TC IrfanView Plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Klaus20

Re: TC IrfanView Plugin

Post by *Klaus20 »

Thank you very much for the answer, unfortunately it still doesn't work.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Klaus20 wrote: 2023-04-17, 12:34 UTC Thank you very much for the answer, unfortunately it still doesn't work.
Make sure that the paths you have added to the file "%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\irfanview.ini" are correct.

Try to install the plugin again by double-clicking on the file "wlx_TCIrfanView_1.8.1.7z" in Total Commander(!).
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Show us the content of your file
Your_path\TCIrfanView\irfanview.ini
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

1. Make sure you have installed Irfan View.
2. go to its folder
3. Put cursor on i_view32.exe file (or i_view64.exe for x64 version)
4. go to "Mark" menu and choose "Copy Names with Path to Clipboard" command
5. go to plugin folder, irfanview.ini file
6. paste copied pathnames respectively after equal signs for "path" and "path64" entries.
7. restart TC for sure.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Thanks to everyone who explained the procedure for installing the plugin while I was not on the forum. I'll repeat it again. The plugin installation process is described in detail in the readmi file. I repeat briefly: 1. IrfanView is downloaded separately and placed either in the default folder or in a folder convenient for you. 2. The path to IrfanView, if it is not in the default folder, must be written in the irfanview.ini file.

Readme.txt
--------------
Installation.
The plugin is installed by standard means of Total Commander.
Automatic installation is supported.
The IrfanView program https://www.irfanview.com / with all its plugins, put it
in any folder and write the path to it in the irfanview.ini file from the
plugin kit.
Copy the file from the i_view32.ini or i_view64.ini plugin package to the
folder with IrfanView, depending on the bit depth of IrfanView.
The plugin allows you to use IrfanView of both x86 and x64 bit sizes. Moreover,
they can be used with both Total Commander x86 and x64.
Depending on the bit depth of the running Total Commander and IrfanView, the
functionality of the plugin differs slightly.
The path to IrfanView is specified in the irfanview.ini file and must obey the
following rules:
1. Empty section [Options].
File i_view32.exe it is searched in the \IrfanView subfolder of the plugin.
File i_view64.exe it is searched in the \IrfanView64 subfolder of the plugin.
The files i_view32. ini, i_view 64.ini are always searched in the folder
specified in the IrfanView settings.
In this case, the entire functionality of the plugin works.
2. The variables path= and path 64= are filled in the [Options] section.
The path= variable contains the path to i_view32.exe or to i_view64.exe for
Total Commander x86.
The path 64= variable contains the path to i_view32.exe or to i_view64.exe for
Total Commander x64.
3. In the [Options] section, the path= or path 64= variable is filled in, and
one of the variables is empty or missing.
In this case, the path to i_view32.exe or to i_view64.exe it is taken either
from a variable or by default.
When setting the path to IrfanView, it is allowed to use variables of the type
%COMMANDER_PATH%.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2AkulaBig
It's not a good idea to ship a settings file that has the same name as the plugin settings file (irfanview.ini in case of this plugin). Keep in mind that TC's automatic plugin installation procedure extracts ALL files from the plugin archive upon plugin installation (except pluginst.inf), overwriting any existing files in the process. If the user chooses to use TC's automatic plugin installation again, e.g. in case of a plugin update, and a settings file is already there, the file gets overwritten.

Somewhere in the plugin developer guide it is stated that plugins might, upon plugin installation, create/copy a settings file if it doesn't exist already. Not sure if that also applies to the WLX developer guide.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

