[Implemented] Make ignorelist work for AppData also when showing hidden files is off

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

[Implemented] Make ignorelist work for AppData also when showing hidden files is off

Post by *petermad »

Several people has complained aboult the new feature in TC 10.00 that makes the AppData folder visible, even if showing hidden files is disabled.

I tried to add the AppData folder to TC's ignore list, but the AppData folder is still shown when showing hidden files is disabled

I suggest that TC's ignore list should override the feature of always showing the AppData folder
Last edited by petermad on 2022-06-10, 23:22 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Hacker

Re: Make ignorelist work for AppData also when showing hidden files is off

Post by *Hacker »

Nah, abusing the ignore list for a workaround is not a good solution.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It is not really just meant as a workaround.

the History only mentions the feature of still showing of AppData when showing hidden files is disabled:
12.02.21 Added: Always show hidden directory "AppData" in c:\Users\<user profile> even with hidden files disabled (32/64)
So that the feature also overrides the ignore list and not just the hidden files setting is somewhat counterintuitive.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I agree that ignore list should allow hiding EVERYTHING, with no exceptions. Its description says about ignored files that "They will be neither displayed nor copied", with no footnotes.

Also I think that there should be an option to hide this special AppData folder.

And, it is quite strange that AppData folder has proper icon/timestamp with hidden files enabled but it looks just like a virtual item with no properties with hidden files disabled. It should always look like a real hidden folder (that it is).
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Me think, if "Show hidden files" is disabled, then even current users' AppData should not be visible.

Root cause here >> https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=74981
HISTORY.TXT: 12.02.21 Added: Always show hidden directory "AppData" in c:\Users\<user profile> even with hidden files disabled (32/64)

Me think it's not always good if a file manager is that smart, even if it helps user to access TCs' own settings files.

Better would be to help people in another way,
maybe in "Options > Display > [_] Show hidden files ,, [x] Always show AppData ,, [_] Show system files"

So on default the users' AppData is visible, but advanced user may disable that.

ShowHiddenAppData=0

Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

petermad wrote: 2021-10-20, 14:08 UTC
I tried to add the AppData folder to TC's ignore list, but the AppData folder is still shown when showing hidden files is disabled

I suggest that TC's ignore list should override the feature of always showing the AppData folder

>> https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=403755#p403755 :wink:

But that's the wrong way I think, why should I have an ignore list just for such an default thing which should be not there anyway.

oOoZEUSoOo

Post by *oOoZEUSoOo »

Hi Everybodies,
Better would be to help people in another way,
maybe in "Options > Display > [_] Show hidden files ,, [x] Always show AppData ,, [_] Show system files"
I totaly agree with the suggestion of Stefan2. It's the best suggestion for this issue.

By the way, if some users don't know how to access this folder or how to show hidden folders in explorer, that mean they are not advanced users and shoudn't have the opportunity, in my opinion, to modify something in that folder in the goal to prevent may be for an application or something to not working anymore.

Again, in my opinion, Mr Ghisler shouldn't have accept to ALWAYS show this folder because some users asked him. Many people ask him something and he knows how to say 'NO' when he wants it for some good reasons.

Best regards, Frederic.
Registered User. Total Commander : The best file manager...
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

Stefan2 wrote: 2021-10-21, 06:39 UTCBetter would be to help people in another way,
This is the best solution for this issue.

I really do not understand, why this big change in TC is made without an according Option. It is a must.

Do not touch ignorelist for this issue!

JOUBE
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I dont object to having an option for disabling the always-show-AppData-folder feature.

I just want to be sure that if I put a folder in the ignore list, the it is ignored no matter what.

As it is right now if I do have the show hidden files setting enabled and I have the AppData folder in the ignore list, then the AppData folder is ignored - but if I the disable showing hidden files, then the AppData folder is NOT ignored - that is highly counter intuitive to me.

So even if the always-show-AppData-folder feature is made an option in the future - then no matter whether it is enabled or not and no matter if show-hidden-files is enabled or not - then the ignore list should NEVER be overridden.
License #524 (1994)
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

It's easy: Do not touch ignorelist for this issue!

JOUBE
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

The main problem here is that this feature has been introduced without any discussion on forum, probably on mail requests only.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Gral wrote: 2021-10-21, 22:20 UTC The main problem here is that this feature has been introduced without any discussion on forum, probably on mail requests only.
That's really so. I believe there would be a lot of objections before this was implemented.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

history.txt wrote:28.06.21 Fixed: Couldn't hide AppData folder in user profile - now it can via ignore list entry: %USERPROFILE%\AppData (32/64)
Confirmed fixed in TC 10.50b1 :-)
history.txt wrote:22.10.21 Added: Option to not show hidden Appdata folder when hidden files are not displayed: wincmd.ini [Configuration] AlwaysShowAppdata=0 (32/64)
Confirmed working in TC 10.50b1 :-)
License #524 (1994)