Why TC does not detect active network connections?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

KLM613

Why TC does not detect active network connections?

Post by *KLM613 »

As title, I have a Samba share I automatically connect on Windows boot, but TC does not detect it as unit and every time I have set a different connection within the software. Why?
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Why TC does not detect active network connections?

Post by *sqa_wizard »

By chance you have started TC as administrator (you can see a "^" at the window title).
Windows does not show connections to an administrator which are defined as normal user and vice versa.
#5767 Personal license
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I guess that you're running TC as administrator. Start TC normally instead and the network connections will work as expected. This is NOT a TC issue but has to do with Windows and how the network connections are made, hence it affects every program that can properly be run as administrator. And no, Explorer can not be run as administrator, at least not by default.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
KLM613

Post by *KLM613 »

Thank you guys, yes, I run TC as admin, but I tested running it without that privilege and the issue happens anyway.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Well, does TC still show the "username^" in the window title? If so, it's running elevated, i.e. as administrator.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
KLM613

Post by *KLM613 »

Dalai wrote: 2020-11-23, 12:49 UTC Well, does TC still show the "username^" in the window title? If so, it's running elevated, i.e. as administrator.
No it doesn't.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Do the network drives appear in Explorer? How exactly do you map the drives at startup?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

KLM613

Post by *KLM613 »

Dalai wrote: 2020-11-23, 15:35 UTC Do the network drives appear in Explorer?
It does.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Dalai wrote: 2020-11-23, 15:35 UTC How exactly do you map the drives at startup?

2KLM613
... maybe as another user?

KLM613

Post by *KLM613 »

Stefan2 wrote: 2020-11-23, 22:15 UTC
Dalai wrote: 2020-11-23, 15:35 UTC How exactly do you map the drives at startup?

2KLM613
... maybe as another user?
No, there is a single user on this system.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I suggest to answer my question on how exactly the drives are mapped. If you use some kind of script or scheduled task, post its content (after removing sensitive data, if any), and maybe try with the Windows feature to automatically reconnect the drives at startup. If you use the latter, try a script to connect the drives. And most importantly: disconnect the drives and reconnect them manually, at least once.

What happens when you disconnect all network drives and map them in TC - do they appear in Explorer? Also, I suggest to try in Windows Safe Mode with Networking (I bet that it works there).

Furthermore, do you use some kind of sandbox or other emulation software to run TC in? Note that anti-virus software might come with such a feature.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

KLM613

Post by *KLM613 »

Dalai wrote: 2020-11-24, 10:58 UTC If you use some kind of script or scheduled task, post its content
I'm not doing anything like that, drive is manually mapped via "add network location" in the explorer contextual menu,
The address I use is \\machine_ip\resource_name
Dalai wrote: 2020-11-24, 10:58 UTC What happens when you disconnect all network drives and map them in TC - do they appear in Explorer?
Yes
Dalai wrote: 2020-11-24, 10:58 UTC Furthermore, do you use some kind of sandbox or other emulation software to run TC in?
No
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

KLM613 wrote: 2020-11-24, 15:44 UTCI'm not doing anything like that, drive is manually mapped via "add network location" in the explorer contextual menu,
The address I use is \\machine_ip\resource_name
Well, if you had said that from the beginning, everything would have been clear. These are NOT mapped network drives nor are they drives at all. That's why they're called network locations. And one doesn't have to do anything to make them reconnect at startup because they only reconnect when accessed for the first time after startup - unlike mapped network drives which reconnect immediately.

Sure, you didn't say anything about mapped network drives, but you didn't say anything to clear it up when other users used the terms "network drive" and "mapped" either. Misunderstandings are the logical result...

Anyway, what you most likely seek is shown in TC's \\Computer virtual folder which can be accessed via the drive list's "Computer (drive overview)" item, which can be opened with Ctrl+F1 or Ctrl+F2. This folder shows all drives as well as such network locations.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Phred

Post by *Phred »

I came across this thread when looking for a utility I once had that reported network connections; I can't find it right now, but that's incidental.

First, Dalai, I believe you're referring to Alt+F1 and Alt+F2 when you say we can access the drive list's via the "Computer (drive overview)" item.

I am curious about your saying that KLM613 is really referring to a 'network location', a network resource - not 'map a network drive'. Further, the option 'Add a network location' appears in the context menu only when examining the computer name in File Manager's, say, navigation panel.
A discovery for me, and an aid to other readers.

I notice, in passing, that in the Computer panel itself (on the right) the 'location' resource can be dismissed by a context menu choice of 'Delete', which is always extremely unnerving when working with our machines.
I can confirm that the local resource is only a shortcut, in spite of its not having a shortcut arrow symbol, and Delete merely removes it (a better word) from the schema.
Not a function of Total Commander, of course.
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Phred wrote: 2022-06-16, 03:00 UTCFirst, Dalai, I believe you're referring to Alt+F1 and Alt+F2 when you say we can access the drive list's via the "Computer (drive overview)" item.
Yes, of course. Better late than never to correct it, I guess :).
Further, the option 'Add a network location' appears in the context menu only when examining the computer name in File Manager's, say, navigation panel.
Yes, from what I understood, KLM613 used this context menu, too.
I notice, in passing, that in the Computer panel itself (on the right) the 'location' resource can be dismissed by a context menu choice of 'Delete', which is always extremely unnerving when working with our machines.
Only to reproduce a bug or something, I sometimes use this feature, and from that I know that they're shortcuts in "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts". So, "Delete" makes sense from a technical perspective.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence