TC and Everything 1.5 alpha

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Infector

TC and Everything 1.5 alpha

Post by *Infector »

I installed Everything 1.5 alpha and trying to use it with TC. But TC says it isn't installed, even with added ini file option
Everything=C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC and Everything 1.5 alpha

Post by *tuska »

Hi,
basically, there are only two settings that need to be made, but ...
  • Everything must be started [e.g. Icon in Systray] to be able to perform a query in TC with integration of Everything.
    This option is recommended: [X] Start Everything on system startup
  • Start your Everything64.exe, e.g. Everything (1.5a) 1.5.0.1298a (x64) - 22.01.2022
  • Tools -> Options -> General: UNTICK Everything Service -> Button "Apply" -> confirm UAC-query with click on YES -> OK
    (This is to remove the Everything 1.5a Service. Later the Everything Service will be named: Everything <and created without 1.5a>).
  • Menu "File" - "Exit"
  • Create an empty file without extension in C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\ with the following filename: NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE
    [The empty file without extension can be created with an editor, for example, in a folder in which write access is available.
    Then move the file: NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE from this folder to C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\ and confirm the UAC query with YES]
  • Start Everything and confirm the suggested option "Start the "Everything" service (recommended)" with OK.
    Then confirm the UAC query with YES. Everything Service with name: Everything is created (see: Task-Manager, Tab "Services").

• After that, only Everything 1.5.0.1298a (x64) ... without (1.5a) is displayed in the title bar
  • In the Task Manager, under the "Services" tab, only Everything is displayed as Everything Service (1.5a is omitted).
  • In these directories the following files can be deleted [or renamed if necessary] after exiting 'Everything':
    C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Everything-1.5a.ini
    C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Plugins-1.5a.ini
    C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Search History-1.5a.csv (%APPDATA%\Everything\)
    C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Everything\Everything-1.5a.db (%$LOCAL_APPDATA%\Everything\)

since these files were newly created (without -1.5a):
    C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Everything.ini
    C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Plugins.ini (%APPDATA%\Everything\)
    C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Everything\Everything.db (%$LOCAL_APPDATA%\Everything\)
    and future changes will only be saved in these files, i.e. the files which contain 1.5a are obsolete.

Furthermore, this file can also be deleted since it no longer has any function:
    C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything-1.5a.ini

The file C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything.ini with content: alpha_instance=1 would theoretically also be obsolete,
    However, if you delete this file, the checkmark next to "Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything" is gone
    the next time you start Everything! So just leave it there, because changes are saved in %APPDATA%\Everything\ anyway.

• Searching in Total Commander with integration of 'Everything' is thus currently made possible, among other things,
    by the file: NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE (empty file without extension!).

Everything.ini - alpha_instance=0
  • 'Everything': Menu "Tools" -> "Debug" -> "Config"
  • Replace alpha_instance=1 ... with ... alpha_instance=0   [-OR- add a line with content: alpha_instance=0]
  • Save the file "Everything.ini"
  • In 'Everything' confirm the dialogue "Reload configuration file?" with "Yes"
  • Reference: Everything 1.5 SDK)
  • Note:
    If in Everything.ini: alpha_instance=0 ... is NOT set, then after closing Everything alpha_instance=1 (!) is set automatically!

However, I am not sure what effect alpha_instance=0 or alpha_instance=1 in this constellation has,
    because if the file: NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE is in the folder C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\, then...
    - a search with integration of Everything is possible in TC
    - 1.5a is removed from the programme name, the INI files and the name of the Everything Service
    - a search is possible directly in Everything
See also: I recommend the following settings under Menu "Tools" -> "Options..." -> General:
[x] Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything [don't tick if you use 'Everything' portable]
[x] Start Everything on system startup
[ ] Run as administrator
[x] Everything Service
!!! Do NOT run "Everything" as administrator AND use "Everything" Service AT THE SAME TIME. !!!

Check whether the Everything Service is running:
Ctrl+Shift+ESC Open Task Manager, tab "Services" -> type ev, then a little further down the line -> Check Everything:
The status should be "Running".

Windows 10 Pro (x64) Version 21H2 (OS build 19044.1469) | TC 10.00 x64/x86
'Everything' 1.5.0.1298a (x64) | Installing Everything | Troubleshooting
Search queries: TC <=> 'Everything'
Infector

Post by *Infector »

Thank you for the detailed explanation.
Using NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE helps.
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

Infector wrote: 2022-01-24, 05:22 UTC Thank you for the detailed explanation.
Using NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE helps.
This is the main point, in Everything1.5.ini you have to set alpha_instance=0 verify that only one "alpha_instance" property is set in the ini file. Also verify that if you changed the instance name you edit the right ini file.
Setting the startup command for TC in %COMMANDER_INI% like :
Everything=%APPDATA%\Everything\Everything64.exe -startup
Can Also helps if you do not run Everything at startup !
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2tuska
Do you have any knowledge of whether all this has to be done with the FINAL version of Everything 1.5 once it is released?