In addition what Dalai said, I even don't like the name of the plugins ini file irfanview.ini,
as this is the same name as one finds for irfanview itself.
For me the ini file of the plugin should be named like TCIrfanview.ini
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-04-18, 15:43 UTC[...] as this is the same name as one finds for irfanview itself.
Uh, no, it's not. IrfanView uses i_view32.ini or i_view64.ini - the same base name as its executable i_view32.exe or i_view64.exe, respectively.
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Dalai wrote: 2023-04-18, 16:02 UTC
Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-04-18, 15:43 UTC[...] as this is the same name as one finds for irfanview itself.
Uh, no, it's not. IrfanView uses i_view32.ini or i_view64.ini - the same base name as its executable i_view32.exe or i_view64.exe, respectively.
You are right, as almost :)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Dalai wrote: 2023-04-18, 14:45 UTC 2AkulaBig
If the user chooses to use TC's automatic plugin installation again, e.g. in case of a plugin update, and a settings file is already there, the file gets overwritten.
I don't like it myself, but Ghisler didn't provide an option in pluginst.inf not to overwrite existing files.
Dalai wrote: 2023-04-18, 14:45 UTC Somewhere in the plugin developer guide it is stated that plugins might, upon plugin installation, create/copy a settings file if it doesn't exist already. Not sure if that also applies to the WLX developer guide.
The pluginst.inf file is responsible for the automatic installation of plugins. The plugin author cannot program this in the plugin code.

All
Can someone tell me how to solve this problem.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-04-18, 16:12 UTC You are right, as almost :)
Yes, the names of the plugin's ini files and IrfanView are different.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

AkulaBig wrote: 2023-04-18, 19:59 UTCThe plugin author cannot program this in the plugin code.
Yes, you can. And I see several ways to do it:
  • When the plugin is loaded, test for the existence of irfanview.ini. If it doesn't exist, create it with some default values.
  • Ship a settings file with a different name, e.g. irfanview_default.ini or irfanview.sample.ini or similar and copy that file to irfanview.ini (if it doesn't exist) upon loading the plugin.
  • You can also leave it up to the user to copy the sample file to irfanview.ini (like I do in all of my plugins), but that might not be suitable in your case.
  • Assume default values for the settings in your settings file if the file doesn't exist. Again, this might not be suitable in your case.
IIRC the first two options have been suggested in the plugin developer guide or the forum, can't remember exactly.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Dalai wrote: 2023-04-18, 20:18 UTC
  • Ship a settings file with a different name, e.g. irfanview_default.ini or irfanview.sample.ini or similar and copy that file to irfanview.ini (if it doesn't exist) upon loading the plugin.
IIRC the first two options have been suggested in the plugin developer guide or the forum, can't remember exactly.
I think this is the only acceptable way that does not create confusion.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

A new version of the plugin has been released:
Version 1.8.2:
* The irfanview.ini file is no longer overwritten when
the plugin is installed automatically. If it is missing, a new file with default
values is created. If the irfanview.ini file exists, the values are taken from
it.
* all IrfanView hotkeys work.

Not working yet totalcmd.net , the plugin can be downloaded from the link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UqpdiT_cmoC4VNfp9G2IfLDYnfiTgf_R/view?usp=share_link
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Thank you for the new version!

Here are my test results:
  1. Double-click installation - upgrade - will NOT(!) overwrite this file anymore: %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\irfanview.ini  :)
  2. Complete new installation
    1. Remark only:

Code: Select all

[ListerPlugins]
      6=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView.wlx
      After a complete reinstallation I added this line below [save this line beforehand if necessary]:

