Location of WINCMD.KEY

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

horsebadorties

Location of WINCMD.KEY

Post by *horsebadorties »

Is there an alternative location for WINCMD.KEY, other than the application's own directory?

I work at a company that locks down most of the C: drive. Working with my IT department, I managed to create a deployment package for Total Commander. It installs the program at the default location, "C:\Program Files\totalcmd\". But we don't have a site license, so we encourage users to license the software out-of-pocket or with departmental budgets.

Users who register the product have complained that they don't have write permissions to "C:\Program Files\totalcmd\", so they cannot put the license file there. Is there another location that will work? I've found that %APPDATA%\GHISLER\ works on a test machine. It does not work on my own desktop, perhaps because I installed Total Commander in a non-standard folder (I cannot advise other users to do so).

Thanks to anyone who can help with this! I've been a registered user since the days of Windows Commander, but have never needed to post here.
Registered User since 2001
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Location of WINCMD.KEY

Post by *Dalai »

The key can be read either from a file or from the registry. See TC help, section 4.b)

Code: Select all

KeyPath=
Path to the registration key (WITHOUT the file name!). As a default, Total Commander looks for the key in its own directory. Useful if key cannot be read over a LAN.
With KeyPath=$, TC looks for the key in the registry (binary value "key" in "Software/Ghisler/Total Commander" subkey).
Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hello and welcome to the community.

horsebadorties wrote: 2021-11-17, 16:09 UTC I managed to create a deployment package for Total Commander.
It installs the program at the default location, "C:\Program Files\totalcmd\".

Users who register the product have complained that they don't have write permissions to "C:\Program Files\totalcmd\",
so they cannot put the license file there. Is there another location that will work?

I've found that %APPDATA%\GHISLER\ works on a test machine.
It does not work on my own desktop, perhaps because I installed Total Commander in a non-standard folder (I cannot advise other users to do so).

Me thinks, on default, the key is searched where the WINCMD.INI is located too.
For INI location see Help menu > About

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC looks for the key:
1. In the directory set via keypath=directory
2. In the program directory
3. In the directory of the wincmd.ini
4. In the registry (even without keypath=$ when no key was found in steps 1..3)
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
horsebadorties

Post by *horsebadorties »

Thanks for the very helpful replies. I forgot to mention that we are still using TC version 9.21. Our installation package puts WINCMD.INI in %APPDATA%\GHISLER\. Our end-users have full permissions on that directory, so I'll advise them to put WINCMD.KEY there.
Registered User since 2001