Different font, while using same TC but on different laptops

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mentosan

Different font, while using same TC but on different laptops

Post by *mentosan »

Hello,

I am running the same copy of TC from USB stick, on two different laptops with Win 10. On one laptop the fonts are not bolded, but on the other laptop the fonts are nice showing in bold characters. Why is this difference, and how can I use the same bold font on both laptops ?

Thanks
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Different font, while using same TC but on different laptops

Post by *petermad »

Maybe you have different settings for anti-aliasing (font smoothing) in the two Windows installations - fonts can look somewhat different with or without font smoothing.

You can make TC override the system's setting for anti-aliasing with the FontQuality parameter in the [Configuration] section of your wincmd.ini file:
Help wrote:FontQuality=0 Let the user set the font quality, e.g. to enabled antialiasing or ClearType even when it's disabled globally in Windows.
0:DEFAULT (as configured system-wide),
3:NONANTIALIASED,
4:ANTIALIASED,
5:CLEARTYPE,
6:CLEARTYPE_NATURAL
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

mentosan,
When updating an older installation, it will retain the original bold font setting. If you install TC anew, it will use a non-bold font setting by default.
25.09.13 Release Total Commander 8.50 public beta 4 (32/64)
25.09.13 Added: Windows Vista or newer: Use "Segoe UI Semibold" as new default main window and list font if available (32/64)
HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Hacker
mentosan wrote:I am running the same copy of TC from USB stick
It is the same TC that behaves differently with two different Windows' for mentosan - so unless mentosan is using local settings on the harddisk instead of the same wincmd.ini on the USB stick, there shouldn't be a difference.

2mentosan: do you have UseIniInProgramDir=7 in the [Configuration] section of your wincmd.ini on the USB-drive?
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

petermad,
Indeed, I must have skipped that part. My apologies.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
mentosan

Post by *mentosan »

petermad wrote: 2021-10-08, 15:35 UTC do you have UseIniInProgramDir=7 in the [Configuration] section of your wincmd.ini on the USB-drive?
No, I don't have this parameter in wincmd.ini file

It is the same TC that behaves differently with two different Windows' for mentosan - so unless mentosan is using local settings on the harddisk instead of the same wincmd.ini on the USB stick, there shouldn't be a difference.
The thing is that on the laptop where the font is bolder and nicer (in my opinion), TC was installed a while ago, but now it is uninstalled. Now, on this laptop, I am running TC exclusively from the USB-drive, without any install. And I would like to have the same font on the other laptop where TC was never installed using a setup file.

Thanks
mentosan

Post by *mentosan »

Basically, I want this font whenever I run TC from USB-drive:

Image: https://mega.nz/file/1F8h2IqR#U2YlYh1p15EOKv60WsbT4EcL-PHgCBVlBILVyVSkQKY

Instead of this one:

Image: https://mega.nz/file/cZ0EGQiZ#svpRiMc4oHhhFAxobk_rix2LiCF_45ZswA5isltU7hM
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

mentosan wrote: 2021-10-09, 14:20 UTC
petermad wrote: 2021-10-08, 15:35 UTC do you have UseIniInProgramDir=7 in the [Configuration] section of your wincmd.ini on the USB-drive?
No, I don't have this parameter in wincmd.ini file
If you don't have that in your wincmd.ini file TC will use the wincmd.ini on the harddisk of the current laptop - usually located in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Ghisler\ - you can see which wincmd.ini file TC is using by clicking on Help -> About Total Commander.
mentosan wrote:TC was installed a while ago, but now it is uninstalled
TC's settings in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Ghisler\ is not removed when you uninstall TC.

If you want to run TC with the same settings from a USB-drive on all computers you can put UseIniInProgramDir=7 in the [Configuration] section of your wincmd.ini - you will have to configure your TC again from scratch or you can copy the wincmd.ini from C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Ghisler\ from one of your laptops. You should check that path's to your previous harddisk installation are not present in the wincmd.ini file.
License #524 (1994)
mentosan

Post by *mentosan »

UseIniInProgramDir=7 did the trick.

Thank you for clarification.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

mentosan wrote: 2021-10-10, 16:26 UTC UseIniInProgramDir=7 did the trick.

Thank you for clarification.
So no bug -> this topic should be moved.
License #524 (1994)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Moderator message from: "Hacker"

Moved to the English forum.