Everything' Search bar in both TC windows - Picture *)

In my opinion it would be desirable that the window with the search results of 'Everything' in Total Commander(!)
then behaves the same way as after a TC search and button 'Feed to listbox'.

*) EDIT:
It would make more sense to have the 'Everything Bookmarks'-Icon to the left of the 'Everything' Search box in each case.
Last edited by tuska on 2020-10-08, 08:47 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

There is a cool new Everything search box for the Windows taskbar.
It allows you to see the results while you type.
https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4485#p32852
https://github.com/stnkl/EverythingToolbar/releases
If you have set the registry entry to open TC for dirs
you can switch to TC from the results.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
arko

Post by *arko »

tuska wrote: 2020-10-05, 13:55 UTC Here are suggestions on this topic:
1. Show the 'Everything' Search bar in a TC window - Picture
2. Show the 'Everything' Search bar in both TC windows - Picture

In my opinion it would be desirable that the window with the search results of 'Everything' in Total Commander(!)
then behaves the same way as after a TC search and button 'Feed to listbox'.
Sheer amount of buttons makes this look like a space-ship control panel :) Is this a mockup or you've got the "Everything" elements functional?
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

arko wrote: 2020-10-05, 22:45 UTC Sheer amount of buttons makes this look like a space-ship control panel :)
Well, I removed two rows of buttons (including submenus with buttons) from the picture,
so that the suggestion for the 'Everything' Search bar is still visible. :)
arko wrote: 2020-10-05, 22:45 UTC Is this a mockup or you've got the "Everything" elements functional?
This is a picture composition. :)

2Horst.Epp
I will answer you later...
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2020-10-05, 15:14 UTC There is a cool new Everything search box for the Windows taskbar.
It allows you to see the results while you type.
https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4485#p32852
https://github.com/stnkl/EverythingToolbar/releases
For the first time setup/installation (version 0.2.1) of this tool my knowledge is obviously not sufficient :roll: :? :
- 'Everything Toolbar' - menu item can be seen in the context menu
- After checking the box, the Windows Explorer icon appears in the taskbar and the tooltip "Deskband host for wpf" appears
- So I only get the function back from Windows Explorer when I click on "Close Window" in the context menu
- PC restart did not help
- I couldn't show the Everything Toolbar in the taskbar

At this point, the fun of a new tool stops for me even before it has started.
(Please refrain from suggestions/questions on this topic (installation) - maybe I will try again sometime later...)
EDIT on 8.10.2020 17:25: 'Everything' Toolbar - Release 0.2.3 fixes the installation problem ("Deskband host for wpf")!

Anyway, I very often start 'Everything' with the global shortcut Ctrl+F11 (defined by me in 'Everything') or simply by clicking
once on the 'Everything'-Icon in Systray and have everything available there (Filters, Bookmarks, Settings, Shortcuts, etc.!).
If I look at it from this point of view, the 'Everything' Toolbar might be "nice to have" but also needs space in the taskbar.
Horst.Epp wrote: 2020-10-05, 15:14 UTC If you have set the registry entry to open TC for dirs you can switch to TC from the results.
I tried this out successfully months ago out of interest.

However, I did not remember that from Windows Explorer I got MULTIPLE SEARCH RESULTS (e.g. several folders or files)
SIMULTANEOUSLY could have transferred to a TC window.

This suggestion aims to come up however with multiple search results from 'Everything'
to be able to continue working in Total Commander immediately and without detours.

Therefore, I cannot currently understand in which way the Everything Toolbar could solve this.

Windows 10 Pro (x64) Version 2004 (OS build 19041.546)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.4OGHz, 16 GB RAM
TC 9.51 x64/x86 | 'Everything'-Version 1.4.1.992 (x64)
arko

Post by *arko »

One year later... Any news on integrating the TC and Voidtools?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Why not use the checkbox "Everything" in Total Commander? It uses the Everything search directly.

You can also use the prefix ev: in the "Search for:" field to make a global search (all indexed drives).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

arko wrote: 2022-05-12, 06:38 UTC One year later... Any news on integrating the TC and Voidtools?
In the meantime, there is a very convenient way to transfer the search results from 'Everything' to Total Commander:
  1. Open Everything GUI results with TC LOADLIST - AutoHotkey (.AHK) SCRIPT and GUIDANCE, discussions
  2. Transfer 'Everything' GUI results to Total Commander - STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE, summary
After setting it up once, it is very easy to work with.

Example:
  1. Pressing the "Pause key" opens 'Everything' (Tools - Options... - Keyboard - Toggle window Hotkey: Pause).
    Enter your search ...
    Filters, bookmarks [custom views], etc., i.e. all the options available in Everything -> are available now(!).
    A window for Everything queries in Total Commander could not offer these possibilities.

2. Press self-defined [system-wide] shortcut(s) -OR- button(s) in TC --> Transfer the search result(s) to the desired TC window.

Windows 10 Pro (x64) Version 21H2 (OS build 19044.1706)
TC 10.50b5 x64/x86 | 'Everything' 1.5.0.1313a (x64)
Search queries: TC <=> 'Everything' | Troubleshooting
Switching from Everything 1.4 to 1.5