Wanted option : quick search bar

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Jazeker

Wanted option : quick search bar

Post by *Jazeker »

Hello all,

Been a long time user and big time fan of TC (ex-WC, that is). It has been my number one program on PC since windows 3.11 ... go figure.

But today I am lacking on feature that would make it the greatest ever built. Users of Mozilla Thunderbird will know the little search bar on top of your mailbox window. the moment you type something in there, your window limits itself to those entries that match your query. The moment you hit the quit icon in that search bar, it removes your query and you see everything in that mail folder again while keeping what you selected during the limited view. That's the feature I really need for TC... Power combined with flexibility.

Searching in a somewhat crowded folder has always been the only pain in TC. Due to the command line bar at the bottom of TC (for which I am thankful) it was not possible to type some letters and hope that TC would move to the file or folder close to what you typed like normal MS Windows explorer windows would do. However, this remained a big problem because I often work with directories containing lots of files.

Anyone agrees with me that this would be a powerful TC feature ?
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Did you try CTRL+ALT+letter ?
ado

Re: Wanted option : quick search bar

Post by *ado »

Jazeker wrote:...it was not possible to type some letters and hope that TC would move to the file or folder close to what you typed like normal MS Windows explorer windows would do....
as soon as you realize that what Gral suggested to you to try is probably your missing feature, you can take a look to Configuration -> Options -> Operation: "Quick search" group-box
...and you'll see that you can configure also jumping to files by typing like normal MS Windows explorer windows would do.... 8)

ado
Jazeker

Post by *Jazeker »

ado wrote:
Jazeker wrote:...it was not possible to type some letters and hope that TC would move to the file or folder close to what you typed like normal MS Windows explorer windows would do....
as soon as you realize that what Gral suggested to you to try is probably your missing feature, you can take a look to Configuration -> Options -> Operation: "Quick search" group-box
...and you'll see that you can configure also jumping to files by typing like normal MS Windows explorer windows would do.... 8)

ado
Lovely !!

However... a search box that limits the window results to the matches only would still be super feature :-)

But thanks for the suggestions both of you !
ado

Post by *ado »

you mean....as you type, it will automatically change contents of panel to show only files matching what you typed? ...hm...bad luck
Anyway, there are 2 more good news to you.
1. In Quick Search you can use *
2. Press Alt-F7 search your files and there is button "Feed to listbox", that will transfer your result set into panel (if you'll press it with Shift pressed, it will load it into new TAB)

ado
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Jazeker wrote: ...
However... a search box that limits the window results to the matches only would still be super feature :-)
There is already similar option.
Show -> Custom (CTRL+F12).
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

BTW: Has already been discussed:

possibility a)
autohide non-matching files. Problem - needs to reread whole dir if user presses backspace (IIRC Christian's answer correctly); maybe the list could be kept in memory?

possibility b)
select matching files. Not sure if Christian answered this, however, I see a problem with an existing selection.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Jazeker

Post by *Jazeker »

Gral wrote:
Super... just found it myself by accident actually. I must have been sleeping when checking out the previous answer :D

TC rules... it does not more than that... it just rules.
szlori

Post by *szlori »

Jazeker wrote:
Gral wrote:
Super... just found it myself by accident actually. I must have been sleeping when checking out the previous answer :D

TC rules... it does not more than that... it just rules.
I just found that in your Thunderbird example, the selection you make in the filtered list is preserved when you come back to see the full list.
This sounds like a useful feature.
In TC however, if you switch from Custom filter (Ctrl+F12) back to Show All (Ctrl+F10), you loose your selection. :cry:

Wouldn't this be a nice feature for TC (to preserve the selection)?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2szlori
you loose your selection
You can save your selection to either clipboard (cm_CopyNamesToClip) or file (cm_SaveSelectionToFile) - and then later retrieve it with either cm_LoadSelectionFromClip or cm_LoadSelectionFromFile.

Or you can use cm_SaveSelection and then recall it with cm_RestoreSelection (NUM /).
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar