View does not remember windows position and size

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gquiring

View does not remember windows position and size

Post by *gquiring »

I am running Win 10 x64. When I view a file (lister) (F3) the window always pops up on the extreme right side of the monitor. If I drag the window and resize it, the next time I view a file it won't remember the position or size. It's the only one that does this. I am using 9.51.
Hacker

Re: View does not remember windows position and size

Post by *Hacker »

gquiring,
Lister - Options - Save position.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
gquiring

Post by *gquiring »

Ok, that was too easy. But why not follow the Windows standard and remember the last position and size?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

TC has always worked this way, saving window position only upon request.

Which "Windows standard" do you mean? A standard would be something that every application would hold up to. That's not the case, or in other words, there is no standard. Some applications save their position (e.g. upon exit), some of them don't. This also includes applications shipped with Windows. Notepad, WordPad, Explorer and MS Paint save their position but the (old) Calculator, CMD, PowerShell, MMC and many more don't.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2gquiring
If you mean "Windows Explorer standard", it remembers settings for last 400 folders (the number can be changed) and resets all those settings when running Windows in safe mode.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Usher,
If you mean "Windows Explorer standard", it remembers settings for last 400 folders
Well, the OP is talking about the window position. It seems you are referring to something different.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2Hacker
It's only your private opinion.
For me it's completely unclear, what windows we are talking about - internal windows created by Explorer for folders or windows created by other programs. However, IMHO, lister windows in TC are similar to folder windows in Explorer - they are internal and they all will be closed when you close the main program.

And Windows Explorer does remember window position, size (as in the thread Subject) and other settings (sort order, used-defined columns, view, etc.) for 400 folder windows.

On the other side, TC does remember only one size and position for lister window, though it would be very useful to keep different settings for different views/plugins used. AFAIK, when pressing F3, the only separate size is for MCI media player, but it can't be saved when changed.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
arberg

Post by *arberg »

gquiring wrote: 2020-07-24, 20:54 UTC I am running Win 10 x64. When I view a file (lister) (F3) the window always pops up on the extreme right side of the monitor. If I drag the window and resize it, the next time I view a file it won't remember the position or size. It's the only one that does this. I am using 9.51.
See 'fix' I found by deleting Lister position and avoiding saving lister position in the future:

viewtopic.php?t=75838

It might be helpful, if you respond to my issue with details regarding your monitor resolution.