is there a way to copy data between 2 ftp servers?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

giulia

is there a way to copy data between 2 ftp servers?

Post by *giulia »

Hi

I have tried filezilla and winscp but i haven't found a way to do it
I don't want to download from an ftp on my computer and after upload to another ftp servers
i would like to copy between them directly

can i use tc to copy data between 2 ftp servers?

thanks
love Total Commander , best file manager ever made
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: is there a way to copy data between 2 ftp servers?

Post by *Dalai »

If the transfer between the two servers isn't working for you, you'll probably have to download files from one server and then upload them to the other one. Direct transfer only works if the FTP servers are able to connect to each other, and both support FXP. Since this is a security concern, it's most likely disabled by default, or not available at all. You'll need to check on the server side if that feature is available, but it's not very likely that they do.

Anyway, maybe you can connect to one of the servers via some other protocol like SFTP. But the data is still transferred to and from your computer, so it won't help when it comes to bandwith.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
giulia

Post by *giulia »

Dalai wrote: 2021-11-20, 20:02 UTC If the transfer between the two servers isn't working for you, you'll probably have to download files from one server and then upload them to the other one. Direct transfer only works if the FTP servers are able to connect to each other, and both support FXP. Since this is a security concern, it's most likely disabled by default, or not available at all. You'll need to check on the server side if that feature is available, but it's not very likely that they do.

Anyway, maybe you can connect to one of the servers via some other protocol like SFTP. But the data is still transferred to and from your computer, so it won't help when it comes to bandwith.

Regards
Dalai
Hi Dalai
well there are lots of data ,i have tried to have on the left panel a ftp and on the right panel another ftp server
i guess it's the best way ,isn't it?
but i guess it's disabled by default , i will try to find if there is an option to enable it
thanks
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2giulia
You can only copy between two FTP-sites directly if the two servers support it (they usually don't)

But If you open two FTP sites in TC's file panels and press F5 to copy, there is an option in the "ftp" dialog "Copy via local PC (slow)" you can use.

I don't find it that slow, and it is much easier than first downloading all files and then uploading them again to the other server.

You need TC 9.50 or newer to see that option.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You can often enable FxP via FTP server settings. For a large transfer, it could really be beneficial to temporarily enable FxP, transfer the files, and then disable FxP again.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
giulia

Post by *giulia »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-11-22, 14:47 UTC You can often enable FxP via FTP server settings. For a large transfer, it could really be beneficial to temporarily enable FxP, transfer the files, and then disable FxP again.
hi
well good advise! :wink:
thanks