And - in short - what are the benefits of version 1.5 to the current 1.4.1.1015 when it only has to be used with TC
Last edited by petermad on 2022-01-24, 07:59 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Infector

Post by *Infector »

I suppose this workaround won't be needed when Everything 1.5 FINAL will be released. It should work out of the box.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

petermad wrote: 2022-01-24, 07:48 UTC 2tuska
Do you have any knowledge of whether all this has to be done with the FINAL version of Everything 1.5 once it is released?
void wrote: 2021-04-28, 12:00 UTC ... I never intended for Everything 1.5 alpha to replace 1.4.
The alpha instance will be removed once Everything 1.5 is in beta.
I can only assume that the above-mentioned current required setting in Everything in the beta version
will either be automatically overridden by Everything or automatically adjusted.
A one-time "clean-up action" by the user, i.e. deleting the file "NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE", can certainly not hurt.
The settings will then be updated here under point 13. by me.
There will certainly be a timely announcement from a TC forum user regarding the Everything beta version.
petermad wrote: 2022-01-24, 07:48 UTC 2tuska
And - in short - what are the benefits of version 1.5 to the current 1.4.1.1015 when it only has to be used with TC
There are a lot of benefits (What's New, Improvements).

For me, for example, I can name these:
  1. Update in background:
    Everything 1.5 will now update your indexes in the background.
    You can now search immediately after starting Everything, without having to wait for the database to update.
  2. Content Indexing
  3. Property indexing, searching, displaying and sorting
  4. Improvement in searching performance and faster searching
  5. Windows Search
    The Windows Search can be used for search queries, e.g. Outlook messages (*.msg)
    * in Total Commander -> only with integration of the tool 'Everything'
    * in 'Everything
    using the 'Everything' parameter -> systemindex: or si:
  6. ... and a lot more ... e.g. configurable title bar and footer

Btw, I think that's not a bug...
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2tuska
Thanks for the info :)

Content- and property indexing sounds interesting - how is content indexing integrated with TC's "Find text" in the Find Files dialog?

I am not sure what Windows Search embraces - it is for searching in Microsoft Office files and Outlook (which I don't have either of)?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

petermad wrote: 2022-01-24, 13:35 UTC 2tuska
Content- and property indexing sounds interesting - how is content indexing integrated with TC's "Find text" in the Find Files dialog?
Content indexing:
Search for: *.ini
[x] 'Everything'
[x] Find text: Buttonheight120=29
=> Parameters ed: or ev: are not used here and thus Everything's indexed file content search cannot be used here.
However, the search result is still faster than without the integration of Everything.

I find that the search result takes a little longer than this query:
Search for: ed:ext:ini content:Buttonheight120=29
=> *.ini is file content indexed in Everything;
=> Tools -> Options... -> Content -> [x] Index file content
    Include only folders:  D:\
    Include only files:      *.doc;*.docx;*.txt;*.pdf;*.xls;*.xlsx;*.ion;*.ini;*.eml

Property indexing:
[x] 'Everything'
Plugin            Property:         OP            Value
shelldetails    Kommentare    contains    Dokument

