Total Commander on Mac with Wine / Crossover

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sylhuot

Total Commander on Mac with Wine / Crossover

Post by *sylhuot »

Hi!

I'm running Total Commander on Mac with Crossover.

I'd like to know if any have specific visual settings, within Total Commander (fonts or others) or Wine (Colors or MSSTYLE), for getting an optimal UI and visuals.

Thanks!
WatchUer

Re: Total Commander on Mac with Wine / Crossover

Post by *WatchUer »

Like to know either.

New MacBook Pro with M1 chip looks really good, run TC on it would be really great!
sylhuot

Post by *sylhuot »

It's definitively working on Mac M1 using Crossover. It's far from perfect, there are glitches, but it works.

It's very sad that no native version for Mac is existing and is planned. As mentioned on Total Commander website, there are alternatives on Mac, but they are not as functional as Total Commander and I would say not sufficient. Result: I got paying Crossover in order to have Total Commander Windows version running on Mac but I would have highly preferred to reward Christian Ghisler for a payment for a Mac version TC licence if it would exist.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

A huge chunk of functionality comes from the 100s of plugins, including my own like WebDAV and SFTP. Many of these have been abandoned decades ago - they just work and don't need any maintenance. But the porting to Mac would most certainly never happen. You can see this by the number of 64-bit plugins compared to 32-bit - only a fraction is available as 64-bit now even after so many years.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sylhuot

Post by *sylhuot »

Hi Christian!

Maybe I'm not using TC for same purpose as many, I don't know, but I'm using it without any plugins now (in the past I was using few of them, but I don't see need since several years). I would say that (in my perspective) the highest value of TC is not the external plugins but is TC by itself. It's a very useful software with a unique set of features. Even without possibility of any external plugins or any available, a Mac version would be a lot useful.

Every Mac clones of TC I seen, including those recommended on your website, fall short TC by a big margin. Missing important features, as synchronize, comparison, etc etc etc. The set of features I need is never complete.

I bought TC for Windows around 1995 I think, you never made paid for upgrades, what you do is outstanding and is a lot appreciated. A Mac version would represent a significant work and I would be ready and proud to pay a separate licence for the Mac version.

Benefits would be important, at least at UI level. Crossover makes it work, but integration on Mac is horrible and there's several problems. There's freezes, black display sometimes, diminished performances, hideous UI, slow UI display and strange display. Menu bar in the Window . . . in Mac it's normally located at the top of screen. Strange management of Crossover simulating drive letters to access Mac HD. Needs significant configuration, tries. Etc etc etc
Native2904

Post by *Native2904 »

Of course, there is no equivalent of TCMD on Mac but I have a good alternative with One Commander. I have many Commander Applications tried out on Mac, like Fork Lift, Pathfinder, Total Finder, muCommander or the Terminal Solutions like Ranger or MC, Nnn File manager and C-files. But in my opinion, One Commander came the nearest to TCMD on Mac. That's not what you ask for, but maybe an option.
I'm too only using Windows because of my TCMD.
#270101 Single user licence.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz | RAM 24GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M | iMac14,2 Bootcamp | Windows Pro 10 - Build 19042
sylhuot

Post by *sylhuot »

Commander One seems to have no synchronize function and no comparison function, which renders this tool useless for me. Interface is well designed, but it miss too many basic and essential functions.
sylhuot

Post by *sylhuot »

WatchUer wrote: 2021-12-08, 03:34 UTC Like to know either.

New MacBook Pro with M1 chip looks really good, run TC on it would be really great!
After search, it appeared to me that Double Commander is very near of Total Commander. Installation on Mac can be done through Homebrew.

Krusader would also probably been a good candidate, but installation didn't went well on my Macbook Pro M1 (either native or forcing through Rosetta).
truecolor

Post by *truecolor »

sylhuot wrote: 2021-12-09, 22:45 UTC Commander One seems to have no synchronize function and no comparison function, which renders this tool useless for me. Interface is well designed, but it miss too many basic and essential functions.
I am surprised that Commander One page is advertised with the following sentence "Approved by Christian Ghisler as Total Commander for Mac", even if elementary functions like multiple renaming are missing.

My brother relied on this sentence "Approved by Christian Ghisler as Total Commander for Mac" and bought the Commander One PRO Pack purchase. Now he is constantly annoyed by missing features.

I use Double Commander, it still has small problems, but with each version the program gets better. And very important, I haven't found any missing TC function yet. I currently use the version 1.0.0 alpha from 22.08.2021.
MBP Mid12 (MacOS 10.13.6)
TC 9.51 x64 (W10 / Parallels 11)
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

truecolor wrote: 2022-03-22, 08:00 UTC I am surprised that Commander One page is advertised with the following sentence "Approved by Christian Ghisler as Total Commander for Mac", even if elementary functions like multiple renaming are missing.
To me, it does seem like a misleading statement and also an abuse of a registered trademark to promote your own product. But let's wait what Christian has to say about it.
truecolor wrote: 2022-03-22, 08:00 UTC My brother relied on this sentence "Approved by Christian Ghisler as Total Commander for Mac" and bought the Commander One PRO Pack purchase. Now he is constantly annoyed by missing features.
Has he tried to get his money back because he feels misled?
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

See also this post and following posts:
viewtopic.php?p=301058#p301058