It's time for a new copy panel! Add information like speed, time, a graph...

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

deckard

Re: It's time for a new copy panel! Add information like speed, time, a graph...

Post by *deckard »

Marc23 wrote: 2023-04-08, 09:20 UTC TC is above all appreciated for its performance (I have been using it for 20 years this year), so displaying pretty stuff, yes, but please let it remain optional option for the users.

I would like to have instead a "no progress display" option, just a window that shows the current jobs (copy/move) is in progress with the possibility to pause/resume/cancel for each job.

:wink:
Good, nerdy point! :lol:
jinsight

Re: It's time for a new copy panel! Add information like speed, time, a graph...

Post by *jinsight »

Yes, it ought to remain an optional option for users on a continuum from only a few display items to more display items.
Last edited by jinsight on 2023-04-09, 19:00 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #1945
Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3930)
TC 11.00 x64 and x86, Everything 1.5.0.1366a x64, QAP 11.6.3.1 x64
jesped

Post by *jesped »

Marc23 wrote: 2023-04-08, 09:20 UTC ...so displaying pretty stuff, yes, but please let it remain optional option for the users.
It's not "pretty" but *useful* info. But I agree it should be an option.
Vasilich

Post by *Vasilich »

@ghisler
great enhancement for foreground copy/move progress dialog in v11!
Can we expect same information (at least copy speed, and maybe speed graph also) also in background transfer window?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It can be disabled via wincmd.ini:
[Configuration]
ShowProgressBarSpeed=0

2Vasilich
Currently it's not planned because the space is small, and I don't want to make these windows very large.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Vasilich

Post by *Vasilich »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-05-04, 15:13 UTCthe space is small, and I don't want to make these windows very large.
as i wrote in linked post (https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=74588), when copying many small files there is no chance to see copy/move speed. I can live without speed graph (though find it as a nice feature), but do not see copy speed hinders to understand whether transfer is going on normally or something wrong happened (antivirus woke up and decided to check every transferred file) and it needs some attention from my side. So maybe this information can be moved to its dedicated place instead of combining it with name of currently transferring file...
yong

Post by *yong »

The new copy speed information is quite useful, except that the text is too small to read. It is perhaps the smallest text in the entire TC.
Given the limited space available in the copy panel, I think it is better moved to the the same line as the copied file count/size, somewhere just above the cancel button, and have the same font size as the rest of the panel.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

except that the text is too small to read.
I agree.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will make the font a bit larger.
yong

Post by *yong »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-05-07, 10:26 UTC I will make the font a bit larger.
I think the maximum speed is better moved to right behind the current speed, and followed by the
remaining time, which should also have a label of its own, like this:

Code: Select all

Speed: 30.0MB/s, max: 70.0MB/s, time remaining 15 s
Or even better, use hh:mm:ss format for the time:

Code: Select all

Speed: 30.0MB/s, max: 70.0MB/s, time remaining 00:00:15
This way the maximum speed is freed from the limited space right of the progress bar and can have
the same font size as the rest of the panel, and it makes more sense since both speeds are displayed
together.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The maximum speed has been dropped, TC now only shows the current speed in both places.
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

2ghisler(Author)
Could you please consider adding time elapsed information, if possible?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I prefer to show time remaining.
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

I'm not suggesting the removal of the remaining time info, but enhancing it with including the elapsed time as well.
Either by displaying both times simultaneously or by implementing a switchable option with click, similar to the information displayed for files and size, whatever suits you more.

Such an addition would provide users with more comprehensive time-related information.
Thank you for considering this suggestion.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Don't know if I'm missing something but clicking on the remaining time information label toggles between time remaining and time elapsed, and it also switches from number of files copied to number of files remaining. This feature has been there for many years.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror