Anyone interested in a Total Commander Wiki?

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyone interested in a Total Commander Wiki?

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The thread about useful tools for TC has already grown a lot (21 pages!), so it's quite hard to find a specific application, e.g. a good editor. I'm therefore considering to start a Total Commander Wiki. This is sort of a lexicon like www.wikipedia.org (in fact, it will use the same software), but only for Total Commander. I have already set it up, and beta testers can try it out. Everyone will have read access, but only forum users from this forum with user name and password will be able to write to it.

Now my question is: Would anyone here be interested to write pages in such a project? You could still recommend tools here, but a wiki would allow to categorize such messages much better, e.g. a category for editors, one for backup tools etc.

Unfortunately my beta testers haven't shown much interest in such a project at all, so I'm not sure whether this would be such a good idea...

What are your opinions? I can also start a poll if necessary.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
Unfortunately my beta testers haven't shown much interest in such a project at all, so I'm not sure whether this would be such a good idea...
Oh thanks a lot. Maybe you should hire some professional wiki writers, beta testers and whatever... :?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I meant that you and the other testers were not enthusiastic at all about the Wiki, just read the posts in the beta forum. The reactions were that this would certainly end in chaos and disaster.
professional wiki writers
This is a contradiction in itself, or have you ever seen any professional wikipedia writers? It would be a community project just like the forum here...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
gbo

Re: Anyone interested in a Total Commander Wiki?

Post by *gbo »

ghisler(Author) wrote: The thread about useful tools for TC has already grown a lot (21 pages!), so it's quite hard to find a specific application, e.g. a good editor
I am pretty sure everyone know that but just in case here is a small trick if you search something specific in a large thread you can click on the link 'Printable version' (upper right corner) and use Ctrl-f to find all occurrences (ex editor) into the thread.

Now concerning a Total Commander Wiki it could be useful but I am not sure people want to search/write at two places to find/propose a solution on the other hand what will have more synergie will be to integrate some kind of light wiki to phpBB forum IMHO (don't know if that exists)
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
With all due respect, WTF?!? I was the first one to comment on it, I said "Great!", I was the first one to edit it, enhance, and correct typos.

I admit, only one article has been added, but:
- not every beta tester has time for the wiki, let alone for betatesting and reading the forum (just consider the number of active beta forum members)
- there is little fun in editing the wiki not knowing if it ever goes public
- nobody knows what your expectations of the wiki are, eg what should be there and what not.

Only two users expressed their dismay at possible abuse / off-topic discussions / edit wars on the wiki, of which one later said it's sure worth a try nevertheless.

With "professional beta testers / wiki writers" Lefteous wanted to politely point out that we do everything we can for the good of TC on a voluntary basis, and we also have other things in life to do. For me it's for instance my exams in one week's time, Lefteous has his own duties and I am sure other betatesters do, too. Nevertheless, I am checking with my RSS reader for new posts on this and the beta forum every hour and respond whenever I think I can help.

You cannot expect for betatesters to immediately find spare time to lead an elaborate discussion about what to put onto the wiki and to implement the suggestions into it.

What I quoted above and the first paragraph of your second post were very disrespectful of the beta testers.

To make it clear, the wiki is a great idea, finally a FAQ everyone can edit. Not sure if it ends in chaos or not, it's definitely worth a try and the will to help is there, as there has always been.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

The Architect says:
"Everything is based on Chaos (Chaos-Theory)..."

Regards,
Agent deus-ex
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Hacker
Thank you for your statement. I fully agree :wink:
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@ghisler:
Don't ask, just put it online and wait for contributors...

But, follow the rules:
1. You don't have more rights than every other user.
2. The users are in complete control and can change the WIKI to their liking.
3. Users who deliberately destroy content are banned from the forum (and the WIKI).

In such a WIKI i would contribute because it would save a lot of time. Workarounds, scripts for AutoIt3, AHK, program proposals, tips&tricks, etc... can hopefully be found more easily than in the forum so posting the same stuff over and over again will not be needed anymore.

Icfu
This account is for sale
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Hacker wrote:To make it clear, the wiki is a great idea, finally a FAQ everyone can edit. Not sure if it ends in chaos or not, it's definitely worth a try and the will to help is there, as there has always been.
icfu wrote:@ghisler:
Don't ask, just put it online and wait for contributors...
(...)
In such a WIKI i would contribute because it would save a lot of time. Workarounds, scripts for AutoIt3, AHK, program proposals, tips&tricks, etc... can hopefully be found more easily than in the forum so posting the same stuff over and over again will not be needed anymore.
Just it. Let's try to do it... :-)
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

icfu,
1. You don't have more rights than every other user.
2. The users are in complete control and can change the WIKI to their liking.
This probably won't be quite possible, as some parts of the Wiki concern registration issues (eg price) and other sensitive things. These subjects are locked. Possibly they should be left out totally, I guess that's open for discussion.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I mean the content and the structure of the WIKI only, not the basic management necessities of course.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

icfu,
As I said, a part of the content is information about registration and pricing. These topics are locked and cannot be edited.

Roman
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Misunderstanding then, I thought with pricing and registration you have meant the WIKI itself, not TC.

I have to see the WIKI before I can tell if I can live with that locked info or not.

Why is the WIKI still closed? Open it so we know what we are talking about here.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Mh.. Leftous had opend allready one but it seems to be gone...
Hoecker sie sind raus!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

This is not Lefteous' WIKI but ghisler's, hence the discussion.

Icfu
This account is for sale