I find that the search result takes a little longer than this query:
Search for: ed:comment:Dokument
=> Property "Comment" is indexed in Everything;
=> Tools -> Options... -> Properties:  [x] Include files [x] Fast Sort
    Properties            Include only files   
    Authors                *.doc;*.dot;*.docx;*.dotx;*.pdf;*.xls;*.xlsx;*.xlsm;*.xlt;*.xltx;*.xltm;*.ppt;*.pptx
    Comment             *.doc;*.dot;*.docx;*.dotx;*.pdf;*.xls;*.xlsx;*.xlsm;*.xlt;*.xltx;*.xltm;*.ppt;*.pptx; *.jpg
    Container Filenames    *.zip
    Date Taken           D:\Bilder\**.jpg
    Subject                *.doc;*.dot;*.docx;*.dotx;*.pdf;*.xls;*.xlsx;*.xlsm;*.xlt;*.xltx;*.xltm;*.ppt;*.pptx
    Tags                     *.doc;*.dot;*.docx;*.dotx;*.pdf;*.xls;*.xlsx;*.xlsm;*.xlt;*.xltx;*.xltm;*.ppt;*.pptx
    Title                    *.doc;*.dot;*.docx;*.dotx;*.pdf;*.xls;*.xlsx;*.xlsm;*.xlt;*.xltx;*.xltm;*.ppt;*.pptx
petermad wrote: 2022-01-24, 13:35 UTC 2tuska
I am not sure what Windows Search embraces - is it for searching in Microsoft Office files and Outlook (which I don't have either of)?
  1. In Windows, any drives and file types can be indexed or excluded from indexing -> "Change indexed locations".
    Indexing should normally not cause any problems with regard to RAM.
    I only mentioned the *.msg file type because Everything does not support file content searching for this file type,
    but with the "Windows Search" in Everything (si:). || Preview for .msg files is also possible in Everything.
  2. In Everything, on the other hand, only the most important file types should be indexed, since Everything keeps the data in RAM.
    This means that you should keep an eye on the memory consumption/Everything.db. Search results are available in real time(!).
  3. Here's a PICTURE.
  4. 14. Windows Search in Total Commander and 'Everything' -> from 'Everything' 1.5.0.1258a
    (includes Windows Search -> Setup - Indexing Options -> Example only!)
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

tuska wrote: 2022-01-23, 21:14 UTC ... 
However, I am not sure what effect alpha_instance=0 or alpha_instance=1 in this constellation has,
because if the file: NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE is in the folder C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\, then...
- a search with integration of Everything is possible in TC
- 1.5a is removed from the programme name, the INI files and the name of the Everything Service
- a search is possible directly in Everything
void (author of Everything) - 25.01.2022 wrote:
To clarify:

NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE completely disables the 1.5a instance.
The alpha_instance ini setting is completely ignored when this file exists.

alpha_instance=0
Only works from the Everything.ini in the same location as your Everything64.exe
Is ignored if the NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE file exists.

When alpha_instance is disabled, the 1.5a instance is no longer used for IPC window class names,
IPC named window messages and the process mutex.

However, the 1.5a instance still applies to data and setting filenames:
Everything-1.5a.db
Everything-1.5a.ini
Filters-1.5a.csv
Bookmarks.1.5a.csv
Search History.1.5a.csv
Run History.1.5a.csv

In my opinion in practice, this means the following -
without going into further technical details (that I do not understand):

C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\... without file: NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE ...
C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe
C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything-1.5a.ini            <- Change from alpha_instance=1 to alpha_instance=0 required!
C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Everything-1.5a.ini
C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Plugins-1.5a.ini
C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Everything\Everything-1.5a.db
Header of Everything: Everything (1.5a) 1.5.0.1298a (x64)
Everything Service:   Everything (1.5a)
- OR -
C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\... with file: NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE
C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe
C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything.ini
C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE   [<- File without content and file extension to be created by the user].
C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Everything.ini
C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Plugins.ini
C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Everything\Everything.db
Header of Everything: Everything 1.5.0.1298a (x64)
Everything Service:   Everything

Analogously, this also applies to a portable installation of Everything, e.g. in C:\Tools\Everything:
[ ] Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything
In this case, all files are located in the same directory as the programme file, e.g. Everything64.exe.
Example: -> e.g. C:\Tools\Everything\Everything64.exe, C:\Tools\Everything\Everything.ini, etc.

C:\Tools\Everything\ ... without file: NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE ... Everything.ini in the same location as your Everything64.exe(!)
C:\Tools\Everything\Everything-1.5a.ini ........................... Change from alpha_instance=1 to alpha_instance=0 required!
-OR-
C:\Tools\Everything\ ....... with file: NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE ... ignores alpha_instance ini setting (alpha_instance=0, alpha_instance=1)
C:\Tools\Everything\NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE ...................... [<- File without content and file extension to be created by the user]
C:\Tools\Everything\Everything.ini

With these settings, a search in Total Commander using the tool 'Everything' is possible.

Reference:
How to have 1.5 not use 1.5a .db .ini
Last edited by tuska on 2022-01-26, 21:52 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Infector wrote: 2022-01-23, 18:19 UTC I installed Everything 1.5 alpha and trying to use it with TC. But TC says it isn't installed, even with added ini file option
Everything=C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe
wincmd.ini

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
Everything=C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe -startup
Everything=
Help - F1: Ini file Settings - Part 1: Configuration wrote: Everything=Everything.exe -startup
Set location of Everything.exe to run when user checks "Everything" checkbox while Everything isn't running yet.
Without this option, Everything.exe will be searched in the Total Commander folder. ...
This option in Total Commander allows a search in Total Commander using 'Everything' if desired,
although 'Everything' has NOT STARTED yet -> in the TC "Find Files" window tick the check box for 'Everything' ->
this starts 'Everything' in the background. The search in TC with 'Everything' can then be continued in this window.
(It is also possible - without ticking the option box(!) - to simply perform the search, e.g. ev:searchword ...
'Everything' is started automatically in the background and the option box for 'Everything' is ticked automatically).
[You could also start 'Everything' by clicking on the 'Everything' icon in the taskbar (but in this case it is more cumbersome)].

