TC IrfanView Plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AkulaBig

Re: TC IrfanView Plugin

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-04-19, 10:04 UTC After a complete reinstallation I added this line below:
Didn't understand, the plugin stopped creating the detection string itself? Can you write in more detail why you manually prescribed the detection string?
tuska wrote: 2023-04-19, 10:04 UTC Quick View Panel Ctrl+Q on a .JPG file - Error message:
"I can't find i_view32.exe, i_view64.exe it by the path specified in the file irfanview.ini".
[*]Only then the "irfanview.ini" file is created - almost EMPTY, i.e. only with the [Options] section.
I see. I will fix it. I haven't checked the Quick View mode. I didn't think there might be an error.
AkulaBig wrote: 2023-04-19, 06:39 UTC +1, because this would make a much clearer distinction from the other .ini files.
Now it is no longer possible. We'll have to explain to people that the name of the ini file has changed.
AkulaBig wrote: 2023-04-19, 06:39 UTC Version 1.8.2:
* all IrfanView hotkeys work.
I am not quite clear what is meant here.
It means that you can use IrfanView hotkeys. For example, scroll through files with arrows, space and Backspace.
tuska wrote: 2023-04-19, 10:04 UTC It would probably be very helpful, especially for new users, if this line were added here:
A double click in Total Commander(!) on the .7z file starts the plug-in installation.
This is a TC functionality, it has nothing to do with the plugin. I think this description will be superfluous in the description of the plugin.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-04-19, 10:04 UTC The file "irfanview.ini" was NOT created during installation in: %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\
Quick View Panel Ctrl+Q on a .JPG file - Error message:
"I can't find i_view32.exe, i_view64.exe it by the path specified in the file irfanview.ini".
Only then the "irfanview.ini" file is created - almost EMPTY, i.e. only with the [Options] section.
Hmm, I quickly checked your remark. Everything works fine for me. Try enabling QV again if irfanview.ini is missing.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-04-19, 10:04 UTC Quick View Panel Ctrl+Q on a .JPG file - Error message:
[*]Only then the "irfanview.ini" file is created - almost EMPTY, i.e. only with the [Options] section.
Translation difficulties. I understand what you're writing about. It's just that such an irfanview.ini is created not only in QuickView, but also by F3. Everything is right. The new irfanview.ini is created empty, with only the section name [Options]. The readme says that in this case Irfan is searched in the subfolders IrfanView, IrfanView64 of the plugin itself.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Here is my detailed description of how I came to the result.
Plugin-Deinstallation
  1. wincmd.ini - [ListerPlugins] - e.g. 6=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView.wlx
    Make a backup of line ... 6_detect="MULTIMEDIA & ext="123"|ext="3FR"|...|ext="ZIP""
    BEFORE uninstalling, reinstalling or if an upgrade overwrites your own settings.
  2. Configuration > Options... > Plugins > Lister plugins (.WLX): Configure
  3. Cursor on: %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView.wlx    MULTIMEDIA & ext="123"|ext="3FR"|...
  4. Click on Button "Remove", then on "OK", "OK"
  5. wincmd.ini - [ListerPlugins] > These lines were removed on my PC:

Code: Select all

6=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView.wlx
    6_detect="MULTIMEDIA & ext="123"|ext="3FR"|...|ext="ZIP""
  6. Configuration > Options... > Edit/View > Configure internal viewer... > Tab "Multimedia" ... untouched, e.g.
    Define view method by file type... as a new installation is carried out afterwards.
  7. Contents of folder "%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\" deleted with the exception of the "Downloads" folder.
  8. TC restarted
Plugin-Installation
EDITED on 19.4.2023 19:30
  1. Start the plug-in installation by double-clicking on this file in Total Commander:
    "%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\Downloads\wlx_TCIrfanView_1.8.2.7z"
    (= on my PC (TC portable): ... C:\totalcmd\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\Downloads\wlx_TCIrfanView_1.8.2.7z)
  2. Click on button "Yes"
  3. Install to: %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView > OK
  4. Configuration > Options... > Plugins > Lister plugins (.WLX): Configure >
  5. Lister plugins: %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView.wlx ... is ADDED HERE AS THE LAST PLUGIN
    => WITHOUT(!) MULTIMEDIA & ext= <= ...
  6. ATTENTION: In order for the line ".._detect="MULTIMEDIA & (EXT=..." to be created AUTOMATICALLY in the file "wincmd.ini"
    in the section [ListerPlugins], the plugin must be executed IMMEDIATELY, i.e. F3 or Ctrl+Q must be pressed for the image preview.
    If you first move the plugin "%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView.wlx" under Lister-Plugins (.WLX): Configure
    to the desired position on top, then the line ".._detect="MULTIMEDIA & (EXT=..." will no longer be generated automatically!
    Click on "OK", "OK". --- F3 e.g. on a JPG file...
  7. The plug-ins are processed from top to bottom:
    Move this entry to the desired position with the up/down arrow keys located to the left of the "Add" button.
    (they are extremely difficult to see in dark mode).
  8. If I count my entries in the list of plug-ins from top to bottom, my entry is located in 7th place:
    %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView.wlx
  9. Click on "OK"
  10. Open the file wincmd.ini in your Texteditor or with: Menu "Configuration" > Change Settings Files Directly...
  11. In the section "[ListerPlugins]" the line 6=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView.wlx has been inserted.
    (and NOT: 7=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView.wlx).
  12. In the file "wincmd.ini" in the section [ListerPlugins] these two lines should now be present:

6=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView.wlx
    6_detect="MULTIMEDIA & (EXT=...
  13. The line beginning with 6_detect= does not exist and CAN be added MANUALLY if the order of the plug-ins was changed
    IMMEDIATELY during the plug-in installation, WITHOUT the plug-in being used by pressing F3 or Ctrl+Q, e.g. for a preview of a JPG file.
    (hence the note above, that you should save this line BEFORE uninstalling, reinstalling or if an upgrade overwrites your own settings).
  14. F3 or Ctrl+Q on JPG file brings an error message and only then the file irfanview.ini is created!
    Only then the PATHS can be added to this file -> -> %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\irfanview.ini
    Example:

[Options]
    path64=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Tools\IrfanView-portable-64bit\IrfanView\i_view64.exe
    path=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Tools\IrfanView-portable\IrfanView\i_view32.exe
  15. Alternatively, according to the file "Readme.txt" - even without the existence of the file "irfanview.ini" -
    the plug-in installation can be set up successfully if you copy the .EXE files of IrfanView into these folders, e.g.
    (Example: c:\totalcmd ... corresponds to %COMMANDER_PATH% for me).

C:\totalcmd\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView\i_view32.exe
    C:\totalcmd\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView64\i_view64.exe
    (In this case leave the almost empty file %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\irfanview.ini - if present - untouched).
AkulaBig wrote: 2023-04-19, 10:47 UTC Everything works fine for me. Try enabling QV again if irfanview.ini is missing.
So in your opinion, after installing a plug-in, it is necessary to first click away an error message
to see an almost empty plugin settings file?
AkulaBig wrote: 2023-04-19, 10:39 UTC Version 1.8.2:
* all IrfanView hotkeys work.
It means that you can use IrfanView hotkeys. For example, scroll through files with arrows, space and Backspace.
"all IrfanView hotkeys work" seems a bit exaggerated to me here.
Even with F3 - IrfanView, the "F" key does nothing (but the magnifying glass with +/- does).
AkulaBig wrote: 2023-04-19, 10:39 UTC
tuska wrote: 2023-04-19, 10:04 UTC It would probably be very helpful, especially for new users, if this line were added here:
A double click in Total Commander(!) on the .7z file starts the plug-in installation.
This is a TC functionality, it has nothing to do with the plugin. I think this description will be superfluous in the description of the plugin.
Other plug-in authors did not find this description superfluous.
For me, it is one of the most essential description that is repeated over and over again in forum enquiries.
AkulaBig wrote: 2023-04-19, 12:21 UTC
Translation difficulties. I understand what you're writing about. It's just that such an irfanview.ini is created
not only in QuickView, but also by F3. Everything is right. The new irfanview.ini is created empty,
with only the section name [Options]. The readme says that in this case Irfan is searched in the subfolders IrfanView,
IrfanView64 of the plugin itself.
Yes, if the user himself copies the IrfanView (.exe) files into the plugin folder, then the preview works:
(In this case leave the almost empty file %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\irfanview.ini - if present - untouched).

Perhaps you can still somehow prevent the error message that may appear after the installation?

Thanks!
Last edited by tuska on 2023-04-19, 17:30 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2tuska
TC doesn't add the _detect line upon plugin installation. It's added when the plugin is first used. I know this is confusing, and I was puzzled at first while developing a content plugin (which also have _detect lines), but it's the way it is. There should be no need to add a _detect line manually.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Dalai wrote: 2023-04-19, 14:12 UTC 2tuska
TC doesn't add the _detect line upon plugin installation. It's added when the plugin is first used.
I know this is confusing, and I was puzzled at first while developing a content plugin (which also have _detect lines), but it's the way it is.
There should be no need to add a _detect line manually.

Regards
Dalai
Thank you for pointing this out.

This is currently NOT the case with the TC IrfanView plugin.
I.e. the line "6_detect="MULTIMEDIA & ext="123"|..." is not added here even after multiple plugin uses.

However, I have adjusted my "_detects", i.e. added more file extensions and would, if necessary
use my adjusted values again after a check.

EDIT:
For me it seems as if after the plugin installation where this entry is at the end of the lister plugins:
17=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView.wlx
(still without _detect="MULTIMEDIA) the plugin has to be executed IMMEDIATELY, so that _detect is added automatically.

