Loss of items in dir menu (Ctrl+D) just by accident - please add option to prevent

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

roman.horvath

Loss of items in dir menu (Ctrl+D) just by accident - please add option to prevent

Post by *roman.horvath »

In the directory menu, the item before the last item changes from “Add current dir” to “Remove current dir” when one of the dirs within the menu is active. I cannot count the cases when this item was executed by accident – by some keypress or something; I am not sure how, but I am sure that I never did it intentionally; and I never needed it… The “Configure…” dialog is better for that (at least for me). (Recently it happened again, and I still don’t know how it is happening.)

At first, many years ago, I was not aware of that menu item change, and I didn’t realize what is happening(?) – why sometimes (time to time) one of the items “just disappear” from the menu. Then, after noticing it, I thought that I will be able to be careful, but I’m not, I cannot, I am not able to… – it happens by some key hit or something… Please, would it be possible at least add a question dialog “Do you really want to remove this item?” For me, the best solution would be to remove this item completely. The “Configure…” dialog for the dir menu has this option (removing items) and for me, this is just fine (better than losing items accidentally).

Thank you!
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Loss of items in dir menu (Ctrl+D) just by accident - please add option to prevent

Post by *Dalai »

It's very likely you pressed R because that is the shortcut to remove an item when TC shows a directory and the directory hotlist is open(ed).

You can disable this shortcut by editing the TC language file, it's item 1147="&Remove current dir". Be aware that changes to the existing language files are lost on TC updates, so it may be better to make a copy of the language files and use them instead - petermad made a post recently about the structure these filenames must have.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Loss of items in dir menu (Ctrl+D) just by accident - please add option to prevent

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Alternatively define an item with R as the hotkey, by putting & in front of the R. For example:
Link to c:\Program Files with title "Program files", change title to "P&rogram files" to use R as the hotkey. Then when you press R, the cursor just jumps between that entry and the "Remove" menu item.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2ghisler(Author)
What about my old suggestion to change hotkeys for those items by default as follows:
WCMD_ENG.LNG wrote: 1146="&+ Add current dir"
1147="&- Remove current dir"
1148="&* Configure..."
viewtopic.php?t=74658#p401845
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a nice idea, what do other users think? I must have missed your old suggestion, sorry.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
That's a nice idea, what do other users think?
Sure, support++.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Usher wrote: 2021-10-22, 11:29 UTC
1148="&* Configure..."

Support++

Saaru

Post by *Saaru »

Usher wrote: 2021-10-22, 11:29 UTC 2ghisler(Author)
What about my old suggestion to change hotkeys for those items by default as follows:
1148="&* Configure..."
viewtopic.php?t=74658#p401845
Support++

Additionally, I don't seem to have a "WCMD_ENG.LNG" file in "c:\Program Files\totalcmd\LANGUAGE\", only a "WCMD_ENG.MNU" file, so the only workaround I have is to define another DirMenu entry with an R hotkey (but that's suboptimal as I have to press Enter after pressing R).
Last edited by Saaru on 2022-01-18, 15:07 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Saaru
I don't seem to have a "WCMD_ENG.LNG" file
You can just make it yourself. The first line has to be:

Code: Select all

English
so a functioning file would be:

English
1146="&+ Add current dir"
1148="&* Configure..."
After that, you have to go into TC's Language setting and choose: "English (WCMD_ENG.LNG)" instead of "English".

You can also download the full WCMD_ENG.LNG here: http://ghisler.fileburst.com/languages/wcmd_eng.zip - and then change the appropiate lines to your need.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Saaru

Post by *Saaru »

petermad wrote: 2022-01-18, 14:14 UTC You can just make it yourself. The first line has to be:

English
so a functioning file would be:

English
1146="&+ Add current dir"
1148="&* Configure..."
After that, you have to go into TC's Language setting and choose: "English (WCMD_ENG.LNG)" instead of "English".

You can also download the full WCMD_ENG.LNG here: http://ghisler.fileburst.com/languages/wcmd_eng.zip - and then change the appropiate lines to your need.
Thank you for the quick and helpful reply!
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Usher wrote: 2021-10-22, 11:29 UTC 2ghisler(Author)
1148="&* Configure..."
https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=74658#p401845
2ghisler(Author)
It's still not implemented.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

support++
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem is that users may have defined entries which already use these hotkeys, so it would be annoying for them. :(
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

It's much more annoying to delete some menu item starting with some unexpected letter in translation. There should be the same delete hotkey in any language.
That's the same reason why most users don't want to redefine F8/Delete hotkeys.

Just do the change for beta tests, please, and we well see.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Usher wrote: 2022-04-23, 01:20 UTC It's much more annoying to delete some menu item starting with some unexpected letter in translation. There should be the same delete hotkey in any language.
I totally agree.
Usher wrote: 2022-04-23, 01:20 UTC Just do the change for beta tests, please, and we well see.
I also suggest to use beta versions to get feedback from the community on such changes.