If this option (Everything=) is NOT present in wincmd.ini and 'Everything' is closed, you get in "Find files" window in TC
a separate window 'Everything' with note... wrote: 'Everything is a search tool and search index for the NTFS file
system."

'Everything isn't installed!. Do you want to download it now?
Button: Yes        Button: No
if you tick the option box for 'Everything'.

Those users who have checked the option "Start Everything on system startup" in 'Everything' and thus have 'Everything' open
automatically (e.g. in the background with an icon in the systray -> <Option: Show tray icon>) do not need this option.

However, the entry in the wincmd.ini is nice to have, as it can still save a few clicks if necessary.
Examples:

Code: Select all

Everything=C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe -startup
Everything=C:\Tools\Everything\Everything64.exe -startup
Parameter: -startup ... means "Run 'Everything' in the background".

I therefore assume that in this case the notification message about the missing installation of 'Everything'
is due to a missing parameter (file: NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE -OR- Everything.ini alpha_instance=0) and a missing user input.

In my opinion, this is not a bug (as already said above).
joe910

Post by *joe910 »

I have read the thread twice now and researched my ini files because I did not remember making any changes to the Everything ini file when I started using the alpha version v1.50.

I use the latest version of Everything - version 1.5.0.1298a (x64) and do not use version 1.4x.

In Everything.ini I have alpha_instance=1

In wincmd.ini I have the following:
Everything="%!Cmdr_Apps%\Everythingv1.5\Everything64.exe" -startup
EverythingForSize=1
EverythingForTree=1
UseEverything=1
UseEverythingInstance=1.5a

This works for me. Am I missing something?
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2joe910

Everything.ini: alpha_instance=1
wincmd.ini [Configuration] UseEverythingInstance=1.5a
can be used as well!

In this case, you will receive the following files, for example (-1.5a):
Everything-1.5a.db, Everything-1.5a.ini, Plugins-1.5a.ini,...

This setting variant has the advantage that a separate Everything Service can be used
for Everything 1.5 as well as for Everything 1.4. and you do not have to start Everything as an administrator.

(With alpha_instance=0 ***) and simultaneous start of Everything 1.5 (with Everything Service) AND 1.4,
Everything 1.4 can additionally only be used with administrator rights (NO Everything Service).
See: https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=398638#p398638

***) viewtopic.php?p=398582#p398582
Horst.Epp wrote:alpha_instance=0 -> With this you no longer should set UseEverythingInstance=1.5a in wincmd.ini.
With this variant, a separate Everything service would be set up for each additional Everything instance.
(When using the variant "NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE" and when using several Everything instances
a single Everything service named: "Everything" is used).

Everything Service name (Task-Manager, Tab "Services" <German: "Dienste">)
- Everything (1.5a) for Everything (1.5a) 1.5.0.1298a (x64)
- Everything ....... for Everything Version 1.4.1.1016 (x64)

Thank you for raising the issue as it is an important addition. :)

A user can therefore currently choose from 3 variants.
  • NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE
    File without content and file extension to be created by the user in the same location as your Everything64.exe, e.g.
    C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE
    C:\Tools\Everything\NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE
    The alpha_instance ini setting (alpha_instance=0 -OR- alpha_instance=1) is completely ignored when this file exists.
    File names, e.g. Everything.ini, Everything.db, etc.

• alpha_instance=0
    C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything-1.5a.ini
    C:\Tools\Everything\Everything-1.5a.ini
    Change from alpha_instance=1 to alpha_instance=0 required!
    Only works from the Everything.ini in the same location as your Everything64.exe.
    Is ignored if the NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE file exists.
    File names, e.g. Everything-1.5a.ini, Everything-1.5a.db, etc.

• Everything.ini: alpha_instance=1 || wincmd.ini [Configuration] UseEverythingInstance=1.5a
    File names, e.g. Everything-1.5a.ini, Everything-1.5a.db, etc.

joe910

Post by *joe910 »

2tuska

Thanks for the clarification. I understand the explanation, thanks for taking the time to explain the variants.