Search among open tabs and stored locations

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Notme

Search among open tabs and stored locations

Post by *Notme »

Hi

I have often at least 20-40 tabs open and it can take some time to find the right one.
How can I do this more efficiently, such as in web browsers, where one can start typing a text and get suggestions to switch to some of the open tabs, or bookmarks?

The search tool I'd like to have would:
1. Search as I type, matching wherever in the string.
2. Search among open tabs and stored locations, like directory hotlist and history.
3. Support tags for the items in the directory hotlist, locked tabs, or other.
4. Suggest switching to a matching tab if it is already open.

P.S.: I am aware of file-searching tools like Everything and it's integration into TC.
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Search among open tabs and stored locations

Post by *nsp »

Notme wrote: 2022-01-20, 08:46 UTC Hi

I have often at least 20-40 tabs open and it can take some time to find the right one.
If you open so many tabs without remembering what is what is somehow a questionable process the same with hotlist. Currently quicksearch can work as you want inside current tab.
Notme wrote: 2022-01-20, 08:46 UTCHow can I do this more efficiently, such as in web browsers, where one can start typing a text and get suggestions to switch to some of the open tabs, or bookmarks?

The search tool I'd like to have would:
1. Search as I type, matching wherever in the string.
2. Search among open tabs and stored locations, like directory hotlist and history.
3. Support tags for the items in the directory hotlist, locked tabs, or other.
4. Suggest switching to a matching tab if it is already open.

P.S.: I am aware of file-searching tools like Everything and it's integration into TC.
My web browser do not support such a search and i would be curious to see how it can works efficiently !

File searching just gives you a hint of where is the file on your drives but will not help to target any open/locked tab and will not switch to a matching tab.

TC do no have any built-in support for tags.

If you are a programmer, you could create a AHK, Autoit, powerpro.... taking advantage of the exported tab list and looking for hotlist in config files to help you switch to any open tab on your drives. Looking on virtual folder, search results, and file system plugins should be harder...

You can make a suggestion on dedicated forum !
Notme

Re: Search among open tabs and stored locations

Post by *Notme »

If you open so many tabs without remembering what is what is somehow a questionable process the same with hotlist.
Questionable as it is, that's how I work (efficiently).
Currently quicksearch can work as you want inside current tab.
I know and that wasn't the point of my question.
My web browser do not support such a search and i would be curious to see how it can works efficiently !
I bet you would!
File searching just gives you a hint of where is the file on your drives but will not help to target any open/locked tab and will not switch to a matching tab.
I know. That was the point of me mentioning that I was aware of "Everything".
.... taking advantage of the exported tab list
Yes, I am using AHK. How would you export a list of open tabs to use in AHK?