It's time for a new copy panel! Add information like speed, time, a graph...

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

solid
Power Member
Power Member

Re: It's time for a new copy panel! Add information like speed, time, a graph...

Post by *solid »

2Dalai
When clicking on the bottom info-line, it toggles between displaying files (size) copied and remaining. However, this action does not affect the top info-line, which shows the speed and time remaining.
Is there an option that I'm missing, which allows switching to display the elapsed time instead of the remaining time?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: It's time for a new copy panel! Add information like speed, time, a graph...

Post by *Dalai »

You're right. Sorry, I mixed up time remaining and file size :oops:. To summarize: the file size and number of files can be toggled currently.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

solid wrote: 2023-05-17, 19:47 UTC I'm not suggesting the removal of the remaining time info, but enhancing it with including the elapsed time as well.
Either by displaying both times simultaneously or by implementing a switchable option with click, similar to the information displayed for files and size, whatever suits you more.

Such an addition would provide users with more comprehensive time-related information.
Thank you for considering this suggestion.
Support+++++++++
#146217 personal license
relu84

Post by *relu84 »

I love the new speed graph in the progress bar. A few suggestions from me:

- the usual bar is shown and the new bar/graph pops up a second after starting the file operation. The bar visibly increases in height. Could the non-graph progress bar be made the same height as the graph one, to maybe ease the transition?

- copy/move speed next to the progress/graph seems redundant, because we already have something like this at the very top of the copy/move window. Perhaps we could stick to just one text speed indicator?

- I understand you don't want to make the copy/move window too big and the compact nature of TC is very welcome, but could you allow *some* resizing capability? User makes it taller - the graph becomes taller (and thus a tiny bit more detailed) while other elements stay in place, for example. You could hard code some limits so people do not resize these windows to absurd levels

- I like the progress+speed tooltip when hovering the graph!

- I'm also in a "time elapsed" text somewhere

- any ideas on how to make the bars feel "smoother", without impacting file operation performance? Maybe link the progress bars' update speed with display refresh rate? I'm not a programmer, I may be speaking complete nonsense here ;)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

1. I tried with the same height, but it looks ugly.

2. I showed the maximum of the bar before, but that seems to confuse people even more. I need SOME kind of indication what the bar actually shows...

3. Resizing would be very difficult because the dialog can show/hide so many parts of itself. I would have added it a long time ago if it were easy.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

2ghisler(Author)
2. You can display "0" (zero) in the bottom corner of the graph and the maximum value in the top corner. This approach will make it clear that these values represent the Y-axis for the bars. A small tick(s) can also be helpful as indicators.
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Some thoughts on the new copy progress dialog (which I like very much):
  1. For me, having 2 average copy speed indicators is great but it makes only sense if
    1. The one shows the "overall" average since the start of the copy process.
      --> Imho this should be the one at the top of the dialog.
    2. The other one shows the "recent" average for the last x seconds ("time window"). x can be fixed or even user-configurable.
      In any case, x should be indicated to the user (at least in the help if fixed).
      --> Imho this should be the one right of the overall progress bar.

(Background: What's the use of an average value if I don't know over which time period this average was computed?)
  2. Both average copy speed indicators should use the same unit.
    --> Maybe the unit can even be made switchable by clicking on it (B/s -> KB/s -> MB/s -> ...)?
    *If* switchable, then I would also support different units for the two values.
  3. For long copy operations (where I often leave my desk or put TC in background) I am sometimes still very much interested in how the average speed developed over time.
    Since the copy progress window closes automatically once the process is finished, I cannot get this information any longer.
    --> How about a checkbox "keep dialog open when finished"? Then, a Close button would simply show up at the end.
  4. The copy dialog (not the copy *progress* dialog!) has an "Options >>" button that expands the dialog.
    --> How about a similar "expansion" button for the copy progress dialog?
    The compact version could show only the "most relevant" information (more or less as it is at the moment).
    The expanded version could hold additional information and statistics.

This might be a trade-off between having an arbitrarily resizable dialog (which I understood to be difficult to implement according to @ghisler)
    and a fixed size dialog (which is often criticized by many users).
  5. I also support the idea of showing the min/max value for the overall progress bar (as suggested by *solid in the previous post).
    Sure, min is always 0 but imho those values would allow a quicker or more intuitive interpretation of the graph.
  6. Side note: The help is not very detailed about the copy progress dialog. This should certainly be improved once the work on the "new" dialog is finished for TC11.00 final.
Any opinions on those thoughts?
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

Are there really that many variable things in progress dialog? There's one progress bar that shows depending on whether there's one file or more, then I remember two styles of progress bars, what else am I missing?
Vasilich

Post by *Vasilich »

Please add transfer speed indication, as it is already done in copy/move dialog and in background copy window, to background transfer manager window! it is the only dialog that misses this information, and probably needs it more than other dialogs :/
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Support++ for improving the BTM.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.