If you move the plugin to the top first, e.g. 7th position and only execute it afterwards, _detect will not be automatically added here.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-04-19, 14:26 UTC This is currently NOT the case with the TC IrfanView plugin.
I.e. the line "6_detect="MULTIMEDIA & ext="123"|..." is not added here even after multiple plugin uses.
After the first use of the plugin, the detection string is added. This is how TC works.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-04-19, 13:36 UTC "all IrfanView hotkeys work" seems a bit exaggerated to me here.
Even with F3 - IrfanView, the "F" key does nothing (but the magnifying glass with +/- does).
Naturally, TC hotkeys have a higher priority.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-04-19, 13:36 UTC Yes, if the user himself copies the IrfanView (.exe) files into the plugin folder, then the preview works:

Perhaps you can still somehow prevent the error message that may appear after the installation?
All options for filling in irfanview.ini are described in the readme.
Naturally, if there is no irfanview.ini file, then it is created with default settings. Namely, an empty file with the [Options] section. In this case, IrfanView should be located in subfolders BEFORE viewing by F3, Ctrl+Q.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-04-19, 13:36 UTC F3 or Ctrl+Q on JPG file brings an error message and only then the file irfanview.ini is created!
Only then the paths can be added to this file.
You misunderstood. The error has nothing to do with creating irfanview.ini. The error tells you that it cannot find IrfanView in the default folders. Which are pointed to by the newly created irfanview.ini.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2AkulaBig
From my point of view, everything I know or have noticed has been said.
You can also leave everything as it is if you want to.

PS: I have revised the item "Plugin installation" (spoiler) here.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

2AkulaBigIrfanView.wlx my 5 cents:

1) "the path to the file is displayed in the Lister header."
can you please change this to follow tc rules?
If have configurated my tc to show the Lister header as "Lister (<PLUGIN Name>) - [<path\filename>]"
and you just overwrite this for no reasons :-(

2) * all IrfanView hotkeys work.
But only kinda! :-(
F2 (rename a file) doesnt NOT work after I press F3 on an image,
BUT it works after you press Enter to show the picture in fullscreen.

4) the read me, part 1
in the readme you write "path 64=", for you and me its obvious that the
ini key itself is "path64=" but there ARE noobs out there so please get
rid of that space

5) the read me, part 2
please add your email into the readme, dont expect totalcmd.net etc to be
still around in 5 years so its nice to have a way to get in touch with an author

and dont be afraid to use more empty lines between the walls of text, thank you :-)

6) the ini name
as the plugin is called IrfanView.wlx* I am okay with the ini name being IrfanView.ini

HTH
Hoecker sie sind raus!
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-04-22, 02:25 UTC 2AkulaBigIrfanView.wlx my 5 cents:

1) "the path to the file is displayed in the Lister header."
can you please change this to follow tc rules?
If have configurated my tc to show the Lister header as "Lister (<PLUGIN Name>) - [<path\filename>]"
and you just overwrite this for no reasons :-(
If possible, I'll see what I can do about it.
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-04-22, 02:25 UTC 2) * all IrfanView hotkeys work.
But only kinda! :-(
F2 (rename a file) doesnt NOT work after I press F3 on an image,
BUT it works after you press Enter to show the picture in fullscreen.
TC hotkeys have priority.
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-04-22, 02:25 UTC 4) the read me, part 1
in the readme you write "path 64=", for you and me its obvious that the
ini key itself is "path64=" but there ARE noobs out there so please get
rid of that space
This is an error that the translator creates. Fixed it.
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-04-22, 02:25 UTC 5) the read me, part 2
please add your email into the readme, dont expect totalcmd.net etc to be
still around in 5 years so its nice to have a way to get in touch with an author
I think that a forum is quite enough for communication.
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-04-22, 02:25 UTC and dont be afraid to use more empty lines between the walls of text, thank you :-)
On the forum?
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Version 1.8.2:
* The irfanview.ini file is no longer overwritten when
the plugin is installed automatically. If it is missing, a new file with default
values is created. If the irfanview.ini file exists, the values are taken from
it.
* all IrfanView hotkeys work (TC hotkeys have priority).
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2AkulaBig

I suggest that you add the file "irfanview.sample.ini" to the file "wlx_TCIrfanView_2.54.7z"
- which is contained in the file "wlx_TCIrfanView_1.8.2.7z" -
so that a smoother installation of the TC IrfanView Plugin 2.54
can took place than the one that was done here.
⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺
Normally, one does NOT come up with such a setting variant without this information (at least not me as a hobby user):

irfanview.ini
[Options]
path64=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView\i_view32.exe
DRP535 wrote: 2023-05-24, 07:37 UTC I am using TC x64 and Irfanview 32-bit.
⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺
For example, irfanview.ini could also look like this:
[Options]
path64=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Tools\IrfanView-portable-64bit\IrfanView\i_view64.exe
path=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Tools\IrfanView-portable\IrfanView\i_view32.exe