[date,dst] Incorect date column of files in zip, made in DST (summer time) and open in normal (winter) time

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

angel

[date,dst] Incorect date column of files in zip, made in DST (summer time) and open in normal (winter) time

Post by *angel »

1.Set the PC to 08:30, 18.AUGUST.2021 (to include DST, no matter in 99% of the cases in which timezone you are placed)
2.Create some text file
3.Open TC
4.zip the file
5.Close TC
6.Restore the PC time to the original = 08:30, 18.DECEMBER.2021
7.Open TC
8. in zip you will see that the date is automatic changed to 09:30, but must be 08:30

Note#1: "NTFS daylight saving corrections"->"Ignore 1 hour time delay" checked or uncheck doesn't matter!
Note#2: "NewTimeZoneMethod=0" or "NewTimeZoneMethod=1" or absent from wincmd.ini also do not resolve the problem, maybe increase it actually!
I am using TC 10.00 64bit (10.06.2021), but if I remember correctly back in time and previous versions have this problem.

Update#1[09:45,19.12.2021]: The same applies and for "tar", "gz", "tgz" (and "zip"). They all add one hour (UTC+03:00) to the original time (08:30 + 1 hour = 09:30 = wrong time, wrong time zone)
Update#2[09:45,19.12.2021]: Only "7z" works correct and do not change the time
Update#3[10:07,19.12.2021]: "z" do not change the time, but in preview change the month with -1. and after extraction restore the month

Is it possible to buy one license for one home desktop PC for symbolic price, because 30 eur is too much for me at this time?
If it is possible I undertake to report regularly for every BUG i found and brainstorm for hot future features to make TC greater.
I can start using TC every day, and will spare of my free time to improve this wonderful and useful program.

Anyway I want to thank to the author of this great program. TC is maybe the best file manager and more ever!
Thank you for your great and consistent work!
Last edited by angel on 2021-12-19, 08:25 UTC, edited 4 times in total.
#381167 Single user license [08:50, 26.10.2022]
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [date,dst] Incorect date column of files in zip, made in DST (summer time) and open in normal (winter) time

Post by *Dalai »

As far as I know, ZIP archives save the date and time in local time, not UTC. To be able to transfer archives from one timezone to another or across DST changes, use a different archive format like RAR or 7Z; I think both of them save timestamps in UTC.

See also viewtopic.php?t=75111

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
angel

Re: [date,dst] Incorect date column of files in zip, made in DST (summer time) and open in normal (winter) time

Post by *angel »

I confirm that "7z" and "z" save timestamps in UTC.
"zip", "tar", "gz", "tgz" saves timestaps in local time, but why they not restore the original date after extraction?
Maybe the problem is in WCMZIP32.DLL or WCMZIP64.DLL (for "zip")?
Can we try to fix that, because the "zip" is most well known archiver ever these days?
Idea: some meta data for "zip" to save the UTC and restore the timestamp from this meta data after extraction?
angel

Post by *angel »

Solution for those who want to use zip and to preserve DST and different timezones in zip archives:
(The disadvantage of this solution is not so elegant design and absent of "Set ZIP date to newest file date" feature in the internal zip packer of TC)

1.Install Total7zip 0.8.5.6. because:
a)7-Zip is free software with open source;
b)7-Zip v9.13 beta, released on 2010-04-15, and up now stores NTFS file timestamps to ZIP archives;
c)Total7zip 0.8.5.6 is plug-in uses the original 7-Zip files, and you can use the latest version of 7-Zip to update the plug-in;

2.Insert the following 3 lines in the wincmd.ini ("PluginOverrideZip=1" is not necessary):

[Packer]
PluginOverrideZip=1

[PackerPlugins]
7zip_zip=735,Your path to Total7zip directory\Total7zip.wcx
zip=735,Your path to Total7zip directory\Total7zip.wcx

3.Pack files -> Packer -> 7zip_zip

Summary:
in windows explorer the zip contents will show local dates (wrong dates and times)
In TC the zip contents will show CORRECT dates and times
Bonus:
To emulate "Set ZIP date to newest file date" feature, create the same zip with the internal zip packer (ZipSetDateToNewest=1) and then fast transfer(ALT+F+C) the Date & Time to the new zip!

TC and Zip forever! :D :D :D
anmac1789

Post by *anmac1789 »

Does this change the timestamps inside the zip archive when 'adjust for daylight savings automatically' is toggled on/off in windows settings ? Also, when extracting in summer/spring and then waiting until DST ends and waiting until winter, does the timestamp change ? Assuming we are looking at date modified.

As an example, a file in archive has summer date of Jul 30, 2021 @ 2:30:15 PM. Extract this file today (EDT timezone) (as of Oct 19, 2023) and then wait until winter arrives and DST ends (November 5, 2023) and view the file properties of this file. Will it still say Jul 30, 2021 @ 2:30:15 PM ?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

When packing to ZIP, the stored date and time is always the displayed date and time (local time).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com