Open office files as diffrent user

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MickBjorn

Open office files as diffrent user

Post by *MickBjorn »

Most of the time I need to run totalcommander as Administrator but this causes some issues when trying to open office files. This because I'm using office 365 and my admin account does not have an licence. Is there any way to open files for example office files as another user then the one running TC? I have already tried cm_OpenAsUser but that does not work.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Open office files as diffrent user

Post by *Horst.Epp »

To open Office files you can add Lister plugins which don't needs any Office installation or license.
The best of this is ULister.
Btw. there is no real need to always run TC as administrator even for server admins.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Open office files as diffrent user

Post by *nsp »

My proposal is to have a regular TC with the connected user and the an 'elevated one' for some circumstance from a button forcing a new instance.

If you do not register your office for admin and use a run as or run advance ... word/excel/... you will only have access as the regular user have !

You can use runas, start process,... to launch office application but you will also have to use internal association to make it more friendly.

From admin, you can view file without activating Office. From Office, you can also sign in with your MS account in

Running as admin is for admin stuff