About option -Always show hidden directory "AppData"-

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

About option -Always show hidden directory "AppData"-

Post by *wanderer »

History.txt wrote:12.02.21 Added: Always show hidden directory "AppData" in c:\Users\<user profile> even with hidden files disabled (32/64)
This seems to work fine only under the logged-in user's profile folder. Why not in other user folders though? Personally due to my work's nature, i login to different PCs via UNC paths, and in those, the AppData folder is also hidden and unfortunately not visible in TC. Could this option be expanded to include AppData under all user folders please? I think i understand most of the problems that may arise, but i believe such an option would be useful.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: About option -Always show hidden directory "AppData"-

Post by *petermad »

i login to different PCs via UNC paths, and in those, the AppData folder is also hidden and unfortunately not visible in TC
Why don't you just enable viewing hidden and system files in TC's Display configuration - I can see AppData folder for other users on other PC's in my Network when that is enabled.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Was thinking along those lines as well. Or just change into that directory when you know it's there, either per "cd" in TC's command line or appending the path in the path bar.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

What i do now is to "unhide" all AppData directories i want to work with (if i know it won't be a one-time thing). It's better this way because i don't like "Show hidden files" very much, most of them are unwanted. Since Christian though has added this wonderful option, i was wondering, "why not expand it?". That's why i made this request.

I know that it's easy and safe to find "%HOMEPATH%\AppData" and make it visible, but other folders will not be so easy and perhaps might raise some security issues, however i believe it would be useful.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

It would have sense to add the selectable option like this:
Show AppData dir even when hidden files are disabled
( ) never
(o) for current profile
(default setting)
( ) for all user profiles
or at least add such option to wincmd.ini
Desktop: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, TC 11.03(RC). Mobile: Pixel 5a, Android 14, TC 3.42b5
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is done only for not so advanced users who want to find their settings but can't because hidden/system files are disabled by default.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Marmes

Post by *Marmes »

I prefer also to see an option where I can decide whether to show "AppData" folder or not. Like it was before in 9.x version. Please add this option back
monstro

Post by *monstro »

I don't want to see this folder at all. Why was it made visible regardless of the "hidden" attribute? If its "hidden" it should be hidden, no? :)
If someone wants to make it visible for whatever reason, just remove the "hidden" attribute from the folder.
Marmes

Post by *Marmes »

monstro wrote: 2021-07-06, 23:20 UTC I don't want to see this folder at all. Why was it made visible regardless of the "hidden" attribute? If its "hidden" it should be hidden, no? :)
If someone wants to make it visible for whatever reason, just remove the "hidden" attribute from the folder.
I'm agree. There should be a choice to hide or make it visible.
Combinatix

Post by *Combinatix »

wanderer wrote: 2021-03-27, 12:32 UTC What i do now is to "unhide" all AppData directories i want to work with (if i know it won't be a one-time thing). It's better this way because i don't like "Show hidden files" very much, most of them are unwanted. Since Christian though has added this wonderful option, i was wondering, "why not expand it?". That's why i made this request.

I know that it's easy and safe to find "%HOMEPATH%\AppData" and make it visible, but other folders will not be so easy and perhaps might raise some security issues, however i believe it would be useful.
@Wanderer, you can do this already: Go to Configuration > Options > Display and tick Show hidden files, untick Show system files. There is no need to display AppData all the time. I personally hate this function, as it cannot be turned off.

Moderator message from: white » 2023-02-18, 12:37 UTC

Removed resizing of the entire text to 150%.
Please don't use resize for the sole purpose of drawing attention to the entire text.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Combinatix wrote: 2023-02-18, 11:53 UTC@Wanderer, you can do this already: Go to Configuration > Options > Display and tick Show hidden files, untick Show system files. There is no need to display AppData all the time. I personally hate this function, as it cannot be turned off.
Thanks, i already know that. The proposal was made for people like me, who do not wish to have Hidden files shown all the time. Also, manually removing Hidden attribute from folders is time-consuming, unnecessary for an admin and perhaps unwanted by the end-users.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