Code: Select all

6_detect="MULTIMEDIA & ext="123"|ext="3FR"|ext="3GP"|ext="AAC"|ext="AI"|ext="AIF"|ext="AMR"|ext="ANI"|ext="ARW"|ext="ASF"|ext="ASX"|ext="AU"|ext="AVI"|ext="AVIF"|ext="BIF"|ext="BMP"|ext="CAM"|ext="CBR"|ext="CBZ"|ext="CDR"|ext="CGM"|ext="CR2"|ext="CR3"|ext="CRW"|ext="CSV"|ext="CUR"|ext="DB"|ext="DCM"|ext="DCR"|ext="DCX"|ext="DDS"|ext="DIB"|ext="DJVU"|ext="DNG"|ext="DOC"|ext="DOCX"|ext="DRW"|ext="DWG"|ext="DXF"|ext="ECW"|ext="EMF"|ext="EML"|ext="EPS"|ext="EPUB"|ext="ERF"|ext="EXR"|ext="FLV"|ext="G3"|ext="GIF"|ext="HDP"|ext="HDR"|ext="HEIC"|ext="HEIF"|ext="HTM"|ext="HTML"|ext="ICL"|ext="ICO"|ext="ICS"|ext="IFF"|ext="IMA"|ext="IMG"|ext="IW44"|ext="J2K"|ext="JFIF"|ext="JP2"|ext="JPC"|ext="JPE"|ext="JPEG"|ext="JPF"|ext="JPG"|ext="JPM"|ext="JLS"|ext="JNG"|ext="JS"|ext="JSON"|ext="JXR"|ext="KDC"|ext="LBM"|ext="M2T"|ext="M2TS"|ext="M4A"|ext="M4V"|ext="MEF"|ext="MD"|ext="MDB"|ext="MDC"|ext="MID"|ext="MKV"|ext="MNG"|ext="MOS"|ext="MOV"|ext="MP3"|ext="MP4"|ext="MPE"|ext="MPG"|ext="MPEG"|ext="MPO"|ext="MPP"|ext="MRW"|ext="MSG"|ext="MSK"|ext="MSP"|ext="MTS"|ext="NEF"|ext="NRW"|ext="OFR"|ext="OGG"|ext="ORF"|ext="PBM"|ext="PCD"|ext="PCT"|ext="PCX"|ext="PDF"|ext="PEF"|ext="PGM"|ext="PIC"|ext="PNG"|ext="PPM"|ext="PPT"|ext="PPTX"|ext="PRZ"|ext="PS"|ext="PS1"|ext="PSB"|ext="PSD"|ext="PSP"|ext="PST"|ext="PUB"|ext="QPW"|ext="QT"|ext="RA"|ext="RAF"|ext="RAM"|ext="RAS"|ext="RAW"|ext="RGB"|ext="RLE"|ext="RM"|ext="RMI"|ext="RTF"|ext="RW2"|ext="RWL"|ext="SDW"|ext="SFF"|ext="SGI"|ext="SHW"|ext="SID"|ext="SND"|ext="SQLITE"|ext="SR2"|ext="SRF"|ext="SRW"|ext="STL"|ext="SUN"|ext="SVG"|ext="SWF"|ext="TGA"|ext="TIF"|ext="TIFF"|ext="TS"|ext="TTF"|ext="TXT"|ext="UUE"|ext="VOB"|ext="VSD"|ext="WAV"|ext="WBMP"|ext="WDP"|ext="WEBM"|ext="WEBP"|ext="WMA"|ext="WMF"|ext="WMP"|ext="WMV"|ext="WMX"|ext="WPD"|ext="WPG"|ext="X3F"|ext="XBM"|ext="XCF"|ext="XLS"|ext="XLSM"|ext="XLSX"|ext="XML"|ext="XPM"|ext="XPS"|ext="XYS"|ext="ZIP""
    2. The file "irfanview.ini" was NOT created during installation in: %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\
      Quick View Panel Ctrl+Q on a .JPG file - Error message:
      "I can't find i_view32.exe, i_view64.exe it by the path specified in the file irfanview.ini".
    3. Only then the "irfanview.ini" file is created - almost EMPTY, i.e. only with the [Options] section.
AkulaBig wrote: 2023-04-19, 06:39 UTC Version 1.8.2:
* all IrfanView hotkeys work.
I am not quite clear what is meant here.
The most important key for me -> F, which reduces the image in the preview or enlarges it again when pressed several times
(as in the Photoviewer plug-in, for example), does not change the display here.
Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-04-18, 15:43 UTC For me the ini file of the plugin should be named like TCIrfanview.ini
+1, because this would make a much clearer distinction from the other .ini files.

Suggestion:
Readme.txt wrote:Installation.
The plugin is installed by standard means of Total Commander.
Automatic installation is supported.
It would probably be very helpful, especially for new users, if this line were added here:
A double click in Total Commander(!) on the .7z file starts the plug-in installation.