Two suggestions and a bug.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

kwanbis

Two suggestions and a bug.

Post by *kwanbis »

I have a couple of suggestions.

1) The Copy/Move dialog box is too small. I have a huge monitor and it will be great to expandit so that I can read the FROM and TO if it is long.

2) In multi rename, the Define Counter / Digits, is a dropbox, instead of a up/down like Start AT. Start At is much better/easier to use.

3) This is the right bug: Multi-rename tool treats the last dot of a folder name as a maker for folder extension.

Folder: a-b-c.x-y-z
Replace: - with _
Uncheck: [e] in search and replace (file extension)

Expected for a folder: a_b_c.x_y_z
Result: a_b_c.x-y-z.

Image: https://imgur.com/a/aa7Dq3G.png

It is treating .x-y-z as an extension and no doing the replace.

My 2 cents. Thanks.
Last edited by kwanbis on 2022-01-22, 23:59 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Two suggestions and a bug.

Post by *petermad »

So for example, if I have extension disabled in renaming, and a folder is called "Born in the U.S.A." it will treate it as if the name of the folder is "Born in the U" and there is an extension "S.A.". So if I try to make all lowercase, for example, it will end up "born in the u.S.A."
That is not correct - if you have a blank Extension field (I guess that is what you mean by disabled) in the Multi Rename tool and choose "all lowercase" the result will be: "born in the u.s" <https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/multialllowercase1.png>

If you have the default [E] in the Extension field, the result will be "born in the u.s.a" - just as you want <https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/multialllowercase2.png>
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
kwanbis

Post by *kwanbis »

OK, it seems I explained it wrong. Here you have the bug.
Folder: a-b-c.x-y-z
Replace: - with _
Uncheck: [e] in search and replace (file extension)

Expected for a folder: a_b_c.x_y_z
Result: a_b_c.x-y-z.

Image: https://imgur.com/a/aa7Dq3G.png

It is treating .x-y-z as an extension and no doing the replace.
damjang

Post by *damjang »

Hm, first just a little clarification: I'm unable to have a dir "Born in the U.S.A.", the last dot is not saved... so only "Born in the U.S.A".

I understand that TC treats the [N] = "Born in the U.S" and [E] = "A" because if you use [ U][N][L] and the extension field is [E] you have "BORN IN THE U.S.a", so yes directories are also treated as if they have extensions.
damjang

Post by *damjang »

kwanbis wrote: 2022-01-22, 21:14 UTC 3) In multi rename, the Define Counter / Digits, is a dropbox, instead of a up/down like Start AT. Start At is much better/easier to use.
I think that Digits is 1-10 and "a". If you have up/down it is difficult to "find" the "a"...
kwanbis

Post by *kwanbis »

damjang wrote: 2022-01-23, 00:02 UTC
kwanbis wrote: 2022-01-22, 21:14 UTC 3) In multi rename, the Define Counter / Digits, is a dropbox, instead of a up/down like Start AT. Start At is much better/easier to use.
I think that Digits is 1-10 and "a". If you have up/down it is difficult to "find" the "a"...
Why would an a be there? It is the number of digits. Maybe it is to use letters? never saw it before, much less used it.
kwanbis

Post by *kwanbis »

Just tried it and I don''t get what is for.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Why would an a be there? It is the number of digits. Maybe it is to use letters? never saw it before, much less used it.
See the Help:
Help wrote:The option "a" automatically determines the number of digits from the number of files/folders.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

kwanbis wrote:It is treating .x-y-z as an extension and no doing the replace.
And what makes you think that directories can't have extensions.

BTW this has been discussed before (whether directories has extensions or not) - it is not a bug, it is by design.

I understand the confusion, since TC does not show the extension of a directory in the Extension column (when "aligned (with Tab)" is chosen in the Tabstops setting).

You can even make TC sort directories by extension by using SortDirExt=1 in the [Configuration] section of the wincmd.ini file (when the Display option "Sorting directories" is not set to "Always by name").
Help wrote:SortDirExt=0 Allow to sort directories by extension (only when SortDirsByName=0)

Even the DIR command considers directories to have extensions and can sort directories by extension - see: https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/sortextension.png

Also see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/naming-a-file#naming-conventions where it says:
Because the term directory simply refers to a special type of file as far as the file system is concerned, some reference material will use the general term file to encompass both concepts of directories and data files as such. Because of this, unless otherwise specified, any naming or usage rules or examples for a file should also apply to a directory.
License #524 (1994)
kwanbis

Post by *kwanbis »

petermad wrote: 2022-01-23, 08:55 UTC And what makes you think that directories can't have extensions.
Extensions are made to identify different file types. The rules it refers to is about what characters to use and such, not that folders have extensions.

FOLDE1 is the same type as FOLDER.1 as FOLD.ER1 there is no difference, while file.jpg is different than file.png than file.exe.

If I have a folder named "J.K.Rowling Books", how do you read it:
1) this folder is named "J.K.Rowling Books" or
2) this folder is named "J.K" and has an extension of "Rowling Books"

Folders do NOT have extensions. If you doubt, google "do windows folder have extensions" and see the responses.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

kwanbis wrote: 2022-01-22, 21:14 UTC I have a couple of suggestions.

Then please open next time different threads for each of your different suggestions.

kwanbis wrote: 2022-01-22, 21:14 UTC 3) This is the right bug: Multi-rename tool treats the last dot of a folder name as a maker for folder extension.

For the file system a folder is a file too, just with the directory attribute.

In open MRT press F1 and see:
[A] Old file name, WITH extension (All characters of the name), without the path

So use [A] instead of [N]+[E]

damjang wrote: 2022-01-22, 23:52 UTC Hm, first just a little clarification: I'm unable to have a dir "Born in the U.S.A.", the last dot is not saved... so only "Born in the U.S.A".
Trailing dots and spaces are not supported by the file system.

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2kwanbis
Think of this: You have a file named "Born in the U.S.A". Now try and make a folder with the same name in the same directory - that is not possible, and a proof that the system sees folders and files as the same, just with different attributes. If folders were basically different from files, they could coexist with the same name.

It doesn't matter how I read it, it matters how the system reads it. Just as dates are displayed differently for different languages, but the system stores it the same way.

Also it depends on the example.

My example could be:
I have a folder named "My Pictures.2021"
I would read that as My Pictures from 2021 in contrast to "My Pictures.2022" and it would make perfect sense to be able to sort by the extension "2021" in this case.
License #524 (1994)
NotNull

Post by *NotNull »

kwanbis wrote: 2022-01-23, 10:45 UTC Folders do NOT have extensions.
*Technically* speaking, files don't have extensions either (beyond the long gone MS-DOS/FAT days) from the perspective of the file system.

That being said: File Explorer *does* treat files and folders different in this regard.
Try to rename an ordinary "something.txt" by pressing F2: only the stem of the filename is selected.
Try that on a folder "somnething.folder" and the entire name gets selected.
kwanbis

Post by *kwanbis »

NotNull wrote: 2022-01-23, 16:22 UTC That being said: File Explorer *does* treat files and folders different in this regard.
Try to rename an ordinary "something.txt" by pressing F2: only the stem of the filename is selected.
Try that on a folder "somnething.folder" and the entire name gets selected.
Exactly. Nobody that I know off uses extensions in folders. But if everybody is happy with the way it works, so be it.

I just tough that the two suggestions, why is the copy/move dialog so small?, and the digits make sense.

And for me at least, the way multi-rename treats folders as files makes absolutely no sense, that said, I can use another program to rename when this happens.
kwanbis

Post by *kwanbis »

petermad wrote: 2022-01-23, 15:25 UTC kwanbis
Think of this: You have a file named "Born in the U.S.A". Now try and make a folder with the same name in the same directory - that is not possible, and a proof that the system sees folders and files as the same, just with different attributes. If folders were basically different from files, they could coexist with the same name.
That only proves that windows does not want to have repeated names, no matter if a folder or a file.
petermad wrote: 2022-01-23, 15:25 UTC
It doesn't matter how I read it, it matters how the system reads it. Just as dates are displayed differently for different languages, but the system stores it the same way. Also it depends on the example.

My example could be:
I have a folder named "My Pictures.2021"
I would read that as My Pictures from 2021 in contrast to "My Pictures.2022" and it would make perfect sense to be able to sort by the extension "2021" in this case.
Right, I bet people usually name their folders "My Pictures.2021" instead of "My Pictures 2021".

Folders to not have extensions. Plain and simple. Search for "file extensions" windows vs "directory extensions" windows and it is easy to see.