Save search only record first 255 chars in search in field

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gbo

Save search only record first 255 chars in search in field

Post by *gbo »

When I save a search with a long [search in] field and load this previous search I only got the first 255 characters and lost the rest in [search in] field.

I guess this is a bug because if I edit wincmd.ini and manually enter the full paths (ex P:\projet1\infiles\doc_production; P:\projet1\infiles\graphics; P:\projet1\infiles\out;...) in SearchIn entry, it works fine and it loads everything (not only the first 255 chars).

Is it done this way on purpose, or can this be considered as a bug ?

PS I think that the search in field is passed to a variable that is limited to 255 characters when saved...

PPS I hope my post is clear enough
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, most variables and fields in TC are limited to 259 characters, the maximum possible ANSI path length. Passing longer paths to Win9x functions can even crash the system!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
gbo

Post by *gbo »

Sorry, most variables and fields in TC are limited to 259 characters, the maximum possible ANSI path length
Thanks for the reply, now I know why it truncated the [search in] after loading a [save previous].

Perhaps it could be put in the help in order to avoid the problem for other user?

The work around was to record two [save previous] with shorter path and to call them with TCscript macros.
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.