TC 10.0 64b locking folders on Windows 11?

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

panrt

TC 10.0 64b locking folders on Windows 11?

Post by *panrt »

Hi,

Since installing Win 11 I'm having this issue with Total Commander randomly locking folders - sometimes when I browse data in some folder and then try to delete it, everything inside gets deleted except the folder itself and TC gives me error that it's in use (Explorer as well). But as soon as I close and re-open TC the folder gets unlocked and can be deleted.

I cannot reproduce this for now but it seems it has something to do with viewing images in lister/TC thumbnails since most of these folders had photos in them. Also this never happened to me in Win 10 even though I'm using TC every day.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC 10.0 64b locking folders on Windows 11?

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Working with Windows 11 since its official availabilty
but I never had locking problems.
Using lister plugins and view files there may be locks dependend of the plugins code.
I'm not aware of reports about such problems with Windows 11.
It runs stable here and after I installed StartAllBack all is fine with the start menu and the taskbar.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
panrt

Post by *panrt »

I don't have any plugins though, also it's strange that only the empty folder is being locked and not any files.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Often it is just a simple thing like:
- TC just has a tab open which sets the current working directory to this folder, may because you just looked at the files before.
- Windows Explorer has a window open at this folder
- the program you lately used to view files at this folder has set the current directory at this folder

Nothing special to Win 11 though.
#5767 Personal license
panrt

Post by *panrt »

sqa_wizard wrote: 2021-10-23, 17:56 UTC - TC just has a tab open which sets the current working directory to this folder, may because you just looked at the files before.
Every time this happened I had only 2 tabs and even if I switched to root in both it didn't help. Only reopening TC.
sqa_wizard wrote: 2021-10-23, 17:56 UTC - Windows Explorer has a window open at this folder
I almost never use Explorer and these folders were definitely not open elsewhere than TC.
sqa_wizard wrote: 2021-10-23, 17:56 UTC - the program you lately used to view files at this folder has set the current directory at this folder
Those were mostly backups etc. so I only opened them in TC.

It strange because I never had this issue on Win 10 and I used TC everyday for years. Now with Win 11 it happened like 5 times since I installed it. Could be coincidence or not, but it's really strange...
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

2panrt
Quick Search eXtended does it once in a while for folders. That's under Windows 10, however.
You can check what is locking a certain file / folder using LockHunter.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm not aware of any Windows 11 - specific problems causing this.

You can try the tool LockHunter, it will show you not only which app is causing the lock, but also which files cause it:
https://lockhunter.com/

For example, when I play a video with F3 and use LockHunter on the folder, it reports that TC is causing the lock, and that the currently played video file is open in that folder (which is responsible for the lock).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
panrt

Post by *panrt »

OK thanks, I'll try the LockHunter next time this happens and report back.

EDIT: It happened again, this time while I was browsing Google Drive cloud folder - I was looking at some images using lister/thumbnail view including images in archives and after that I wanted to rename the folder but got an error that it cannot be renamed because it hasn't been found.

So I opened LockHunter and according to it the file has been locked only by crashpad_handler.exe which is part of the Google Drive desktop app. But as soon as I closed Total Commander the file got unlocked and I could rename it. So it could be some issue with Google Drive desktop app, but it's strange that closing TC resolved it.

However previously it also happened on my secondary SSD on PC which is completely local and has nothing to do with Google Drive, hopefully I'll be able to reproduce it again and check with LockHunter again.
panrt

Post by *panrt »

So today a folder on my local disk got locked again and again it's crashpad_handler.exe from Google Drive desktop - however I don't sync that folder with GDrive at all so it's really weird, seems there is some conflict between Google Drive for Desktop and Total Commander.
d_vdlinden

Post by *d_vdlinden »

I suffer the same issue. Don't think it's a problem with TC. It's a problem with Google Drive desktop tool. I do not sync my folders either, except for one, so I do not understand why GDrive Desktop App keeps locking folders that are outside the sync-section.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

My guess is that you made a change to a file (date change may be sufficient) which caused an action by Google Drive. Since the change was in Total Commander, crashpad_handler.exe was launched from there, and only stopped when Total Commander was closed. I don't think that there is anything I can do to fix that. :(
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moderator message

Moved to "will not be changed"